Afrihost Mobile Feedback

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
3G makes no difference and if I use MYMTN then it says I have no data so I cannot test it.

The Mybroadband speedtest app is zero rated on the MyMTN apn. You would be able to do a speedtest at least on it without having any data

Skerminkel

Expert Member
I wanted to purchase a new Air Mobile sim to add to my existing AH account. Courier delivery is R250! That is more than two months' charge on a Mobile XS package!
(Theoretically you can walk into an MTN store and buy one, but the process is so cumbersome just the time the call centre agent uses to explain it is another month's cost gone.)

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I wanted to purchase a new Air Mobile sim to add to my existing AH account. Courier delivery is R250! That is more than two months' charge on a Mobile XS package!
(Theoretically you can walk into an MTN store and buy one, but the process is so cumbersome just the time the call centre agent uses to explain it is another month's cost gone.)

The courier feed is a bit high so I would definitely recommend getting a prepaid sim from a store as provision only takes 3 hours or so and then the sim is active on our APN.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
The courier feed is a bit high so I would definitely recommend getting a prepaid sim from a store as provision only takes 3 hours or so and then the sim is active on our APN.
Thanks for replying. I eventually did this. Still took two days to get activated.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Thanks for replying. I eventually did this. Still took two days to get activated.

There is that delay if the new sim is just switched on.

If you load airtime and make a quick call provisioning doesn't take that long. Sorry for not mentioning it.

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
Hi @Afri-peeps, I have 2 #DataForAll sim cards from a couple years back, haven't used them since then and tried to use the one now but I get a "SIM registration failed" message when I've inserted it into a feature phone.

On Clientzone the sims aren't obviously disabled though I suspect that they actually are in some way. Any advice please on getting them working again?

1624223023180.png

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Hi @Afri-peeps, I have 2 #DataForAll sim cards from a couple years back, haven't used them since then and tried to use the one now but I get a "SIM registration failed" message when I've inserted it into a feature phone.

On Clientzone the sims aren't obviously disabled though I suspect that they actually are in some way. Any advice please on getting them working again?

View attachment 1092167

That likely means that MTN has disconnected those simcards due to inactivity.

I would suggest that you get a new prepaid sim and then register it as a Air Mobile prepaid. You will then be able to transfer those legacy @DataForAll allocations to the new sim. The data for all is legay packages and once cancelled can not be re-activated.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
It's still every bit as broken. I desperately need to keep working during the load shedding now, and my Afrihost data on my phone is basically unusable. There are brief intermittent spurts, literally a few seconds per minute, where I have some throughput and a frozen page will finally half load.

Right now I'm running alright on my Rain sim, despite it having ±25% signal, and paying R50/GB when I have several gigs on my Afrihost sim and full signal on MTN. Starting to think I need to bail and get a Vodacom contract rather. What exactly are my options in trying to get this to work? I've given up restarting my device and toggling data constantly. That's not a sustainable solution and only helps briefly anyway.
Quoting you as I have found the exact same in PE lately. When I am away from home and off WiFi, my Afrihost Mobile connection is very spotty.

I get connectivity in drips and drabs, and no amount of fiddling with the APN seems to work. I did once get it to work by forcing my phone to use 3G and not LTE, but also only for around ten minutes at a time. I thought maybe it was a PE thing. My fiance on MTN has no issues so I am guessing it might be something to do with the Afrihost APN not working well for us.

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
That likely means that MTN has disconnected those simcards due to inactivity.

I would suggest that you get a new prepaid sim and then register it as a Air Mobile prepaid. You will then be able to transfer those legacy @DataForAll allocations to the new sim. The data for all is legay packages and once cancelled can not be re-activated.

Thanks, OK a new mtn prepaid sim. Registering as Air Mobile prepaid is that done on client zone?

Do I lose the cell numbers I used to have on the #dataforall packages on my profile or can I retain them?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Thanks, OK a new mtn prepaid sim. Registering as Air Mobile prepaid is that done on client zone?

