Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

ShakeelH

Full disclosure I'm @AfriNatic when I'm at work ;)

11022983325.png

Smack in the middle of everyone but both my 200Mbps lines are flying as they should.

View attachment 1029606
I knew it!! It's funny cause I was going to ask you @AfriNatic if he possibly knows whatever happened to @cavedog :ROFL:

ethanvr

Were the problems with Openserve in Centurion sorted out? I have a 100/50 service (to be upgraded to 200/100), last night my download speed was between 0,79 and 6 Mbps and upload was between 10 and 47 Mbps. This morning the speed is 52,8 Mbps for download and 35,1 Mbps upload.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
Were the problems with Openserve in Centurion sorted out? I have a 100/50 service (to be upgraded to 200/100), last night my download speed was between 0,79 and 6 Mbps and upload was between 10 and 47 Mbps. This morning the speed is 52,8 Mbps for download and 35,1 Mbps upload.

Not yet.

I have compiled a list of clients experiencing these issue to forward to Openserve 2nd level to assist.

Budza

Executive Member
We're now on the 2nd of March and I'm still on RSAWEB.

They say it's Octotel that needs to make the change, and Afrihost apparently can't transfer the line to themselves until Octotel releases it.

So, the bottleneck here is Octotel :( This is the result of this 'full calendar month' notice nonsense: all changes are compressed into the end/start of the month.

At least my fibre still works!

3rd of March now.

Octotel :rolleyes:

Anyone involved with them know if they do this manually or if it's automated? Surely they can't have an Oompa Loompa pushing buttons for this?

By way of comparison, my understanding is that, for Openserve, you simply change your PPPoE credentials and you're sorted.

Last edited:

VicB

3rd of March now.

Anyone involved with them know if they do this manually or if it's automated? Surely they can't have an Oompa Loompa pushing buttons for this?

By way of comparison, my understanding is that for Openserve, you simply change your PPPoE credentials and you're sorted.

I had a similar issue when migrating from Vodacom to AH. VC kept saying they have released the line back to the pool, yet my line kept being active and showing VC as the ISP for weeks after they supposedly released the line. AH also couldn't migrate the line, they couldn't find it in the holding pool. Eventually I was on the phone with AH support, and they guy said he wants to try something - had me switch off the ONT for a few minutes, and only then could he find the line available from Openserve. After that the migration was done within a few minutes.

Maybe try that?

Budza

Executive Member
I had a similar issue when migrating from Vodacom to AH. VC kept saying they have released the line back to the pool, yet my line kept being active and showing VC as the ISP for weeks after they supposedly released the line. AH also couldn't migrate the line, they couldn't find it in the holding pool. Eventually I was on the phone with AH support, and they guy said he wants to try something - had me switch off the ONT for a few minutes, and only then could he find the line available from Openserve. After that the migration was done within a few minutes.

Maybe try that?
Excellent info- thank you. (even if Openserve)

I'll try that once work calms down a bit.

Did you also have internet through VC while AH fiddled?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
3rd of March now.

By way of comparison, my understanding is that for Openserve, you simply change your PPPoE credentials and you're sorted.

Can you send me your clientzone email address let me see if I can push Octotel to progress the order for activation?

Sorry for the delay in getting you switched over to us. :(

Budza

Executive Member
Can you send me your clientzone email address let me see if I can push Octotel to progress the order for activation?

Sorry for the delay in getting you switched over to us. :(
Sure. I've had the issue 'escalated' through the WhatsApp support already, whatever that's worth?

I'd prefer this kind of assistance wasn't necessary though- this process should have been complete by 1am on 01 March.
Kinda interested to see how long it would take without the assist. Don't want to wait weeks like VicB tho.

I imagine I'm not an outlier and this is just how long the process takes?

Budza

Executive Member
Yes. Line was active with full line speed for 3 weeks after VC said they have cut-off my internet and released the line.
I suppose the silver lining here may be the lower pro-rata charge from AH from when the line went active with them.

I assume VC didn't charge you for those few weeks? :)

You'd think that'd be incentive enough for Octotel/Openserve to improve their migration process.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
Sure. I've had the issue 'escalated' through the WhatsApp support already, whatever that's worth?

I'd prefer this kind of assistance wasn't necessary though- this process should have been complete by 1am on 01 March.
Kinda interested to see how long it would take without the assist. Don't want to wait weeks like VicB tho.

I imagine I'm not an outlier and this is just how long the process takes?

Octotel migration process is surprising the mos efficient as the client confirms whether the migration gets approved or not. If you approve the migration it goes for provisioning with the new ISP and the old ISP service gets cancelled.

I have provided you with the details. I have requested Octotel to contact you again. Please have a look for an email from Octotel around the 1st of March.

Budza

Executive Member
Octotel migration process is surprising the mos efficient as the client confirms whether the migration gets approved or not. If you approve the migration it goes for provisioning with the new ISP and the old ISP service gets cancelled.

I have provided you with the details. I have requested Octotel to contact you again. Please have a look for an email from Octotel around the 1st of March.

OK- it looks like I've fallen through the cracks somehow.

I haven't heard anything from Octotel themselves.

I've only been dealing with ISPs, none of whom has mentioned Octotel needing to get involved.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
OK- it looks like I've fallen through the cracks somehow.

I haven't heard anything from Octotel themselves.

I've only been dealing with ISPs, none of whom has mentioned Octotel needing to get involved.

No problem I have requested Octotel to make contact again.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
That's right, it's Openserve in Centurion..

Will send my details now.

Also on openserve in Centurion with an almost unusable line.

Any idea on when this will be resolved?

Someone has messed up somewhere - my 100/50 line give me a whopping 2/45 (yes that is 2 down 46 up !) atm according to speedtest.net.
I am also in Centurion.

Took a look around and @PDF_27 in the Cool Ideas thread is having the same issue. Also Openserve Centurion.

I mean, figures that it's not just us guys on Afrihost getting shafted, but man... feels like it's gonna suck for a while til OS get this fixed.

I was busy losing my mind, also on OpenServe Centurion. 200 meg line, which is giving me 2 meg down and 10 meg up. @AfriNatic do you need my details?

I have some feedback from Openserve.

Linked to NF <66ATK030321> ME Capacity. Techs attending ETA: Not Available

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
Yoh !! 100/50 OS Eldoraigne
Ping: 5ms
Download: 6.2Mbps
Upload: 48.14Mbps

It's likely linked to the network fault <66ATK030321>

Can you send me a pm with your clientzone email so I can have a look and log a fault so it can be linked to this NF?

bigboy529

Expert Member
Anyone here who has been using the mini R799 UPS from Afrihost for a while who can give me some feedback?
How long have you had it and does it last as in do the batteries still last threw load shedding after let's say a year? Also wonder whether the batteries is user replaceable and if so, are they available somewhere?

I pre-ordered fibre yesterday and didn't choose the UPS option, but now I'm having second thoughts. I know I can get a small computer UPS for a similar price maybe even cheaper, but I like the idea of not having to go from DC to AC only for the router power supplies to take it back to DC again.

Then there is of course the question whether Openserve's equipment in my area have backup power, any way I can try find this out?