Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

bradza

Hopefully nothing related to this, seems openserve is part of the cut:
UPDATE 1 – South Africa's Telkom could cut 3,000 jobs – letter to unions

Seeyou

Expert Member
From Websquad thread:

Morning all, quick update on international connectivity. WACS cable system is down, which means all 3 of our transit providers have failed over to EASSy. Early reports are that EASSy is experiencing a technical difficulty though we’re still waiting for further updates. Updates to follow shortly

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yeah there are a lot of ISPs using Telkom for transit.

Afrihost
Axxess
Webafrica
Telkom

I won't be surprised if Telkom Transit provider is maxing their capacity they have with ESSY

blunt

Expert Member
@cavedog know if Vox is affected? I cancelled my backup pppoe with them but think it might be a good idea to resume it.

cavedog

Honorary Master
@cavedog know if Vox is affected? I cancelled my backup pppoe with them but think it might be a good idea to resume it.

No idea but I'm pretty sure they will also be affected WACS is the best route to eu west and US.

ESSY is experiencing technical issues.

Any ISP using Seacom cable should be fine. Increased latency to EU West and US but should be fine.

blunt

Expert Member
No idea but I'm pretty sure they will also be affected WACS is the best route to eu west and US.

ESSY is experiencing technical issues.

Any ISP using Seacom cable should be fine. Increased latency to EU West and US but should be fine.
bought 100gig vox account and it's working a lot better. can't connect to tunein radio but everything else seems fine.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Hey guys

Just an update - one of our main international carrier routes is down. Failing over to back up, but international speeds may be slow for a while until everything gets sorted out.

Updates being posted on our website - but will update where I can.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I really hope this doesn't take too long. Really struggling to access US-based staging sites.

Going to try a VPN now.

Seeyou

Expert Member
Is there an ETA on this being resolved? Trying to download internationally and maxing out my 200mbps line at 200K/sec is only amusing for so long..

Seeyou

Expert Member
And now I can't work because a 40MB file I need to download from EU is going to take 2 hours. Time to see which VPN is unaffected.

EDIT: VPN saves the day again. I don't understand why the failover links are so slow though?

Last edited:

Seeyou

Expert Member
So much for updates. Had to find out from the Cool Ideas thread that there is a confirmed undersea break, which means WACS could be down for a while. Sincerely hope AH has some backups in place that are better than the current failovers.

VegOtter

So much for updates. Had to find out from the Cool Ideas thread that there is a confirmed undersea break, which means WACS could be down for a while. Sincerely hope AH has some backups in place that are better than the current failovers.

I really hope so too. If we are stuck with this until they fix the cable then this is not going to be ayoba.

Ex_Landy_Oke

And now I can't work because a 40MB file I need to download from EU is going to take 2 hours. Time to see which VPN is unaffected.

EDIT: VPN saves the day again. I don't understand why the failover links are so slow though?

Traffic is currently degraded and is running through Marseilles on a 20Gb link. 2 x 50GB links to London and Frankfurt failed

sand_man

Honorary Master
Sincerely hope AH has some backups in place that are better than the current failovers.
Would they not have already switched to their failover network by now though, if they had one? International is completely unusable right now. Quite ridiculous!

Cybersmart on the other hand...

Last edited:

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Checking with our NOC, doesn't seem like we have any solid info regarding an ETA for the issue to be resolved. But we are looking at anything that could possibly improve internet experience while this issue persists.