Afrihost MTN Fixed LTE-A Thread

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Does this work with any router or only specific models? I have a Huawei B315 Router.

EDIT: Nevermind, just searched some posts which state MTN will block access if you don't use an approved router.

BCR

Expert Member
No internet since switching on again a short while ago (ie. red light on B525 doesn't go to blue as usual) on "Auto" in Network Settings - Preferred Mode.
Change it to 1800Mhz (4G Only)" and thankfully that light is now blue, and internet now usable.

Anyone else experiencing this recently / today ?
If it persists into tomorrow, will ask you at Afrihost to look into it, but for some reason AfriNatic couldn't determine where my tower was when I gave the full Cell ID in the last 2 weeks.

A speedtest about 10 minutes ago showed low download of around 7Mbps + upload of around 30 Mbps on the 1800 spectrum (which is what I periodically get on an "Auto" setting as well).

I just hope 1800 doesn't go down for me as well, as there's no other option after that (ie. no 2300 like on Telkom).

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
No internet since switching on again a short while ago (ie. red light on B525 doesn't go to blue as usual) on "Auto" in Network Settings - Preferred Mode.
Change it to 1800Mhz (4G Only)" and thankfully that light is now blue, and internet now usable.

Anyone else experiencing this recently / today ?
If it persists into tomorrow, will ask you at Afrihost to look into it, but for some reason AfriNatic couldn't determine where my tower was when I gave the full Cell ID in the last 2 weeks.

A speedtest about 10 minutes ago showed low download of around 7Mbps + upload of around 30 Mbps on the 1800 spectrum (which is what I periodically get on an "Auto" setting as well).

I just hope 1800 doesn't go down for me as well, as there's no other option after that (ie. no 2300 like on Telkom).

Hi,

Could be that MTN suspended the simcard. Please drop me a pm with your clientzone email for me to check.

BCR

Expert Member
Hi,

Could be that MTN suspended the simcard. Please drop me a pm with your clientzone email for me to check.

Thanks for responding on a public holiday !

Seems it was a temporary glitch, as I've just checked the various available frequencies in the router, and "Auto" now gets the blue icon appearing on the B525 along with the others (except for "3G Only" + the 2300Mhz, for Telkom only I presume).

Just to be sure, I'll have sent you my details in a PM to ensure this SIM's still ok, for next time you check on the forum.

As an aside, should "3G Only" be available to us using MTN SIM's, as it hasn't since I got this one in May, but Telkom SIMs were still active for 3G last I checked ?
It's worth having as many options available, especially when you're only left with one like I was earlier today (being the 1800Mhz one).

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Thanks for responding on a public holiday !

Seems it was a temporary glitch, as I've just checked the various available frequencies in the router, and "Auto" now gets the blue icon appearing on the B525 along with the others (except for "3G Only" + the 2300Mhz, for Telkom only I presume).

Just to be sure, I'll have sent you my details in a PM to ensure this SIM's still ok, for next time you check on the forum.

As an aside, should "3G Only" be available to us using MTN SIM's, as it hasn't since I got this one in May, but Telkom SIMs were still active for 3G last I checked ?
It's worth having as many options available, especially when you're only left with one like I was earlier today (being the 1800Mhz one).

Okay so on MTN fixed LTE only 4G works.

On Telkom 3G there may be 3G fall back if 4G doesn't work.

On Air Mobile which is our Mobile APN you get to use 2G,3G and 4G

///MoH

Received my MTN sim today, popped it into my B618 at 1pm and setup the APN.

4 hours later and I'm still waiting for it to be activated. Its chilling on 3G saying "Profile invalid".
Can see my data allocated on the dashboard etc but still niks.

Gonna remove the sim and put back my Telkom sim as i need the interwebz.

Will check again tomorrow.

Last edited:

MirageF1

Executive Member
My B618 router stats although usually v good, have never looked so good...

RSRQ:-3dB
RSRP:-80dBm
SINR:24dB

Speeds, almost constantly, both UL ( between 80 and 104 Mbps ) and DL ( 30+ Mbps) confirm that.

///MoH

Almost 12 hours later and still no 4g signal. Forcing 4g results in no service.

Hopefully I wake up to a cyan blue light in the morning.

Edit: And I'm online... Yay!

Last edited:

LFX

Expert Member
B618

9912248209.png

MirageF1

Executive Member
lol just took another one:

9915205050.png

Very nice! And here I was always thinking that my dl/ul speeds have always been on cusp of max practical Fixed LTE at just over 100/30 Mbps.

Where you based in CT? I'm in Tokai/Constantia surrounds.

Can you post your router stats out of interest as I did a few posts back ^^

LFX

Expert Member
Very nice! And here I was always thinking that my dl/ul speeds have always been on cusp of max practical Fixed LTE at just over 100/30 Mbps.

Where you based in CT? I'm in Tokai/Constantia surrounds.

Can you post your router stats out of interest as I did a few posts back ^^

lte.PNG

northern suburbs, parow side

Crumbl0x

How odd, for the last few days my speeds and connectivity have been abysmal but only YouTube saturates the line at full speed, I've already followed up with both Afrihost and MTN directly to no avail. so I'll do some more troubleshooting later today.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
How odd, for the last few days my speeds and connectivity have been abysmal but only YouTube saturates the line at full speed, I've already followed up with both Afrihost and MTN directly to no avail. so I'll do some more troubleshooting later today.

We usually log a fault with MTN that could take some time to get resolved. If there is an issue with a MTN tower MTN usually know about it and have already take action.

If you still having issues for extended periods of time then it's best if we keep logging a fault and follow up with MTN.

Crumbl0x

We usually log a fault with MTN that could take some time to get resolved. If there is an issue with a MTN tower MTN usually know about it and have already take action.

If you still having issues for extended periods of time then it's best if we keep logging a fault and follow up with MTN.
Thank you, yeah that's the plan and I'm really grateful that support would continuosly check up with them.

Crumbl0x

Got a resolve, it turned out to be a congested portal I believe, but everything is flying again! Service is always top notch in this regard.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
Anyway you guys could request that MTN check out our local tower to sort out the battery?
Usually my MTN would be fine for the whole loadshedding session... now it disconnects and shows No-Service about 20 minutes in.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Anyway you guys could request that MTN check out our local tower to sort out the battery?
Usually my MTN would be fine for the whole loadshedding session... now it disconnects and shows No-Service about 20 minutes in.

We can try. I have you deeds let me see what I can manage. :)

Seaweedbrain

Hey AfriNatic
I just ordered my sim today. I live in Lenasia South, I just wanted to find out if you have interacted with any customers from Lenasia South on the Afrihost MTN Fixed Wireless? If so, how were their speeds? I tried searching but I can't find anything.