Afrihost Pure DSL

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I'm moving to a new address in the same street, is it possible to relocate my current pure DSL to the new house?

Hi,

With Pure DSL unfortunately there is no holding pool. You would need to cancel your current DSL line and signup for a new install at the new address.

entropyagent

G'day All Y'all

I almost signed up for the Afrihost "Pure DSL 5mbps" package, until I noticed the part of the signup screen where, under the title "Pure DSL 5Mbps" is advises me that Download Speed will be 4Mbps: 5mbps_screen.png

I asked a Helpdesk consultant via Whatsapp about the "Download Speed 4Mbps", and was told the 4Mbps was "the average speed you can get on the package" . At this point we were typing past each other, and I asked

"Can you assure me that this is an error, and I will be getting 5Mbps, rather than 4"

to which I received the reply

"No, the package stated that the average speed you will get, of 4Mbps because you are connected through wifi"

I am still hopeful that this is just a remnant of the original 4Mbps line speed from last year, and paying for a web developer to update it , and perhaps someone to inform your staff about the product, would cut into the budget for keeping the lines up and bits flowing (which is also quite important, I suppose) ?

The 10Mbps package claims a 10Mbps download speed, so does not seems to suffer from this defeatist attitude. Or is less honest?

I should mention that the Helpdesker was polite and responsive, I'm just hoping they were wrong. Can an Afrihost rep soothe my concerns?

wingnut771

Honorary Master
G'day All Y'all

I almost signed up for the Afrihost "Pure DSL 5mbps" package, until I noticed the part of the signup screen where, under the title "Pure DSL 5Mbps" is advises me that Download Speed will be 4Mbps: View attachment 1170676

I asked a Helpdesk consultant via Whatsapp about the "Download Speed 4Mbps", and was told the 4Mbps was "the average speed you can get on the package" . At this point we were typing past each other, and I asked

"Can you assure me that this is an error, and I will be getting 5Mbps, rather than 4"

"No, the package stated that the average speed you will get, of 4Mbps because you are connected through wifi"

I am still hopeful that this is just a remnant of the original 4Mbps line speed from last year, and paying for a web developer to update it , and perhaps someone to inform your staff about the product, would cut into the budget for keeping the lines up and bits flowing (which is also quite important, I suppose) ?

The 10Mbps package claims a 10Mbps download speed, so does not seems to suffer from this defeatist attitude. Or is less honest?

I should mention that the Helpdesker was polite and responsive, I'm just hoping they were wrong. Can an Afrihost rep soothe my concerns?
You should have asked "helpdesk" why is the "wifi" faster on 10mb?

KillerOnDrugX

G'day All Y'all

I almost signed up for the Afrihost "Pure DSL 5mbps" package, until I noticed the part of the signup screen where, under the title "Pure DSL 5Mbps" is advises me that Download Speed will be 4Mbps: View attachment 1170676

I don't know about the slower packages but I'm on the 40mb Pure DSL and get about 41-42 down and 9.5ish up. Perhaps the helpdesk person was a bit confused. Hopefully @AfriNatic can help you out

MEG101

I don't know about the slower packages but I'm on the 40mb Pure DSL and get about 41-42 down and 9.5ish up. Perhaps the helpdesk person was a bit confused. Hopefully @AfriNatic can help you out
I can also say that 40mbps VDSL is the most stable VDSL connection with Afrihost I had ever experienced. I get stable 40mbps down and 10 up. That said I am about 1km from the nearest exchange and it never drops below 40mbps. Download speed sometimes tops 5mbps. @AfriNatic will assist with anything you need to get your connection to work.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
G'day All Y'all

Morning,

This is an error. I will ask Dev team to fix it.

There isn't a 4Mbps line option anymore. It's only 5Mbps now.

KillerOnDrugX

Soon to be openserve fibre? Much cheaper than metrofibre.
Definitely! Metro still hasn't activated my building and Openserve is almost done with the installation! The last 2 weeks on the VDSL has been trash though. Extreme ping spikes and some packet loss in the evenings while the technicians say "Live with it and order fibre" or "there's nothing they can do".

bras.afrihost.com terrible spikes.png
bras.afrihost.com sunday.png
Just some examples. Can't wait to switch to fibre.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Definitely! Metro still hasn't activated my building and Openserve is almost done with the installation! The last 2 weeks on the VDSL has been trash though. Extreme ping spikes and some packet loss in the evenings while the technicians say "Live with it and order fibre" or "there's nothing they can do".

View attachment 1170948
View attachment 1170950
Just some examples. Can't wait to switch to fibre.
Ah, the dredded exchange congestion. Ok, I don't feel so bad now cancelling my 40mb DSL order. Metro wasn't live yet when I ordered Telkom, after waiting 2 weeks with no movement metro went live. There's an exchange I drive past everyday in Lena Arens Rd that looks like the batteries have been ripped out. I think Telkom have just given up with DSL.

KillerOnDrugX

Ah, the dredded exchange congestion. Ok, I don't feel so bad now cancelling my 40mb DSL order. Metro wasn't live yet when I ordered Telkom, after waiting 2 weeks with no movement metro went live. There's an exchange I drive past everyday in Lena Arens Rd that looks like the batteries have been ripped out. I think Telkom have just given up with DSL.
Don't feel bad haha. They definitely have given up. I have been on this 40mb for 3.5 years and only had one issue which was fixed within a day, now I just want it gone. Just hope Openserve actually activates quicker than Metro because I can't handle these spikes for much longer. I only have one spare keyboard left :ROFL:

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Don't feel bad haha. They definitely have given up. I have been on this 40mb for 3.5 years and only had one issue which was fixed within a day, now I just want it gone. Just hope Openserve actually activates quicker than Metro because I can't handle these spikes for much longer. I only have one spare keyboard left :ROFL:
Lol - yeah, I heard openserve fibre use contractors and thats why the service is quick because they want to get paid, that's at least with the installs. No idea if they use that for the actual network construction. With openserve DSL they don't use contractors so...

KillerOnDrugX

Lol - yeah, I heard openserve fibre use contractors and thats why the service is quick because they want to get paid, that's at least with the installs. No idea if they use that for the actual network construction. With openserve DSL they don't use contractors so...
Yeah they're contractors, they were the same company trenching on the main road too so I have no clue. I can send you the contact details of the rep if you'd like to ask them on how they're expanding so hopefully you can eventually switch to Openserve?

It's nice to see how quick they are especially since our complex is a more complicated install than most. They aim to be done by Friday and say I can be activated as early as next week but we'll see.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Yeah they're contractors, they were the same company trenching on the main road too so I have no clue. I can send you the contact details of the rep if you'd like to ask them on how they're expanding so hopefully you can eventually switch to Openserve?

It's nice to see how quick they are especially since our complex is a more complicated install than most. They aim to be done by Friday and say I can be activated as early as next week but we'll see.
Thanks, I'll wait the 6 months first, don't want to be "that guy".