Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Would they not have already switched to their failover network by now though, if they had one? International is completely unusable right now. Quite ridiculous!

We have switched to failover, problem is with multiple ISP's all going to failover, available links are limited. We're doing what we can to try to improve experience, but we have limited available options to work with.

Treschen

International issues today, started at 10am with Packet loss still occuring

Ticket has been logged

#TVG-388-41383

Treschen

So much for updates. Had to find out from the Cool Ideas thread that there is a confirmed undersea break, which means WACS could be down for a while. Sincerely hope AH has some backups in place that are better than the current failovers.

Either undersea or DDOS with them been down that road

Seeyou

Expert Member
We have switched to failover, problem is with multiple ISP's all going to failover, available links are limited. We're doing what we can to try to improve experience, but we have limited available options to work with.

Well international is currently unusable, not just degraded.

Seeyou

Expert Member
I'm curious as to how Websquad, who are still relatively small, have managed to bring online their failover links with the only side effect being higher EU latency, while AH, a veritable behemoth of a local ISP, is currently serving up 22K/sec download speeds on a multi threaded download?

JOEY_8

I'm curious as to how Websquad, who are still relatively small, have managed to bring online their failover links with the only side effect being higher EU latency, while AH, a veritable behemoth of a local ISP, is currently serving up 22K/sec download speeds on a multi threaded download?
It's really terrible. I had to end my work early because of this. And the worst thing is that my Telkom LTE Backup sim with AH is also having the same problem.

Luke7777

Executive Member
Yes, blame it on the other ISPs.....

Seeyou

Expert Member
I'm amazed that the contingency plan for the primary cable going down was "hope we can get enough links on the failover!" and then praying the break would be repaired quickly.

cavedog

Honorary Master

cavedog

Honorary Master
The issue here is not backup links the issue is the capacity of backup links. Having backup links equal to your primary capacity wise just does not make financial sense in fact I don't think it's even possible with the margins currently. The ISP would need to pay money in every month.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
I'm amazed that the contingency plan for the primary cable going down was "hope we can get enough links on the failover!" and then praying the break would be repaired quickly.

As I understand it, both west coast undersea cables went down, so we're actually on our secondary failover. As much as we've planned for the worst, it's pretty hard to have a seamless failover in place for every conceivable worst scenario without significantly increasing monthly costs.

While we had this failover in place, obviously other ISPs are scrambling to get their traffic over the remaining available links, so naturally there is high demand.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yeah Cloudflare Warp sorting the connection out via Seacom :)

8951636138.png

8951641962.png

Hype

Getting a nice and relaxing 2600ms in wow to eu, switch to my phone as a hotspot, bam 290ms.

Draken

As I understand it, both west coast undersea cables went down, so we're actually on our secondary failover. As much as we've planned for the worst, it's pretty hard to have a seamless failover in place for every conceivable worst scenario without significantly increasing monthly costs.

While we had this failover in place, obviously other ISPs are scrambling to get their traffic over the remaining available links, so naturally there is high demand.
How on earth did two separate cables go down at the same time ?

Are these cable providers hiring ex-eskom staff or something ?