Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

joshsparkie

I'm not aware of any general issues last night. Might be difficult for our NOC to check if the issue is not happening right now. Can we check in this evening if you are still having this issue?

If the issue is on our network, it will most likely manifest across all providers. The only provider which is a little different is Openserve, where we still use IPC. Frogfoot should be DHCP.

Will test again this evening, when I tested during last week it was perfect during the week after the previous Sundays peak time issues then only got the issues last night again.

Do you perhaps know why my speedtests to the SAIX CPT Speedtest server would be perfect but then all others had download speed and latency issues? Do you peer with SAIX at another data centre in Cape Town as compared to all the others?

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Will test again this evening, when I tested during last week it was perfect during the week after the previous Sundays peak time issues then only got the issues last night again.

Do you perhaps know why my speedtests to the SAIX CPT Speedtest server would be perfect but then all others had download speed and latency issues? Do you peer with SAIX at another data centre in Cape Town as compared to all the others?

As far as I know we peer with everyone at NAPAfrica except Openserve. So it wouldn't really make sense. However, I know back in the day on Telkom ADSL it would show different results becuase of how Telkom's internal routing worked. Can you show me the traceroutes for the two tests? Might show some differences that we can analyse.

joshsparkie

As far as I know we peer with everyone at NAPAfrica except Openserve. So it wouldn't really make sense. However, I know back in the day on Telkom ADSL it would show different results becuase of how Telkom's internal routing worked. Can you show me the traceroutes for the two tests? Might show some differences that we can analyse.

I unfortunately didn't traceroute to the SAIX speedtest server IP, will test it next time the issues occur. Got this IP off their speedtest: 196.25.37.14 (from capetown.spdtst.saix.net.prod.hosts.ooklaserver.net), so I assume that will be fine to test with next time?

However here is last Monday's traceroutes during peak hours:

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
I unfortunately didn't traceroute to the SAIX speedtest server IP, will test it next time the issues occur. Got this IP off their speedtest: 196.25.37.14 (from capetown.spdtst.saix.net.prod.hosts.ooklaserver.net), so I assume that will be fine to test with next time?

However here is last Monday's traceroutes during peak hours:
View attachment 742591

View attachment 742593

Looks like they are pretty similar. But let's see what your tests this evening show. Pinging the host name now gives me quite a few errors, so I am not sure what the routing is doing :(

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Code:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                             192.168.0.1 -    0 |   29 |   29 |    0 |    0 |    1 |    1 |
|          165-73-54-1.ip.afrihost.joburg -    0 |   29 |   29 |    2 |   13 |   69 |   14 |
|           tobitropin.net.afrihost.co.za -   47 |   28 |   15 |    5 |   20 |  104 |   11 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR - 0.8. Copyleft @2000-2002 Vasile Laurentiu Stanimir  ( stanimir@cr.nivis.com )

Note sure why there is so much loss on tobitropin.net.afrihost.co.za

joshsparkie

Looks like they are pretty similar. But let's see what your tests this evening show. Pinging the host name now gives me quite a few errors, so I am not sure what the routing is doing :(
Also saw that the IP 196.25.37.13 (wblv.spdtst.saix.net) is the SAIX Speedtest server in Belville Cape Town, will also test with this to compare.

In my traceroutes provided where exactly does it break into your network? Is it from hop 2 (169.1.252.1) onwards your network?

Also just did a quick search on PeeringDB and all these IP's that the ping starts to increase on (except the trace route to JHB) are all in the NAPAfrica Cape Town peering exchange point so the issue seems to arise between 169.1.21.201 and the peering exchange points, but will confirm with more testing in the evenings :)

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Code:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                             192.168.0.1 -    0 |   29 |   29 |    0 |    0 |    1 |    1 |
|          165-73-54-1.ip.afrihost.joburg -    0 |   29 |   29 |    2 |   13 |   69 |   14 |
|           tobitropin.net.afrihost.co.za -   47 |   28 |   15 |    5 |   20 |  104 |   11 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR - 0.8. Copyleft @2000-2002 Vasile Laurentiu Stanimir  ( stanimir@cr.nivis.com )

Note sure why there is so much loss on tobitropin.net.afrihost.co.za

Not sure what you are testing here, but that looks like one of our reverse lookup hosts (if that is the right term).

I don't think they like ICMP floods, so may drop packets.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Also saw that the IP 196.25.37.13 (wblv.spdtst.saix.net) is the SAIX Speedtest server in Belville Cape Town, will also test with this to compare.

In my traceroutes provided where exactly does it break into your network? Is it from hop 2 (169.1.252.1) onwards your network?

Also just did a quick search on PeeringDB and all these IP's that the ping starts to increase on (except the trace route to JHB) are all in the NAPAfrica Cape Town peering exchange point so the issue seems to arise between 169.1.21.201 and the peering exchange points, but will confirm with more testing in the evenings :)

Yes, please give us more info this evening.

On DHCP the second hop should be our network peering point. If there is congestion at NAP, that should be an easy one to solve - though we're not seeing this elsewhere as far as I know.

joshsparkie

Yes, please give us more info this evening.

On DHCP the second hop should be our network peering point. If there is congestion at NAP, that should be an easy one to solve - though we're not seeing this elsewhere as far as I know.
So far so good tonight, will continue to test throughout the peak hours!

Fjorko

Expert Member
in about 40 years from now, we will see those speeds in SA:ROFL:
If we are lucky...

I just think I'll run out of ideas on what to download / stream.... no chance any sane human being can fully utilize that sort of bandwidth....

Last edited:

Sicarius404

If we are lucky...

I just think I'll run out of ideas on what to download / stream.... no chance any sane human being can fully utilize that sort of bandwidth....

To be honest I currently have a 100MB line and that already feels fast enough. The thing I would rather like more is seeing more Servers in South-Africa so latency to all services can get lower. Or like a brand new Technology that can transmit data anywhere in the world in a few ms, but I guess my dreams are too far fetched.

Reactions: Yuu

Cartman13

So I signed up for the Pure Fibre 20mbps Package last week Monday. By Wednesday I asked them when I will receive my router. They said it should be by Friday.

Now more than a week later I asked them again, when I will receive my router. Now I am told their routers are out of stock???

An email update from Afrihost would've really gone a long way.

Our relationship are really not starting on the correct footing! Suppose I should've gone with one of the smaller ISP's where customer care is still important.