Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Afrinatic, I just tried using the "relocate" fibre connection and was thinking it was all going well ... until I got to the end and it asked me for the B number of the new place. I hadn't moved into the new apartment yet, and although it was standing empty and I'd seen a fibre installation I knew the landlord wasn't the one to install it and wouldn't know the B-number. So instead I had to just cancel my current connection and log a new installation for the new place. That doesn't seem to help you or me.

Please select new install then. This will generate a new B number and activate on the existing install. We cover Openserve in full so there will not be any extra fees. With Openserve migration we do need a B number and since there will be no way to obtain that a new provide order will need to be placed.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Please select new install then. This will generate a new B number and activate on the existing install. We cover Openserve in full so there will not be any extra fees. With Openserve migration we do need a B number and since there will be no way to obtain that a new provide order will need to be placed.
Cool, but can't your relocate tool then just offer that as an option instead of not letting you progress any further? Please suggest it?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Cool, but can't your relocate tool then just offer that as an option instead of not letting you progress any further? Please suggest it?

Will do. We are still developing the relocation tool. Our Dev team developed it from scratch and we recently introduced flexible date ranges where before it was only based on month end dates.

It's very tricky to get it perfect due to each FNO with various levels of automation and billing consequences we have to take into account. I will definitely mention it to the team.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
There is definitely something strange going on here. Only one server shows normal speed (all on ethernet from my desktop and a server on my network, and from another router):
The rest all look like this:

I already have an open ticket on your tech support, but they say everything looks fine on their end. It was eventually escalated to Openserve, but they want to charge me R1K to come to look at my hardware. Meanwhile, I'm sitting with degraded performance, like some video sites buffering (even Youtube often buffers before starting a video), and pathetic download speeds from sites like GOG.

Hey,

I have had a look but I can't find anything on our side that would cause this strange slow speed.

What does speedtests on a phone look like?

D.B.Cooper

Expert Member
Hey,

I have had a look but I can't find anything on our side that would cause this strange slow speed.

What does speedtests on a phone look like?
Via the speedtest app it looks pretty much the same. Still getting full speed on Interworks and nothing else. This is via wifi of course.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Via the speedtest app it looks pretty much the same. Still getting full speed on Interworks and nothing else. This is via wifi of course.

This doesn't make sense as we are not limiting traffic to certain destinations. All other networks peer with us locally at the same peering point.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Thanks, I have done as instructed and restarted and it seems to be the same https://www.speedtest.net/result/11865028685

I thought Microsoft would have the updates stored localy

Okay this means the issue is likely not on the pc but might be a line issue.

To test this do a speedtest to Durban and Cape Town to see how the speed does when the latency increases.

Xbox does serve content locally but not always.

Okay this means the issue is likely not on the pc but might be a line issue.

To test this do a speedtest to Durban and Cape Town to see how the speed does when the latency increases.

Xbox does serve content locally but not always.

Yes all good locally

Not to worry I will try again tomorrow. The high-speed connection has been great for Microsoft Flight Simulator photogrammetry downloading as you fly.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Yes all good locally

Not to worry I will try again tomorrow. The high-speed connection has been great for Microsoft Flight Simulator photogrammetry downloading as you fly.

If you do do the download can you try to capture the download IP and see where the content comes from.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
@AfriNatic, does the WiFi configuration ever work for anybody with a new router?

Actually the painful onboarding started earlier: I received my second Afrihost router today ... plugged it in ... and was immediately defeated by the configuration page knowing my Afrihost username but not my password. Go to my e-mails on the phone, and my randomly-generated new password is around 20 characters long and I have no way of getting it onto my PC (not that it matters because when I re-wrote the password from my phone into notepad it turns out YOU CAN'T COPY-AND-PASTE into the Huawei password field). Huawei went a step better and turn off password visibility, so picture the fun that was: hand-typing 20 random characters from my phone screen while visibility is OFF (by the fourth time trying it I was holding visibility on to check each character). Might I suggest a simpler random password at the very least, to minimise people's pain in that process?

