Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

BenK1

Which VPN do you guys recommend if I still want to use P2P (preferably at close to my connection speed)? I see windscribe doesn't allow P2P in South Africa.

I'm thinking of getting NordVPN or ExpressVPN (I'm not limited to these, I just want good performance) as they seem to perform well. I'm in Cape Town so a server close by would be a plus. I can't see Cape Town servers specifically for either Nord or Express :(

Windscribe says no P2P in SA, but apparently it's just a suggestion/warning, because it does work. I've had no problem using it this afternoon, getting 100% full speed, no jokes. As mentioned, $2 and your problem is solved. $1 for SA server, $1 for unlimited bandwidth, even though they give you 10GB free. I'm also in Cape Town.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Thanks for responding.

I do appreciate it. Just to clarify a few things though:

Totally get what you're saying about network redundancy, I don't know what the costs are, I'm sure it's beyond my budget. But given this reality, is this what we can expect from AH every time there is a cable failure on WACS? An unusable internet service which (for me) is not cheap. Is it fair to say whatever network redundancy you do have in place is woefully inadequate?

On the VPN thing, again totally don't expect AH to make its own VPN, but in this scenario, there are alternative solutions that AH could have taken the initiative on and supported customers needing support to get it to work. The exact opposite scenario is playing out, your support team (phone / WhatsApp / email) is non-existent.

But we do have you on here on a Sunday afternoon, which I guess we're fortunate to have.

Thank you.

So this is an unprecedented situation. We have capacity on WACS and SAT3 - the odds of them both going down at the same time must be a zillion to one. However, we did have some emergency capacity (believe it's on Eassy), but with every other ISP pushing their traffic onto the same cable, it's pretty congested.

If just WACS had gone down, there would be minimal to no impact on client experience. This is really something no-one could have anticipated.

I get what you are saying around assisting clients. And I am sorry that other channels are offline. I guess some of the guys have pushed pretty hard over the past few days to help as many clients as they could.

I am always around (unless I am in class). So you guys are always welcome to PM me. On weekends I usually still check once or twice a day.

Hype

Out of curiosity, why does MTN LTE (Without a VPN) have better intl routing in this outage than Afrihost? They showed same speed degradation on Thursday and Friday, but today I can hit 111Mbps to London on MTN while on Afrihost I barely make a 0.45Mbps connection?

Seeyou

Expert Member
Windscribe says no P2P in SA, but apparently it's just a suggestion/warning, because it does work. I've had no problem using it this afternoon, getting 100% full speed, no jokes. As mentioned, $2 and your problem is solved. $1 for SA server, $1 for unlimited bandwidth, even though they give you 10GB free. I'm also in Cape Town.

What's your ping to speedtest.coreix.net while connected out of interest?

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Dstv now buffering constantly.... Isn't that local?
fine this side, on mac and iphone, warp running on phone and nord on mac.
edit: not working off vpn.
edit 2: not working with vpn either now, still working on phone.
edit 3: buffering on phone too now with or without warp.
edit 4: working again (mac/vpn).

Last edited:

eshar

@AfriMan an i understand you guys are rerouting etc. and with vpn thing are working however ( i use express VPN) and i need to VPn to Washington DC to stream my Hulu content , and disney + . the Apps time out. Please can you look at getting this rerouting like afrihost has done for the gamers. Netflix SA has poor content compared to the USA

JustJack

Expert Member
Eish. Even Netflix now buffering with artifacts and pixcellation once playing. Thank goodness for all the downloaded chit I have on my hard drives

Seeyou

Expert Member
@AfriMan an i understand you guys are rerouting etc. and with vpn thing are working however ( i use express VPN) and i need to VPn to Washington DC to stream my Hulu content , and disney + . the Apps time out. Please can you look at getting this rerouting like afrihost has done for the gamers. Netflix SA has poor content compared to the USA

Not sure what exactly they've done for the gamers. Ping to London is around 285ms now with packet loss.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
UPDATE REGARDING INTERNATIONAL SPEEDS:
We have purchased additional international bandwidth on other undersea cables to restore internet services to as close to normal as possible. This is in addition to our existing failover capacity. This means that we will not be reliant on repairs to the damaged cables to deliver better international speeds and latency. Our team are currently working through the night to implement the additional capacity this evening or early tomorrow morning.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep

I think the extra capacity that will go live tonight should sort everything out.

cavedog

Honorary Master
From what I see, they're going back to Liquid or IS. This is gonna be fun.

Nope. Currently have a very limited liquid link for only certain services. Temp Seacom bandwidth coming online soon but probably via a transit provider maybe IS not sure.

Seeyou

Expert Member
UPDATE REGARDING INTERNATIONAL SPEEDS:
We have purchased additional international bandwidth on other undersea cables to restore internet services to as close to normal as possible. This is in addition to our existing failover capacity. This means that we will not be reliant on repairs to the damaged cables to deliver better international speeds and latency. Our team are currently working through the night to implement the additional capacity this evening or early tomorrow morning.

Glad to hear, good of AH and thanks for updating us.