Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

Luke7777

Executive Member
There is a notice for JHB regional on the FrogFoot portal. This would also affect clients in PTA East and North.
Seems to be fine again... everything just went awol for 10min or so. Do miss OS stability though (Sorry, deleted my post and replaced it with this one :D )

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Anyone else finding the Openserve/Afrihost fibre to be super slow over the last two days?
I keep having to reload pages to get images to load etc.
If I change back to a capped account on Vox then it works fine.
Performance on "pure fibre" account makes my 100mb feel like a 10mb or worse connection.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Anyone else finding the Openserve/Afrihost fibre to be super slow over the last two days?
I keep having to reload pages to get images to load etc.
If I change back to a capped account on Vox then it works fine.
Performance on "pure fibre" account makes my 100mb feel like a 10mb or worse connection.

I work from home and have 2 x Openserve fibre lines with Afrihost and haven't noticed any issues my side.

If you are seeing slow browsing it might be DNS related. Have you tried some of the fast DNS servers like 9.9.9.9, 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 ?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I work from home and have 2 x Openserve fibre lines with Afrihost and haven't noticed any issues my side.

If you are seeing slow browsing it might be DNS related. Have you tried some of the fast DNS servers like 9.9.9.9, 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 ?
Im generally not a fan of public DNS but I could run some tests with those.
I can tell how well the internet is running at home by my wife's complaints, every time I switch from a capped account to uncapped it only takes a few minutes before she starts complaining again.
Im really annoyed that Afrihost doesnt sell line only deals anymore, now I have to pay for uncapped data that is inferior to capped data. I get that it isnt an Afrihost specific thing, it seems all ISP's are going or have gone this route.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Im generally not a fan of public DNS but I could run some tests with those.
I can tell how well the internet is running at home by my wife's complaints, every time I switch from a capped account to uncapped it only takes a few minutes before she starts complaining again.
Im really annoyed that Afrihost doesnt sell line only deals anymore, now I have to pay for uncapped data that is inferior to capped data. I get that it isnt an Afrihost specific thing, it seems all ISP's are going or have gone this route.

Some some tests and if it is better I would need to get NOC involved to find out why our DNS is slow.

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce

I have to ask. Why the need for two? Is it a mission to get a second line installed?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I have to ask. Why the need for two? Is it a mission to get a second line installed?
It should be really simple, there are always spare pairs in every install to deal with faults down the line if they should occur. Its just two more splices really and another NTU.
At least that was the case with Neotel, not sure if Openserve works the same way.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member

I have 2 lines on the same ONT. If it's Openserve they pretty much allow you to have multiple lines on the same property without much issues.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
It should be really simple, there are always spare pairs in every install to deal with faults down the line if they should occur. Its just two more splices really and another NTU.
At least that was the case with Neotel, not sure if Openserve works the same way.

Openserve has a limited number of fibre strands available per pole if it's Aerial. They usually cater for 6 lines per pole but if the pole has 6 lines already then they will log a fault for another contractor to come and add extra strands to the poll to increase the capacity. :)

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Hi everyone,

With regards to the D-Link firmware version please contact D-link directly for them to provide you with a changelog of the new firmware version. support@za.dlink.com :)

Prof.Merlin

Expert Member
If I had to put cancellation in for end of November, will the fibre line stay active till the end of November, or is there a chance that Openserve will cancel the fibre line on a random day during the month?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
If I had to put cancellation in for end of November, will the fibre line stay active till the end of November, or is there a chance that Openserve will cancel the fibre line on a random day during the month?

Yes it will stay active until the end. Our system uses an api to schedule the cancellations. After it's been released the line will still be active for about 14 days in the holding pool before it ultimately becomes ceased.

aggressiveGrey

I have a general simple question.

I am on LTE currently - and been doing a ton of twitch streaming lately, and LTE not really cutting it, data usage wise.

So if i had to move to Fibre (Frogfoot) - what would be the actualy cost. I saw it shows a bunch of Free Stuff on the sales page but correct me if im wrong here but would this be the cost:

Installation
R997 with Afrihost
A delivery fee of R249.00 will be charged for all router deliveries.
and then the FIBRE package I choose

So roughly 2K? then fibre package per month fee thereafter?

I guess it would be 2K + 1.3K (LTE) i am currently paying for until Fibre is 100% operational so i can cancel LTE

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I have a general simple question.

I am on LTE currently - and been doing a ton of twitch streaming lately, and LTE not really cutting it, data usage wise.

So if i had to move to Fibre (Frogfoot) - what would be the actualy cost. I saw it shows a bunch of Free Stuff on the sales page but correct me if im wrong here but would this be the cost:

Installation
R997 with Afrihost
A delivery fee of R249.00 will be charged for all router deliveries.
and then the FIBRE package I choose

So roughly 2K? then fibre package per month fee thereafter?

I guess it would be 2K + 1.3K (LTE) i am currently paying for until Fibre is 100% operational so i can cancel LTE

Yes that is correct. You will pay the R997 install fee. R249 for the delivery or collect it from our Walk in centre if you are close by for free and then whatever your monthly fee is for the fibre.

When the fibre gets installed and activated there will be a pro rata charge from the day of activation until the end of the month.

cronjec

Openserve Fiber connection down in Garsfontein Pretoria since 00H00. Anyone else?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Openserve Fiber connection down in Garsfontein Pretoria since 00H00. Anyone else?

Morning,

We saw a complete drop about that time on the Openserve network and it seems like it was the whole Openserve network.

skusku

Any problems on openserve Port Elizabeth? It started with DSTV streaming that buffered like crazy on my 100mb line about 2hours ago. Now I am trying to download a txt file internationally and its doing a whopping 1.2kb/s . Some sites are doing better than others though.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Any problems on openserve Port Elizabeth? It started with DSTV streaming that buffered like crazy on my 100mb line about 2hours ago. Now I am trying to download a txt file internationally and its doing a whopping 1.2kb/s . Some sites are doing better than others though.

No general outage or a notice I know of about Openserve in PE. What does a trace route look like?