But then ... after that ... I end up on the Wi-Fi network configuration screen, and ... nothing. It didn't know my network name OR my password, which was all supposed to be pre-configured. I had to type it in again. The printed card was in my box with my selected details, but it just doesn't work (for the second time on a different router so it's not just me). :'( Does that actually work for anybody at Afrihost? Have you tested it? Like the effort your team goes to to collect the data, presumably configure the router software, print out the cards and package it all up neatly ... and it doesn't work ... why oh why?

That's my contribution to your onboarding war effort :p Last time we focused on hardware, now I think it's time you have a quiet word with the software onboarding guys, coz it broken.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
@AfriNatic, does the WiFi configuration ever work for anybody with a new router?

Actually the painful onboarding started earlier: I received my second Afrihost router today ... plugged it in ... and was immediately defeated by the configuration page knowing my Afrihost username but not my password. Go to my e-mails on the phone, and my randomly-generated new password is around 20 characters long and I have no way of getting it onto my PC (not that it matters because when I re-wrote the password from my phone into notepad it turns out YOU CAN'T COPY-AND-PASTE into the Huawei password field). Huawei went a step better and turn off password visibility, so picture the fun that was: hand-typing 20 random characters from my phone screen while visibility is OFF (by the fourth time trying it I was holding visibility on to check each character). Might I suggest a simpler random password at the very least, to minimise people's pain in that process?

But then ... after that ... I end up on the Wi-Fi network configuration screen, and ... nothing. It didn't know my network name OR my password, which was all supposed to be pre-configured. I had to type it in again. The printed card was in my box with my selected details, but it just doesn't work (for the second time on a different router so it's not just me). :'( Does that actually work for anybody at Afrihost? Have you tested it? Like the effort your team goes to to collect the data, presumably configure the router software, print out the cards and package it all up neatly ... and it doesn't work ... why oh why?

That's my contribution to your onboarding war effort :p Last time we focused on hardware, now I think it's time you have a quiet word with the software onboarding guys, coz it broken.

The config gets pushed to the router when it connects to the internet.

Login to the router will be your cellphone number. Wifi password the one selected during signup.

Sometimes this does not work when a router has been allocated but the config fails to push to the router successfully. I recommend resetting the router. We are still fine tuning the whole process especially after we have introduced the new router model.

marvelguy

Hey @AfriNatic

I am on the 30/3 package with Frogfoot.

My internet has been unreliable and down for the past 2 days.

Frogfoot had an issue.

I used your whatsapp line.My internet was reset twice and something about "packet loss"

I also had a exclaimation mark next to the wifi signal.When the internet was working , it says "you have reached the cap on your account with afrihost logo".

I am on an uncapped package.

Does your cheapest uncapped package have a cap?

Its not working at all now.

Red light on router.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Hey @AfriNatic

I am on the 30/3 package with Frogfoot.

My internet has been unreliable and down for the past 2 days.

Frogfoot had an issue.

I used your whatsapp line.My internet was reset twice and something about "packet loss"

I also had a exclaimation mark next to the wifi signal.When the internet was working , it says "you have reached the cap on your account with afrihost logo".

I am on an uncapped package.

Does your cheapest uncapped package have a cap?

Its not working at all now.

Red light on router.

Can you send me a private message with your email address so I can have a look for you?

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
The config gets pushed to the router when it connects to the internet.

Login to the router will be your cellphone number. Wifi password the one selected during signup.

Sometimes this does not work when a router has been allocated but the config fails to push to the router successfully. I recommend resetting the router. We are still fine tuning the whole process especially after we have introduced the new router model.
Lol, I noticed that Bitdefender Internet Security kept popping up alerts that it was blocking suspicious activity. Probably catching your config file being pushed through. That explains it I guess. You might need to configure the routers while they're in your hands then, rather than trying to do it OTA if it's going to get blocked as suspicious. This is why we can't have nice things.