Afrihost: Please supply better "free" routers

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
But if cancelled within 6 months, there is a R999 penalty fee? Is this also for clients that migrated to Afrihost, where Afrihost didn't have to cover any installation costs?

Yes this is a fixed R999 cancellation fee and it's actually just a coincidence that the amount is the same as the router.

MavChat

Expert Member
Yes this is a fixed R999 cancellation fee and it's actually just a coincidence that the amount is the same as the router.
The fibre activation fee that Afrihost subsidises for migrations is R999 as well

Yugster

Hi everyone, I had Fibre installed at my home on Friday but the speed is slow most of the time (see speed tests). I have to be in arms length from the router to get close to my line speed. If I am in another room, the speed degrades significantly. Do you think it is the free router?

My current wireless Internet (with the dish on roof) which is coming to an end soon gives me close to my line speed most 99% of the time (10mbps line with a Tenda AC1200 router). WiFi signal is excellent anywhere in my house.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210711_104040_eu.vspeed.mybroadband.jpg
    Screenshot_20210711_104040_eu.vspeed.mybroadband.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 41

Priapus

Executive Member
Hi everyone, I had Fibre installed at my home on Friday but the speed is slow most of the time (see speed tests). I have to be in arms length from the router to get close to my line speed. If I am in another room, the speed degrades significantly. Do you think it is the free router?

My current wireless Internet (with the dish on roof) which is coming to an end soon gives me close to my line speed most 99% of the time (10mbps line with a Tenda AC1200 router). WiFi signal is excellent anywhere in my house.
What speed is your fiber?

wingnut771

Honorary Master

Try disable 5ghz. Scan channels and make sure there aren't any other routers using the same channel. Consider mounting router higher.

Last edited:

Corelli

Expert Member
I run that dlink with changed aerials and range extenders and it works just fine. Nice that it can support both dsl and fibre.

Next would be a tplink router or asus

Koosvanwyk

Do you get the same results testing with a LAN cable?

Yugster

Try disable 5ghz. Scan channels and make sure there aren't any other routers using the same. Consider mounting router higher.
It is currently against the wall nearer to the floor next to a plug point. I asked the guy who installed it if that isn't too low for connection, so he said no and that the only problem with WiFi connection in general is concrete.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
It is currently against the wall nearer to the floor next to a plug point. I asked the guy who installed it if that isn't too low for connection, so he said no and that the only problem with WiFi connection in general is concrete.
The floor is the worst place imho.

Koosvanwyk

When I use LAN cable I get the full speed Down and Up.
At what speed is your devices connecting to the router? You should be able to see this in the wireless setting on your phone as per the picture

Try an app (something like NetAnalyzer) to see if there is congestion on the WiFi channels

Lastly maybe try "WiFi speed tests" app to see what the actually performance is between your devices and the router. This app measures WiFi speed and latency separate from Internet speed and latency. It should help you to make an informed decision about investing in a better router and access points.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210711-111808_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20210711-111808_Settings.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 27

Speedster

Honorary Master

What router did you get?

Yugster

hmmm... google tells me the Tenda AC1200 does have a wan port.. maybe your model is different
It does show WAN port at the back of the router. But the cable that the fibre installers supplied is different to the connector that usually fits in the WAN port.

Dan C

Honorary Master
It does show WAN port at the back of the router. But the cable that the fibre installers supplied is different to the connector that usually fits in the WAN port.
Surely you can connect the supplied router via Lan port to your Tenda Wan port ?

My ONT has a standard CAT cable interface.