Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

William1102

I’m joining afrihost on vuma next month , anyone in Durban can check pings and speeds to Paris and London

Cactus

Has anyone else noticed a bit of a drop in speed on the higher packages? Steam and pretty much everything else peaked at 62MB/s when the OS 500Mbit lines were released.

These days pretty much everything caps at around 37-41MB/s, but speed test still shows the normal 520ish Mbit :unsure:

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Just some random speed test server in London maybe coreix and this IP. 8.209.112.253 , 8.209.245.30

Thanks
Howzit, I've just moved to Glenwood so not on Vuma anymore but rather MFN, but I don't think there's much difference with routing so here are my results. Word of warning, I seem to have jitter on my line so just concentrate on the minimum column. MFN are investigating.
1.png
2.png 3.png

I'll link this post to the Glenwood thread, that way we will be able to compare multiple ISP's.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Has anyone else noticed a bit of a drop in speed on the higher packages? Steam and pretty much everything else peaked at 62MB/s when the OS 500Mbit lines were released.

These days pretty much everything caps at around 37-41MB/s, but speed test still shows the normal 520ish Mbit :unsure:

Is this only on steam?

Vorastra

Executive Member
Howzit, I've just moved to Glenwood so not on Vuma anymore but rather MFN, but I don't think there's much difference with routing so here are my results. Word of warning, I seem to have jitter on my line so just concentrate on the minimum column. MFN are investigating.
View attachment 1164662
View attachment 1164664 View attachment 1164666

I'll link this post to the Glenwood thread, that way we will be able to compare multiple ISP's.
Cross-posting the Glenwood, Umbilo, Bulwer, Berea thread for those who want to pop over.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member

Cactus

You can also try different sources to see if it is slow in general or just a specific source.
Other servers are worse :eek: (This is UK - London). Both Cape Town and JHB does not go above 42MB/s anymore :(
1633955448924.png

EDIT: I found the issue. After I disabled IPv6 I now get this on JHB server. Seems that something is wonky on my mikrotik ipv6 setup :( Will keep IPv6 disabled for now.

1633955718827.png

Cactus

Okay great. IPv6 does take relatively the same path so much be something on the router itself causing the issue.
My Mikrotik knowledge is very basic, but I assume it's because Mikrotik does not support fasttrack on IPv6 yet. Will keep it disabled for now. Thanks for your help!

William1102

View attachment 1164662
View attachment 1164664 View attachment 1164666

it does seem like decent pings Coreix is especially good

Thanks

William1102

How does Vuma aerial work ? , is it PPPOE and just enter user name and password

Have an old HUAWEI LTE router not sure if it would work

It’s a B316

wingnut771

Honorary Master

It’s a B316
Think afrihost use DHCP (dynamic) for all networks except openserve so any router with a wan port would work.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member

It’s a B316

We use DHCP.

Simply set your router up for Dymanic IPv4/IPv6 and visit login.afrihost.com from the connection o activate it.