Afrihost midnight to 8am free uncapped coming off my cap

killerbyte

Expert Member
Last night before bed I hit my cap, so I went to bed early confident that at midnight the new month would start and the free uncapped window would be open.
This has been my schedule for all my downloads. Torrents, NZBs, even Steam all download from 00:00 to 08:00 every day. By managing my downloads like this I know I am getting the best value for money.

So imagine my shock when I check my usage this morning and notice that I have used 20GB of my fresh cap.

Has anyone else seen this?
I will be contacting Afrihost at 8 when their phone lines open but I wanted to know if anyone else has noticed this issue on their capped fibre accounts with Afrihost.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
According to Afrihost, the Radius server of Telkom is not real time, that means that they may only get the report of some usage after the window.

Their argument was that they give 12-7 but since the calculation for properly giving uncapped at that time is difficult, so they made it till 8.

Then their marketing ran away with it.

So set your downloads at about 12h30 till 07h00 instead.

They still can't get roll over on the capped fiber products right, them sorting this out properly is a pipe dream.

ranger

Expert Member
According to Afrihost, the Radius server of Telkom is not real time, that means that they may only get the report of some usage after the window.

RADIUS accounting (without vendor-specific extensions) is never realtime. Sure, you can set a very short interim accounting interval, but that increases everyone's costs.

Telkom Wholesale/Openserve currently limits the interim accounting updates to not be less than an hour, in order to not have excessive accounting load on the edge routers (many of which have over 10 000 sessions).

But, of course, RADIUS from the edge router that terminates the PPP session isn't the only way to do accounting.

For example, Telkom Internet wanted real-time multi-quota accounting, so has a DPI platform in-line that supports both standards-based (Diameter Gx/Gy) real-time usage management and a more efficient vendor-specific-approach.

The way this works is that traffic from a new IP address triggers a lookup on the Subscriber Profile Repository (SPR), so the PCEF knows the subscriber name and relevant subscriber attributes such ad the plan they are on and whether they are over quota or not, the PCEF then sets up a charging session for the type of traffic (code on the PCEF can be customised by the operator to match time, protocol, subscriber attributes to a quota type) to the PCRF, which returns to the PCEF how much data the subscriber can use before the PCEF must report the usage (which is dynamically calculated), and the frequency it should report the usage (if the data reporting threshold is not reached).

(Of course, there are some other potential problems with solutions like this, but they are not insurmountable)

Afrihost runs the same traffic management platform, but they don't seem to be interested in improving the customer experience here ...

TLDR: Afrihost has options to improve this, they shouldn't blame Telkom/Openserve if they have decided that the RADIUS solution is a sufficiently adequate experience for their customers that they are not prepared to spend money on a solution which would avoid incorrectly accounting for usage.

killerbyte

Expert Member
The even shorter answer is that I was an idiot and read the clientzone page like and idiot and I had not in fact used any of my cap. And then I phoned Afrihost and realised I was an idiot as they told me I had not used any of my cap but had used free time data.

My apologies to Afrihost.