Afrihost to no longer offer capped packages <100GB

Drake2007

Expert Member
Try Axxess mobile data SIM's which includes 3 months data rollover:
https://www.axxess.co.za/mobile/data

I think Mweb also offer mobile data. Not sure how they compare.
Thanks, looks like they offer the same product, will see if Axxess also go the same route as Afrihost.
I don't see anything on Mweb's site. Crystal Web does for Vodacom, MTN coming soon apparently.

Will wait and see, don't enjoy being stuffed around like this. Afrihost is wasting my time to re-shop for products and for that they will lose my business totally.

fruitbat

Expert Member
I also did not receive the 100 gigs of data.
On afrihost app. The product name changed for my 10gb. Now says 100gb(was blah blah 10gb).

Cap is still 10gb. Maybe Monday they will finish the system updates?

Dan C

Honorary Master
I also did not receive the 100 gigs of data.
Yeah the name changed, but the allocation didn't.

Doesn't phase me , I subscribe to the 40gb per month and get 160gb.... :D

lol.jpg

Last edited:

shiram

This is an interesting announcement. Three things jumped to mind from this:

1. The primary reason Afrihost cites for the decision eliminate smaller offerings is cost to service. Either this is the new trend to come with other ISP's or their network has more problems than it should. In this regard, my personal experience with their support staff has been poor. Perhaps herein lies the problem.

Edit: it is this sort of thing that adds to support and service costs (unnecessarily).

2. It has long been touted, especially by Afrihost, that capped products carry uncapped - or have we been fed a bakkie load of manure? Now lower end capped products are also a problem. What next?

3. Afrihost are in financial trouble and the end of their dream is in sight. The noose around exactly what is good and bad for business is becoming ever tighter. They offer incredible serviced and then chop them, because they are unsustainable. The ISP recently starting shaping their capped services. What's next? I maintain that their end is nigh.
+1

HelterSkelter

Expert Member
The R1 promotion was recent. Bait-and-switch in those cases where users signed up for small packages?

DeathStrike

Expert Member
problem with that is that they are pushing away long standing customers. and I haven't had to call their call center.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
problem with that is that they are pushing away long standing customers. and I haven't had to call their call center.
I think this is a very good point here. Some people might only require say a 20GB package.

McT

The Humble Scot!
I think this is a very good point here. Some people might only require say a 20GB package.
Plenty people out there don't need to download the internet every month. Chap in our complex has 5GB and was fully content with just that. Folk like him won't upscale to their higher cap. For me, I see this as the downhill slide of Afrihost.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Plenty people out there don't need to download the internet every month. Chap in our complex has 5GB and was fully content with just that. Folk like him won't upscale to their higher cap. For me, I see this as the downhill slide of Afrihost.
I think to be fair also, most isp's don't really bother much with smaller packages anymore. However, at least keep one small package ie say a 25GB or a 30GB etc instead of completely removing it.

McT

The Humble Scot!
I think to be fair also, most isp's don't really bother much with smaller packages anymore. However, at least keep one small package ie say a 25GB or a 30GB etc instead of completely removing it.
This I agree with. I comfortable with and still need a decent cap. To completely exclude this segment is a poor business decision. What then happens to those who want a small cap just see what the network / ISP is like.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
This I agree with. I comfortable with and still need a decent cap. To completely exclude this segment is a poor business decision. What then happens to those who want a small cap just see what the network / ISP is like.
Where the problem comes in, if every isp removes smaller packages. What happens to those who a) can't afford a bigger cap or b) don't need a bigger cap. It's not the correct decision Imo to completely remove the smaller packages, and forcing them to choose a bigger cap. And I'm saying this as a big Afrihost fan, but it's the wrong decision, at least for now

McT

The Humble Scot!
Where the problem comes in, if every isp removes smaller packages. What happens to those who a) can't afford a bigger cap or b) don't need a bigger cap. It's not the correct decision Imo to completely remove the smaller packages, and forcing them to choose a bigger cap. And I'm saying this as a big Afrihost fan, but it's the wrong decision, at least for now
It also cuts across the aim to make broadband internet more accessible... unless of course that accessibility is only meant to exist through mobile operators.

Devinity

And in other news... Afrihost retrench 1000 call staff employees :D
When I got the email the other day from them, I was wondering what on earth do people need all this support for. I've not asked them for help. Only time their support got involved with me was when the stuffed up my billing for 2 months.

Dan C

Honorary Master
When I got the email the other day from them, I was wondering what on earth do people need all this support for. I've not asked them for help. Only time their support got involved with me was when the stuffed up my billing for 2 months.
Exactly , I have not called them once since I been with them since the R29/gb days.

plugger123

There goes my backup account... I almost never used the total amount of gigs per month. Oh well, Axxess here I come. Going to be a pain to move.

m0zy

Expert Member
Afrihost did a stupid move! But Axxess still offer 20GB packages:

https://www.axxess.co.za/dsl

I am sure the guys at Axxess will not be pulling the smaller account sizes. Or they would have done so already. If they do then they can kiss my money good-bye !!

X-Gamer

Expert Member
Gian says in his "Dear Johnny" letter that they can no longer survive and carry helpdesk support costs etc on R29 per month.

R99 seems to be their break-even point (this was also evident in January when they discontinued the 18h per day Free Time DSL promotion) - well I am spending R615 per month with Afrihost (R369 for upto 8Mbps DSL line and 20 gig bundle, 2 x Mobile XS LTE data packages at R99 each, device protection for my Afrihost Huawei pebble R19, and my 10 GB top up data R29 to be discontinued)
- why is it that you did not consider the TOTAL SPEND per customer when deciding which packages were no longer financially feasible

Guess i'll have to continue chipping away at my 2.8 TB of accumulated data on Vox, and get 20G for R29 from Axxess for my back-up account - might consider moving my DSL line and mobile data to Axxess as well because of this.

So...What's happening here?

I'm on 20mbps DSL +20GB bundle with discount... I have not received any letters or notices about package changes.

Afrihost is not my main ADSL ISP either, so I'm not going to be happy about paying R99 for something I don't use.