Afrihost Pure DSL

MEG101

Au contraire, dear @MEG101 : Openserve techs insisted on a new dropwire and line into my house for Vox Pure DSL.
I think you mean:
"One must have an Openserve POLE or kiosk nearby".
I doubt they'd run a new multi-core cable from the exchange and erect poles in an area where there are none.
In other words, there would have to be active / live copper phone lines already in your area if you want Pure DSL.
Yes, I meant you need to have a Openserve DSLAM and Pole with a drop wire running into your premises. I was under the impression the line has to be running into your house for the Pure DSL service to be installed, that is what I was told. If Openserve insists to install a new drop wire from the Pole into your house, that is a bonus! The area must be active with copper lines and a DSLAM that offer Pure DSL. Openserve will use the existing poles and cables running to the pole to supply you with the Pure DSL service. If there is no infrastructure in your area, you will unfortunately not be able to get Pure DSL, please confirm on Openserve Coverage Map or the ISP of your choice.

Norrad

Expert Member
Yes, I meant you need to have a Openserve DSLAM and Pole with a drop wire running into your premises. I was under the impression the line has to be running into your house for the Pure DSL service to be installed, that is what I was told. If Openserve insists to install a new drop wire from the Pole into your house, that is a bonus! The area must be active with copper lines and a DSLAM that offer Pure DSL. Openserve will use the existing poles and cables running to the pole to supply you with the Pure DSL service. If there is no infrastructure in your area, you will unfortunately not be able to get Pure DSL, please confirm on Openserve Coverage Map or the ISP of your choice.
The coverage map shows my place as covered. It's a new house, so no drop wire into the house yet, but there are two telephone poles a few metres from the house. OpenServe is always driving around here, so hopefully, there won't be any issues getting connected up.

MEG101

The coverage map shows my place as covered. It's a new house, so no drop wire into the house yet, but there are two telephone poles a few metres from the house. OpenServe is always driving around here, so hopefully, there won't be any issues getting connected up.
Since there are 2 poles on the premises, I am almost certain that you will be able to get service. @AfriNatic helped me get a line and service at my new house where all other ISP's said there is no coverage. So let's hope and keep fingers crossed!! Keep us posted.

XTM

Having some speed issues today on openserve. can someone confirm this?

XTM

It seems exchange get congested in peak hours. Ping gets big knock too. Monitoring further today.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
It seems exchange get congested in peak hours. Ping gets big knock too. Monitoring further today.

Please try to get a few trace routes when you experience issues during peak time. That would indicate where the issue might be.

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
@AfriNatic does the PURE DSL package some with a modem or is modem an additional charge; any claw in clauses??
What modem does it come with?
20mbps line vs. 40mbps line--what are the real speeds on a copper line? latencies? (just averages would be fine for now?). I need a reliable line for Zoom and Teams calls. and uploading documents to OneDrive. maybe Netflix and Youtube at 720p minimum.

XTM

Thanks will
Please try to get a few trace routes when you experience issues during peak time. That would indicate where the issue might be.
Seems working fine today at the moment. did some trace routes to international servers without any problem. So for international traffic local amazon CDN does the job? bc the ping is lower then speedtest.net?

MEG101

@AfriNatic does the PURE DSL package some with a modem or is modem an additional charge; any claw in clauses??
20mbps line vs. 40mbps line--what are the real speeds on a copper line? latencies? (just averages would be fine for now?). I need a reliable line for Zoom and Teams calls. and uploading documents to OneDrive. maybe Netflix and Youtube at 720p minimum.
If I can answer from experience, you have to be very close to the DSLAM (no more than 2km) in order to have a solid 20/40mbps VDSL line with good upload speeds. 20 will give you 5 upload and 40 will give 10 under ideal conditions. I am not sure about latencies, @AfriNatic can help you better with this. If you want to do Zoom and Team calls that require a good upload, I would suggest looking at the 40mbps VDSL option that can give you 10mbps upload, that is if you live close enough to the DSLAM. Otherwise, look at Afrihost Fiber that gives you far better upload speeds (sometimes equal to your line speed say 50/50 or 100/100) depending on FNO. PureDSL is great for streaming and downloading, uploading is limited depending on Copper quality and distance from the DSLAM exchange.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member

So with Pure DSL we do not supply a modem for free.

The free installation coverage the activation and installation of the line to get it up and running. You would need to buy a modem if you do not have one.

ADSL and VDSL2 has 2 mode it can be in. Interleave and Fast Path. If it's on interleave it gives you about 23Mbps down and 5up on a 20Mbps profile and 46Mbps down and 10 up on a 40Mbps profile. This comes at a cost of about 20ms or so on the latency depending in the interleave dept which would be linked to the line quality. You can expect about 35ms to the closest NAP peering point.

With Fast path the sync rates are capped at the profile speeds like 20 and 40Mbps exactly so speeds are slightly slower but removes the that 35ms latency and depending on the area you are latency can be anything from 6ms to 20ms.

wir

I'm moving to a new address in the same street, is it possible to relocate my current pure DSL to the new house?