Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
in about 40 years from now, we will see those speeds in SA:ROFL:

We've already seen 10Gbps services pop up, though mostly for the business. I think it's probably attainable - question is whether it's really needed for the general public.

I think more people don't know what to do with more than 100Mbps - but as we move more into IoT and the like, they will start moving towards higher speeds.

Naks

Executive Member
There is something very wrong here. Speeds are pretty much perfect right now in my own tests. Not sure why yours are dropping so severly. We'll need to log with your provider so they can investigate :(

Please PM me so we can discuss next steps.
PM sent

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
So I signed up for the Pure Fibre 20mbps Package last week Monday. By Wednesday I asked them when I will receive my router. They said it should be by Friday.

Now more than a week later I asked them again, when I will receive my router. Now I am told their routers are out of stock???

An email update from Afrihost would've really gone a long way.

Our relationship are really not starting on the correct footing! Suppose I should've gone with one of the smaller ISP's where customer care is still important.

Got your PM - routers are definitely not out of stock, we just received a new shipment last week, so stock levels are pretty solid right now.

Will look into this for you :(

Reactions: Yuu

moms

If we are lucky...

I just think I'll run out of ideas on what to download / stream.... no chance any sane human being can fully utilize that sort of bandwidth....
True I still don't know what to stream on a 40mbps line lol,

• Haha

moms

We've already seen 10Gbps services pop up, though mostly for the business. I think it's probably attainable - question is whether it's really needed for the general public.

I think more people don't know what to do with more than 100Mbps - but as we move more into IoT and the like, they will start moving towards higher speeds.
I think 100mbps line is more than enough at home, but to think of it what more can you download /stream, I tend to run out of movies and series to stream :ROFL:.

With Rain 5G expanding would we see another price cut on fiber packages :unsure:;)

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
I think 100mbps line is more than enough at home, but to think of it what more can you download /stream, I tend to run out of movies and series to stream :ROFL:.

With Rain 5G expanding would we see another price cut on fiber packages :unsure:;)

If you have multiple 4K Tvs - which might be a reality after Black Friday - then you're looking at 50Mbps just for those two devices. You wanna also have at least 10Mbps for you IoT devices - most people are setting up discreet networks just for IoT to minimise interference. So it starts to add up - everyone's mobile device, smartwatch, tablet - that 100Mbps starts getting min :(

I wouldn't expect a price drop (though we'll always look for an opportunity for one), as right now fibre is running on very small margins. While 5G might be available, it won't affect upstream costs on fibre.

Cav5034

Hey @AfriMan

Support ticket MOY-853-75637 submitted this morning.

Not a wizard when it comes to tracerts etc. Nor do I know what to expect the ping to be from P.E. but have to switch back to my VDSL line to be able to game with better ping than what I am getting on (pure)fibre 100/100.

Not to mention speeds are sporadic. Wondering if you could weigh in when you get a chance.

Cheers

dews

Speaking of IP, this since this morning I am unable to get an IP.

The router LEDs are green (even the internet one) but I don't have a IP.
The account is also green, so not sure whats up with this.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Hey @AfriMan

Support ticket MOY-853-75637 submitted this morning.

Not a wizard when it comes to tracerts etc. Nor do I know what to expect the ping to be from P.E. but have to switch back to my VDSL line to be able to game with better ping than what I am getting on (pure)fibre 100/100.

Not to mention speeds are sporadic. Wondering if you could weigh in when you get a chance.
View attachment 744613

Cheers

I don't think you should be seeing latency like that on a local trace. We'd need to take a closer look and see what's happening.

Which provider are you on?

Cav5034

I don't think you should be seeing latency like that on a local trace. We'd need to take a closer look and see what's happening.

Which provider are you on?
SADV, please, the response from support I just received was disappointing to say the least..

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
SADV, please, the response from support I just received was disappointing to say the least..

Let me check it out - sorry if we didn't get right first time, but will get this sorted for you.

Cartman13

Got your PM - routers are definitely not out of stock, we just received a new shipment last week, so stock levels are pretty solid right now.

Will look into this for you :(
Thank you.

Seems there was some confusion.

I received my router this morning.

Thank you very much. In future, please just try to communicate a bit better with more updates.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Thank you.

Seems there was some confusion.

I received my router this morning.

Thank you very much. In future, please just try to communicate a bit better with more updates.

Glad to hear that you got your router - will definitely make that suggestion to the team.