Afrihost to no longer offer capped packages <100GB

Totempole

Expert Member
This pretty much forces me to move away from them. I specifically need +- 20GBs of anytime data per month. I have a package with another ISP which covers everything else.

As a few of you have said, the most obvious alternative is Axxess, but how long will it be before Afrihost's sister company follows suit.

Another thought is WebAfrica, for their 20GB+1000GB shaped package for R29pm, but their shaping can be overwhelming at times.

Otherwise, Crystalweb sounds like a plan.

It's a crappy situation because I'd like to stay loyal to the Afrihost brand, but they've kind of pushed me into a corner this time.

cozinsky

Expert Member
This pretty much forces me to move away from them. I specifically need +- 20GBs of anytime data per month. I have a package with another ISP which covers everything else.

As a few of you have said, the most obvious alternative is Axxess, but how long will it be before Afrihost's sister company follows suit.

Another thought is WebAfrica, for their 20GB+1000GB shaped package for R29pm, but their shaping can be overwhelming at times.

It's a crappy situation because I'd like to stay loyal to the Afrihost brand, but they've kind of pushed me into a corner this time.[/QUOTE
Don't telll me you can't afford R99 per month for 100gb?

nemo415

Really sorry to hear that you're considering moving. :( To reiterate what was mentioned in the mail, we'll offer you a free upgrade to 100GB for April and May. :)

Unfortunately, it's time for us to move away from these smaller DSL packages, as they have not become feasible anymore. With broadband consumption increasing more and more, we feel the time is right. :)
And that's why I'll cancel on the 23rd May :D

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

It's a crappy situation because I'd like to stay loyal to the Afrihost brand, but they've kind of pushed me into a corner this time.
Don't telll me you can't afford R99 per month for 100gb?
Why pay for something you're not going to use? I can afford a R5/day WASP, doesn't mean it's useful.

F1 Fan

Expert Member
Happy with this, this will cater for most of the market, and will allow Afrihost to focus on improving products.

Makes sense.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Happy with this, this will cater for most of the market, and will allow Afrihost to focus on improving products.

Makes sense.
And in other news... Afrihost retrench 1000 call staff employees :D

Totempole

Expert Member
Why pay for something you're not going to use? I can afford a R5/day WASP, doesn't mean it's useful.
Exactly. I still have the Vox Uncapped Bolt-On (now discontinued) which gives me Uncapped internet from 6pm-6am every weekday and right through the entire weekend.

I really have no use for more than 20GBs of peak time data.

mister

Executive Member
If you didn't want all those stupid little customers why did you offer R0 packages?

Dan C

Honorary Master
If you didn't want all those stupid little customers why did you offer R0 packages?
Was thinking the same thing. I have never called in since I joined Afrihost and that was years ago when they launched R29 a gig.

DeathStrike

Expert Member
are we sure this is not an April fools joke... damit. afrihost why. I don't need more than 20gb from you. except in December.

I use vox bolt on as primary and afrhost during the day... when I mostly not home.

Edit. will they still offer free 1gb?

Last edited:

Space

Really sorry to hear that you're considering moving. :( To reiterate what was mentioned in the mail, we'll offer you a free upgrade to 100GB for April and May. :)

Unfortunately, it's time for us to move away from these smaller DSL packages, as they have not become feasible anymore. With broadband consumption increasing more and more, we feel the time is right. :)

Gian says in his "Dear Johnny" letter that they can no longer survive and carry helpdesk support costs etc on R29 per month.

R99 seems to be their break-even point (this was also evident in January when they discontinued the 18h per day Free Time DSL promotion) - well I am spending R615 per month with Afrihost (R369 for upto 8Mbps DSL line and 20 gig bundle, 2 x Mobile XS LTE data packages at R99 each, device protection for my Afrihost Huawei pebble R19, and my 10 GB top up data R29 to be discontinued)
- why is it that you did not consider the TOTAL SPEND per customer when deciding which packages were no longer financially feasible

Guess i'll have to continue chipping away at my 2.8 TB of accumulated data on Vox, and get 20G for R29 from Axxess for my back-up account - might consider moving my DSL line and mobile data to Axxess as well because of this.

Drake2007

Expert Member
Really. This constant moving the goal posts is starting to piss me off a bit.

I am also mainly with Telkom and use 20GB Afrihost as a fall back, and TBO that R29/month was throw away for convenience sakes, however R99/month is now not throw away. And BTW Mr. CEO, I have not once called you tech support. ever.

Not a good way to keep customers.

I also use Mobile data with Afrihost, is there any other companies that do this same thing?
Then I can just cancel all their ***.

Rohan

Guess I will cancel then. I only need a small amount of data as a backup account on a different network for gaming. Will go to axxess then.

Totempole

Expert Member
The "Free" 100GB upgrade we were supposed to be getting for the next two months appears to be an April Fool's joke. No sign of it.

McT

The Humble Scot!
This is an interesting announcement. Three things jumped to mind from this:

1. The primary reason Afrihost cites for the decision eliminate smaller offerings is cost to service. Either this is the new trend to come with other ISP's or their network has more problems than it should. In this regard, my personal experience with their support staff has been poor. Perhaps herein lies the problem.

Edit: it is this sort of thing that adds to support and service costs (unnecessarily).

2. It has long been touted, especially by Afrihost, that capped products carry uncapped - or have we been fed a bakkie load of manure? Now lower end capped products are also a problem. What next?

3. Afrihost are in financial trouble and the end of their dream is in sight. The noose around exactly what is good and bad for business is becoming ever tighter. They offer incredible serviced and then chop them, because they are unsustainable. The ISP recently starting shaping their capped services. What's next? I maintain that their end is nigh.

Last edited: