Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Any idea if Openserve has any plans to move away from PPPoE to DHCP?

Unlikely. Openserve has quite a unique network topology where they don't have to do vlan provisioning on an ONT level. They kept it basic where and ISP "owns' the line allowing them to make certain changes like speed and log faults. They then have their IPC portion so they do the routing to the correct ISP from their side that is why you can dial 10 different ISP's pppoe details on the same line because it's not vlan fixed.

True Open Access.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
My connection seems unusually sluggish today and I'm not connected to the office VPN. I'm home alone with only one TV streaming YouTube, which it does every day while I work. So I can't blame the kids for hogging all the bandwidth.

Vumatel trenched, Kraaifontein.

karnuffel

Expert Member

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I dont see any mention of the Vuma outage in the link that you have shared

Hi,

Screenshot 2021-10-12 at 11-51-18 Afrihost Network Status.png

Outage notification from Vumatel below.

Good Day ISP Partner,
We are experiencing the following network incident.

Network Incident Reference: NWI-6651
Network Incident Description: Logical Failure Network
Incident Grade: Critical
Regions Affected: Johannesburg & Ekurhuleni
Area/s Affected: All areas in Johannesburg & Ekurhuleni
Network Type Affected: Vuma Core
Current Resident Impact: Residents have no connectivity
Current Network Incident Status:
Technicians are investigating

karnuffel

Expert Member
Hi,

View attachment 1165324

Outage notification from Vumatel below.

Good Day ISP Partner,
We are experiencing the following network incident.

Network Incident Reference: NWI-6651
Network Incident Description: Logical Failure Network
Incident Grade: Critical
Regions Affected: Johannesburg & Ekurhuleni
Area/s Affected: All areas in Johannesburg & Ekurhuleni
Network Type Affected: Vuma Core
Current Resident Impact: Residents have no connectivity
Current Network Incident Status:
Technicians are investigating
Posted at 11:49;)

Vorastra

Executive Member
Unlikely. Openserve has quite a unique network topology where they don't have to do vlan provisioning on an ONT level. They kept it basic where and ISP "owns' the line allowing them to make certain changes like speed and log faults. They then have their IPC portion so they do the routing to the correct ISP from their side that is why you can dial 10 different ISP's pppoe details on the same line because it's not vlan fixed.

True Open Access.
Maybe you can comment, just interested since we have MetroFibre in our area. How does MFN compare?

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Maybe you can comment, just interested since we have MetroFibre in our area. How does MFN compare?
Only openserve can you use dsl accounts. Only openserve can you dial multiple isp accounts at once or chop and change from say afrihost to vox to whatever by just changing the pppoe details. All others you stuck with what you got or use vpn before you cancel and reactivate with another.

hugol

F#$ck, Afrihost is not pure Internet joy at the moment! 500Mbts fibre line throttled to 100Mbts!

Afrihost denying they are doing anything!

4 calls logged, no luck. 3 Openserve technicians also does not find any issues!

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
F#$ck, Afrihost is not pure Internet joy at the moment! 500Mbts fibre line throttled to 100Mbts!

Hi,

That doesn't sound good at all. Sorry for the issues experienced.

Can you send me a pm for me to investigate the issue for you?

hugol

Hi,

That doesn't sound good at all. Sorry for the issues experienced.

Can you send me a pm for me to investigate the issue for you?
Ok, so info send. Even did a speedtest with my LAN cable directly plugged into the ONT. Then I only get 106Mbts.

Think it is time to move.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Ok, so info send. Even did a speedtest with my LAN cable directly plugged into the ONT. Then I only get 106Mbts.

Think it is time to move.

Hi,

I have sent you test pppoe details to see if it might be the account that is the issue.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

Interesting that you would mention that. With the help of on-site Openserve technicians installing the new tiny Nokia ONT and issuing me a new line number (busy moving house), my 500Mbps fibre is finally working as of this morning. But it ain't running anywhere close to 500Mbps, more like 140Mbps.

Afrihost support claims they need to configure the line speed and can only do it once control of the new line number has migrated over to them. Which should be done by tomorrow.

Holding thumbs that there aren't problems after that. Especially when the latency is so amazing at this new address compared to my current one.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Interesting that you would mention that. With the help of on-site Openserve technicians installing the new tiny Nokia ONT and issuing me a new line number (busy moving house), my 500Mbps fibre is finally working as of this morning. But it ain't running anywhere close to 500Mbps, more like 140Mbps.

Afrihost support claims they need to configure the line speed and can only do it once control of the new line number has migrated over to them. Which should be done by tomorrow.

Holding thumbs that there aren't problems after that. Especially when the latency is so amazing at this new address compared to my current one.

Hi,

Let me know if the issue persist.

ProfSantosh

I'm not sure how good pure fibre is but my experience so far has not been good

I pre-ordered Fibre from Afrihost in June, was sent the router and billed in August, was wired with the ONT on 20 September awaiting for Fibre to go live on the 30th of September but until this date, my Fibre line is not working.

I phone Afrihost multiple times and got told various reasons why its not working from having to wait 48 hours to there's an issue with the cable to they awaiting for frogfoot. I called again today and was told I need to wait 48 hours (i.e. until 1pm on Saturday) due to admin issues. Let hope this is my last wait or my stay with Afrihost Pure Fibre will be a short one.

@AfriGuy @AfriNatic

Last edited:

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I phone Afrihost multiple times and got told various reasons why it not working from having to wait 48 hours to there's an issue with the cable to they awaiting for frogfoot. I called again today and was told I need to wait 48 hours (i.e. until 1pm on Saturday) due to admin issues. Let hope this is my last wait or my stay with Afrihost Pure Fibre will be a short one.

@AfriGuy @AfriNatic
I would move house.

rejodasi

I'm not sure how good pure fibre is but my experience so far has not been good so far

I pre-ordered Fibre from Afrihost in June, was sent the router and billed in August, was wired with the ONT on 20 September awaiting for Fibre to go live on the 30th of September but until this date, my Fibre line is not working.

I phone Afrihost multiple times and got told various reasons why it not working from having to wait 48 hours to there's an issue with the cable to they awaiting for frogfoot. I called again today and was told I need to wait 48 hours (i.e. until 1pm on Saturday) due to admin issues. Let hope this is my last wait or my stay with Afrihost Pure Fibre will be a short one.

@AfriGuy @AfriNatic
Yeah I don't know how comparable they are to CISP or websquad but have relatives on it and its been great support and connectivity wise. They seem rational. Only problem I had is with the octotel guys ruining the installation and the wall they glued the equipment to. Some FNOs or some guys that work there are truly special...