Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

moedawood

Hi guys.

Just need advise from anyone with a PS4 using the AX3 router. The PS4 seems to be maxing out at 50Mbps. When doing speedtests and downloads on the PS4, a 25GB update that should take 35min it taking 70min to download. If I do a speedtest with my phone at the same location, the speedtest is 100Mbps.

Anyone know what the issue could be?
Unfortunately not :( I will give it a try again this evening. Anything in settings that might be the issue?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Thanks, I'm back on the router now. If it crops up again I'll give the old Asus router I used before a try.

Feedback from Frogfoot is that there is loss/errors between the ONT and router. Advised to replace the ethernet cable and router and revert back if the issue persist.

Hi @AfriNatic,

Would you please be so kind and awesome to assist me with a weird issue on Openserve.
Ticket ref #RVR-795-82262

Basically what happened is the client moved from Mweb to Afrihost.
Mweb confirmed the line was released and all was jolly and working(on Afrihost) till around the 12th of this month. I went out to assist the lady as she was on holiday and came back with internet not working.

The first issue I found was that the Lan port on the Alcatel ONT was not working / showing no link.
I rebooted the device and link was working again.

But then Afrihost PPPoE account would not authenticate. The guest account from Openserve and Afrihost connects with no issue. I even tested my home-connect uncapped account and that also works without any issues it would seem it is only the uncapped account from Afrihost that does not want to auth.
A gentleman from support phoned me this morning and we tested and defaulted the router and re setup everything with no success.
He then eventually said it seems that he cant take over the line as it is managed by Telkom which does not make sense as the move was from Mweb to Afrihost. Telkom / Openserve was never the ISP for this line.

This is what your support recommends needs to be done as per last feedback:

"I (support tech)" advised (me) to contact Telkom as we don't manage the fibre line."

Was this line then never taken over when Mweb released it and we signed up with you?

More info on line from your support:
Fibre Line: 25Mbps Openserve Fibre Line :: B510000187
Calling Station ID Lock B510027783

Please let me know how we can get this resolved pretty please!

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Hi @AfriNatic,

Would you please be so kind and awesome to assist me with a weird issue on Openserve.
Ticket ref #RVR-795-82262

Basically what happened is the client moved from Mweb to Afrihost.
Mweb confirmed the line was released and all was jolly and working(on Afrihost) till around the 12th of this month. I went out to assist the lady as she was on holiday and came back with internet not working.

The first issue I found was that the Lan port on the Alcatel ONT was not working / showing no link.
I rebooted the device and link was working again.

But then Afrihost PPPoE account would not authenticate. The guest account from Openserve and Afrihost connects with no issue. I even tested my home-connect uncapped account and that also works without any issues it would seem it is only the uncapped account from Afrihost that does not want to auth.
A gentleman from support phoned me this morning and we tested and defaulted the router and re setup everything with no success.
He then eventually said it seems that he cant take over the line as it is managed by Telkom which does not make sense as the move was from Mweb to Afrihost. Telkom / Openserve was never the ISP for this line.

This is what your support recommends needs to be done as per last feedback:

"I (support tech)" advised (me) to contact Telkom as we don't manage the fibre line."

Was this line then never taken over when Mweb released it and we signed up with you?

More info on line from your support:
Fibre Line: 25Mbps Openserve Fibre Line :: B510000187
Calling Station ID Lock B510027783

Please let me know how we can get this resolved pretty please!

Hi,

Just a quick summary of events.

There are 2 x B numbers trying to auth on the account. Both B numbers are not managed by Afrihost and are not feasible to be migrated to Afrihost because they are active with another ISP.

To bypass this I have placed a new provide order. A new B number has been generated and Openserve will activate this B number on a 2nd port of the ONT. B510027014 to be activated.

Please have the ONT serial number handy for a remote activation. I have reset the CLID lock so you can use the current line until the new B number is activated.

Please send me a private message so I can reset the PPPoE details for you again and then it should work.

JonOpollo

Any general issues with high latency on Octotel northern suburbs? I did a quick speedtest and got 183ms to cisp cpt. Will be there tomorrow again to troubleshoot properly but just wanted to know if anything is going on in general..

Edit: just got a text its back to <5ms

Last edited:

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Any general issues with high latency on Octotel northern suburbs? I did a quick speedtest and got 183ms to cisp cpt. Will be there tomorrow again to troubleshoot properly but just wanted to know if anything is going on in general..

Edit: just got a text its back to <5ms

Great stuff. If it happens again let me know so I can investigate for you.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Feedback from Frogfoot is that there is loss/errors between the ONT and router. Advised to replace the ethernet cable and router and revert back if the issue persist.
OK, will do. Seems worse the last couple of hours.

1637690140166.png

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Cable replaced, will see if I need to replace the router if this carries on.

Only issue now is I am not sure what FF did, my upload is great, but download is 3mbps.....

1637691040718.png

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member

ViCoM

Second day in a row. my download rate is a no-no. Speedtest shows 54Mbps/170Mbps on a 200Mbps/200Mbs FF line.. can't even stream properly lot of buffering and downloads are crawling at < 3Mbps. and i see no notice from FF/AH @(Bloemfontein)

1637692410176.png

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Second day in a row. my download rate is a no-no. Speedtest shows 54Mbps/170Mbps on a 200Mbps/200Mbs FF line.. can't even stream properly lot of buffering and downloads are crawling at < 3Mbps. and i see no notice from FF/AH @(Bloemfontein)

View attachment 1199666

Do you have a trace route and does it show any losses?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
View attachment 1199676
Came here to see if there is chatter about Frogfoot.

Yup, seenms like Frogfoot issues, reverted back to my old router just to be sure.
View attachment 1199704

We got the notice a bit late but here is the confirmation.

*New Outage:*
*Outage title:* Outage | CPT | Cape Town | Partial | Degraded Services
*Outage ref (solid):* FRG1654985
*Impact start time:* 2021-11-23 18:25
*Impact:* (Degraded) *Outage Update:*

-- Logged to the Layer 1 Vendor
-- Vendor reacted and tested a disconnection received a disconnection at 6.44 km where the full distance is 16.32 km.
-- Vendor has provided an ETTR of 22:22.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Speed is back, saw a lot of posts on our estate's facebook page about slow internet. The whole estate is Frogfoot.

But all seems well now.
1637698483564.png

I am on my old Asus router now, will see how it goes and then switch back to the Xiaomi again.