Afrihost: Please supply better "free" routers

Yugster

Surely you can connect the supplied router via Lan port to your Tenda Wan port ?

My ONT has a standard CAT cable interface.
I honestly didn't know that I can do that. Let me give it a try and see what happens.

Yugster

At what speed is your devices connecting to the router? You should be able to see this in the wireless setting on your phone as per the picture

Try an app (something like NetAnalyzer) to see if there is congestion on the WiFi channels

Lastly maybe try "WiFi speed tests" app to see what the actually performance is between your devices and the router. This app measures WiFi speed and latency separate from Internet speed and latency. It should help you to make an informed decision about investing in a better router and access points.
Thank you I will try these suggestions as well.

Yugster

Yup, it's recommended that the two routers do not have the same IP addresses.
Mate, you are the goat. The LAN to WAN advice worked like a bomb. My speeds are significantly better, closer to the actual line speed. This tells me that the problem is indeed the free router that comes with the Afrihost package.

For the long term, should I invest in a better single fibre router instead of having the current two? Perhaps something like the one in the pic. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210711_135834_fi.android.takealot.jpg
    Screenshot_20210711_135834_fi.android.takealot.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 28

Dan C

Honorary Master
Mate, you are the goat. The LAN to WAN advice worked like a bomb. My speeds are significantly better, closer to the actual line speed. This tells me that the problem is indeed the free router that comes with the Afrihost package.

For the long term, should I invest in a better single fibre router instead of having the current two? Perhaps something like the one in the pic. Thoughts?
Not sure about the connection from your ONT to the router. But if I had to upgrade now, I would go for this one.

Dan C

Honorary Master
What is the reason(s) that you would choose this one over the one I showed?
ok just did a speedtest over my Xiaomi WIFI .... bearing in mind my Fibre is 200 ... and guess what ?

fast.JPG

Dan C

Honorary Master
Is that with a LAN cable?
LAN cable from the ONT to my router's WAN. Then WIFI to my laptop, which I'm currently typing on and hoping SA will beat Ireland. Speed test done over WIFI.

KS17

What does that mean? I can't buy a better router and replace current one?
You can buy a better router but it must be connected to the ISP supplied router. You can't remove the supplied router because it holds the ONT config. Connect the new router and disable WiFi on the supplied one. You will get double NAT though.

Yugster

You can buy a better router but it must be connected to the ISP supplied router. You can't remove the supplied router because it holds the ONT config. Connect the new router and disable WiFi on the supplied one. You will get double NAT though.
Just googled Nat lol. Does double NAT mean my speeds will be slower given the two router setup?