Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

EdQubit

I'm posting my experience here just in case anyone has any advice or any ideas of what could be going on.

I migrated to Afrihost Pure Fibre from the 1st of June on a 100 mbps down / 50 mbps up line. The first couple of days I didn't notice any issues, these were some of the speedtest results I was seeing:

I wanted some more download speed, so I requested an upgrade to 200 mbps down / 100 mbps up (Century City Connect) via the ClientZone. If I remember correctly this was on or about the 3rd of June.

On the 8th of June the upgrade still had not come through yet, but I started noticing some issues in Netflix where the resolution would go up and down while watching something. (Later I would notice similar or worse behaviour in Amazon Prime, with playback sometimes stopping entirely). I did some MTRs and noticed packet loss to the local/Afrihost Netflix server. I opened a ticket (RDF-177-80363) on the evening of the 8th and received a very quick reply asking me to restart my devices. I did that, the problem was still there, so I replied that same evening that restarting the devices did not help.

From my last reply on the 8th it took until the 16th of June to get a reply via e-mail on that ticket. In the interim I had used Whatsapp (takes hours to get replies there) and callback service (faster than Whatsapp, interestingly) as well. In one of the Whatsapp chats it was suggested that I connect my computer directly to the ONT (and restart the ONT) which I did. Here are the results of some tests while connected to the ONT, conducted in the evening (this is from yesterday):

speedtests international

speedtests local

mtrs:
mtr_afrihost17.png
mtr_fast17.png
mtr_github17.png

During the e-mails and callbacks I was told that this looks like an FNO issue and that a ticket would be created. After a couple of tries I received this reference number: 38891, from Afrihost for the ticket with CCC (on the 16th).

Yesterday after lunch, I hadn't heard anything back, so I figure I'd try phoning Century City Connect directly. The person I spoke said that they cannot find a ticket 38891, and that it does not look like a Century City Connect reference number. They lookup my profile via my address, and the only ticket that they can see contains a screenshot with my line speed (possibly from the line upgrade?). The person I spoke did not sound convinced that the issue is on their side (packet loss, slow international), but said they would conduct some tests and send the results to Afrihost. They did offer to reset/reconfigure my line to see if that would help. I asked them to do that, and tested when the line came back up, but the issue still persists.

Something that I have noticed is that issue does appear to be worse in the evenings than during the day.

So I am unsure what to do at this point. Afrihost is very slow to respond to e-mails and support queries (except for the callbacks, for some reason they seem to be a bit quicker with those, but unfortunately that does not leave the us with any written record or easy follow-up point).

R4vZn

So at the time of the original post I had queried this with a week prior with support. Writing this reply makes it two weeks and only this morning I got some crappy response asking for a speedtest. I've cancelled effective end of this month. You guys may now continue ignoring my query @Afrihost-Gian .:thumbsup:

@$m@Rt@$$ @thefreeman You are not alone. I am experiencing this for the past 7+ weeks. @cavedog has been the only reliable messenge of information (on this forum), that there is an issue, yet no ETA on resolution. When logged with AH, it is the same response about "are you connecting using LAN", "reboot your router", "can you do a speedtest directly to the ONT" etc etc etc
Am still waiting for any of their Fibre Managers or NOC engineers to contact me.

This is a 100/100 on MFN - (Supposedly upgraded to 110Mbps during lockdown)

9631021877.png

9631027449.png

Eagerly waiting for 30 June!

Just a guy from PTA

@$m@Rt@$$ @thefreeman You are not alone. I am experiencing this for the past 7+ weeks. @cavedog has been the only reliable messenge of information (on this forum), that there is an issue, yet no ETA on resolution. When logged with AH, it is the same response about "are you connecting using LAN", "reboot your router", "can you do a speedtest directly to the ONT" etc etc etc
Am still waiting for any of their Fibre Managers or NOC engineers to contact me.

This is a 100/100 on MFN - (Supposedly upgraded to 110Mbps during lockdown)

9631021877.png

9631027449.png

Eagerly waiting for 30 June!
Hi,

I am also struggling. First time using Fibre. I want to move providers, but just signed up with AH... So kinda locked into a 6 month gig - router. What operators are better? I am on MFN

Mantiac

I've also been having issues since 3 June.