Do I lose the cell numbers I used to have on the #dataforall packages on my profile or can I retain them?

So those 2 number are probably already recycled and used by someone else. The packages are still active with Afrihost because it's a separate system as MTN and our system won't know when MTN disconnects a simcard due to inactivity.

I would suggest getting a prepaid sim from Checkers or Pep and then signup on airmobile.co.za or via clientzone using the new number. You can then transfer the data allocation to the new sim number.

If you don't need them you can just submit the cancellation of those 2 numbers and then the cancellation run it's course.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Quoting you as I have found the exact same in PE lately. When I am away from home and off WiFi, my Afrihost Mobile connection is very spotty.

I get connectivity in drips and drabs, and no amount of fiddling with the APN seems to work. I did once get it to work by forcing my phone to use 3G and not LTE, but also only for around ten minutes at a time. I thought maybe it was a PE thing. My fiance on MTN has no issues so I am guessing it might be something to do with the Afrihost APN not working well for us.
I had an opportunity to test this over the weekend, as a family member is on MTN. Zero issues, lightning fast for them, while I sit with a broken connection barely 2m away.

Afrihost has a serious problem on MTN's network.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I had an opportunity to test this over the weekend, as a family member is on MTN. Zero issues, lightning fast for them, while I sit with a broken connection barely 2m away.

Afrihost has a serious problem on MTN's network.

I have also done a bit of testing over the weekend with the APN and I'm unable replicate the issue at all.

I really want the issue to be fixed but we aren't queries about it and the traffic graphs show normal traffic.

Let me ask the network engineer to have a look again.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
I have also done a bit of testing over the weekend with the APN and I'm unable replicate the issue at all.

I really want the issue to be fixed but we aren't queries about it and the traffic graphs show normal traffic.

Let me ask the network engineer to have a look again.
I'm happy to do testing from my side as well, although the issue seems sporadic and hard to pinpoint when the issues appear.

On my side (Android 10), I see full signal strength, but no data flows or sometimes it does load drips and drabs. I will see, for instance, WhatsApp notifying me that it is checking for new messages, but nothing further happens. If I toggle the mobile data on and off a few times, there's maybe a 10% chance of a message coming through.

I'm also based in PE, BTW. Not sure if the issue is perhaps localized to the area or more widespread.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I'm happy to do testing from my side as well, although the issue seems sporadic and hard to pinpoint when the issues appear.

On my side (Android 10), I see full signal strength, but no data flows or sometimes it does load drips and drabs. I will see, for instance, WhatsApp notifying me that it is checking for new messages, but nothing further happens. If I toggle the mobile data on and off a few times, there's maybe a 10% chance of a message coming through.

I'm also based in PE, BTW. Not sure if the issue is perhaps localized to the area or more widespread.

The issue we are facing is that MTN is moving where they are handing traffic over us around. For example I'm based in JHB but MTN is taking the traffic to CPT and then gives it to us there. This however doesn't slow down the speeds as I was still able to achieve 500Mbps download on MTN 5G.

Nikkel

Expert Member

In CTN and can confirm the exact same happens to me... its intermittend

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The issue we are facing is that MTN is moving where they are handing traffic over us around. For example I'm based in JHB but MTN is taking the traffic to CPT and then gives it to us there. This however doesn't slow down the speeds as I was still able to achieve 500Mbps download on MTN 5G.
Time for Afrihost to sit MTN down for a real talk.

giphy.gif

webyep

Doesn't slow the speed... but it's increasing latency right? Are they doing this accidentally, or are they trying to start a revolution? :unsure:

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Doesn't slow the speed... but it's increasing latency right? Are they doing this accidentally, or are they trying to start a revolution? :unsure:

I don't think it's intentional. I want to get some tests where Afrihost APN vs MTN APN so we can compare and show MTN the issues.

I have quite a bit of tests with the Afrihost APN but I don't have tests showing the MTN apn which is performing better?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member

If I can transfer you some airtime to do tests using the MTN apn can you do some comparative traceroutes for me between the MTN and Afrihost APN?