Don't know what to do anymore, no one seems to want to help. I'm probably just going to cancel my 1gbps account with them and look at an alternative. Their help system is useless, I've contacted Vumatel to follow up on supposed information AH said they sent, just to find out that they didn't receive anything. The tickets just keep getting closed so the stats look good but nothing gets sorted. A few times it literally felt like I was speaking to a wall since the responses made no sense.... I would expect this from Telkom but I honestly thought AH was a reputable business

SilverCode

I've also been having really bad international speeds for a while now. Local is fine and I get my full line speed most of the time, but international I'm seeing more like a 5% of advertised speed. It is not my local setup or my FNO (FrogFoot) since local is fine. Probably going to jump ship as soon as the 6 month lock-in is up ... but at this rate I might just eat the R1k cost to move early since I'm not really getting what I paid for anyway.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I've also been having really bad international speeds for a while now. Local is fine and I get my full line speed most of the time, but international I'm seeing more like a 5% of advertised speed. It is not my local setup or my FNO (FrogFoot) since local is fine. Probably going to jump ship as soon as the 6 month lock-in is up ... but at this rate I might just eat the R1k cost to move early since I'm not really getting what I paid for anyway.

Last mile loss is 99% of the cause for slow international. Changing ISPs will likely not resolve the issue. Proving loss is easy getting it fixed not so much.

Mantiac

Every time I send them speedtests, then they pretend like it's the first time and request them again. Rinse an repeat. It happened again today. Probably half a dozen times now since 3 June.

Any advice on how to break this loop?

8-BALL

Has anyones bonus line increases fallen away was on 200/200 the other day?

Looks like I'm getting quite bad latency for cpt to cpt:

moms

Can someone help me with the dlink router is they a way to setup 802.1x on these routers? I cannot seem to find that option anywhere on this router that AH provides us with
@AfriGuy

Last edited:

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
I'm definitely using LAN and I've also seen all the speedtest sites reporting Airmobile as my ISP. I have no idea why that would be. I'll PM you my account details and you can check my IP history.

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
Has anyones bonus line increases fallen away was on 200/200 the other day?

Looks like I'm getting quite bad latency for cpt to cpt:

Most of those initiatives are ending this month. Are you running a LAN Cable speed test?

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
Hi,

I am also struggling. First time using Fibre. I want to move providers, but just signed up with AH... So kinda locked into a 6 month gig - router. What operators are better? I am on MFN
Well Afrihost has the money back guarantee within 60 days but my 6 months is over.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Was also having packet loss and significantly poor WiFi speeds and WiFi signal strength. Gave up, changed the router to a much older model and is working perfectly now. Couldn't get Afrihost to even acknowledge problems with the router.
Hi shakes1, I'm sorry to hear that. At the highest level of the lockdown we could not pick up routers as we had no means due to restrictions. I can assure you that this was not deliberate. How is your experience now?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
It's now sitting on 2 and a half weeks.

My router died (inside of warranty, otherwise I would have bought a new one).
My experience with this ticket is that Afrihost is unfortunately not very keen on assisting.
I have been getting either "we'll get back to you" or no reply whatsoever.
Hopefully it gets resolved today, otherwise I will be looking for a new provider.
Hi froot, I'm really sorry to hear this, this is something we are not proud of. Can you send me a ticket ID so that I can try intervene and get you assisted?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Hi @AfriGuy , can you please take a look at the following.

This screenshot is from my connection with you guys. 100meg on Frogfoot. Trace to Diablo 3 servers in the EU.
View attachment 857667

And then this is the same thing from work on a Vodacom connection.
View attachment 857669

Hopefully you can explain the 100ms+ difference because support isn't even getting back to me. This wasn't always the case but has been this high since SAT3/WACS went offline in February or so.
Hi $m@Rt@$$. I see that the difference is quite big, we will need to figure out why this is. Are both tests done over fibre lines? I know Vodacom also offers fibre so I need to confirm this.

shakes1

Expert Member
Hi shakes1, I'm sorry to hear that. At the highest level of the lockdown we could not pick up routers as we had no means due to restrictions. I can assure you that this was not deliberate. How is your experience now?
Good morning

Terrible, have stopped using the router completely now. I appreciate your acknowledgement. Is there an alternative router that you are able to issue?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Good morning

Terrible, have stopped using the router completely now. I appreciate your acknowledgement. Is there an alternative router that you are able to issue?
Unfortunately not shakes1, I checked with the logistics manager recently on behalf of a different client and we don't have spare routers. Please PM me your email address as well as confirm your location where I can request for that router to be picked up and looked at.

shakes1

Expert Member
Unfortunately not shakes1, I checked with the logistics manager recently on behalf of a different client and we don't have spare routers. Please PM me your email address as well as confirm your location where I can request for that router to be picked up and looked at.
Sure, PM incoming