Afrihost website causes pain with RAIN = We pay for their mistakes

Robinm_za

I've been on RAIN for just over a year. I stuck it out as long as I could but decided to use the website "Migrate" button to hop over to Cell C. This is months after the 6 Month cancellation penalty period.

The wizard took me to a coverage map, it passed and I moved on to confirm order.

I find that Afrihost sent me another RAIN SIM. Not a Cell C SIM. I asked why and they said because I have no coverage. This is after the fact. No mention on the site during the migration wizard that my original order was not what they were sending.

The migration process already cancelled the previous SIM so I thought I will suck up another month seeing as the billing had been done already. I lost all my 33Gig rollover data in the process but kept my mouth shut. I received very little "month free data" on the new SIM as it was late in the month. (About 17 Gig I think)

I cancelled the RAIN SIM again to move to a different ISP who assures me my Cell C coverage is OK

Afrihost have billed me R999.00 early termination fee.

Does this seem fair to anyone?

SlowInternet

Executive Member
It is crazy but they charge a R999 cancellation fee on a Sim only deal with CellC. Why I do not know because there is no hardware involved.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I've been on RAIN for just over a year. I stuck it out as long as I could but decided to use the website "Migrate" button to hop over to Cell C. This is months after the 6 Month cancellation penalty period.

The wizard took me to a coverage map, it passed and I moved on to confirm order.

I find that Afrihost sent me another RAIN SIM. Not a Cell C SIM. I asked why and they said because I have no coverage. This is after the fact. No mention on the site during the migration wizard that my original order was not what they were sending.

The migration process already cancelled the previous SIM so I thought I will suck up another month seeing as the billing had been done already. I lost all my 33Gig rollover data in the process but kept my mouth shut. I received very little "month free data" on the new SIM as it was late in the month. (About 17 Gig I think)

I cancelled the RAIN SIM again to move to a different ISP who assures me my Cell C coverage is OK

Afrihost have billed me R999.00 early termination fee.

Does this seem fair to anyone?
This is not good at all. I am sorry that you have been having such a horrible time. I am sure I could work something out for you with regards to the cancellation fee. Please send a PM and I will sort this out for you.

Just to mention, no ISP can assure or guarantee coverage for your area. That is dependent on Cell C. If your coverage is bad with us there is a very good chance that your service will be bad with another ISP. I say this because ISP's don't have control over the infrastructure.

So this basically means that it could be that Fixed Wireless isn't the solution for you and it would be best to try and find an alternative.

Robinm_za

Its not a coverage issue. Did you read my post or is this an automated response.?

Just incase I am speaking to a person. I ordered a Cell C SIM and you sent me a RAIN SIM. I cancelled the RAIN SIM you sent me and you charged me R999.00 cancellation fee. On a SIM I did not order.

This has nothing to do with coverage.

I have laid a complaint with ICASA as your customer support seems to dodge the issue just as you have here.

Robinm_za

It is crazy but they charge a R999 cancellation fee on a Sim only deal with CellC. Why I do not know because there is no hardware involved.
Point I make is I didn't want the RAIN SIM, they sent it to me in error and they have the gall to charge me a cancellation fee for the mistake they made.

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
Point I make is I didn't want the RAIN SIM, they sent it to me in error and they have the gall to charge me a cancellation fee for the mistake they made.
That certainly isn't right Robin, please drop me a PM so I can look into your account right away and make sure this is rectified for you.

ProAsm

Expert Member
I think Cell C as well as their affiliated ISP's must be loosing a lot of money due to inaccurate Cell C data coverage information.
I did some interesting tests here on Monday.
Currently I have a B315 router with both a Telkom and a Cell C simcard.
With the Cell C sim, the Cell C tower which they show on their coverage map does not show any coverage for me at all.
However after errecting a Poynting antenna I found if you point it at the Cell C tower, the signal is -110 dBm which is a no signal situation.
However if I do a speed test on Cell C, I get about 3 Mbps down and up.
So I get my son to turn the antenna and as soon as it hits the Telkom tower direction I get -76 dBm and I get 23 Mbps up and down.
So I insert the Telkom sim and on the 1800 Mhz I get exactly the same, -76 dBm and 23 Mbps up and down.
This tells me that Cell C piggy back the 1800 Mhz of Telkom's off the Telkom tower ?
So when you guys get a coverage rejection from Cell C it is very possible that they are looking at the wrong tower and should maybe look at the Telkom 1800 Mhz coverage.

Here in Hilton, according to the Cell C and Afrihost coverage maps, Cell C only has coverage of the hospital and college, yet if you go by my tests above, the whole of Hilton is comfortably covered.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I think Cell C as well as their affiliated ISP's must be loosing a lot of money due to inaccurate Cell C data coverage information.
I did some interesting tests here on Monday.
Currently I have a B315 router with both a Telkom and a Cell C simcard.
With the Cell C sim, the Cell C tower which they show on their coverage map does not show any coverage for me at all.
However after errecting a Poynting antenna I found if you point it at the Cell C tower, the signal is -110 dBm which is a no signal situation.
However if I do a speed test on Cell C, I get about 3 Mbps down and up.
So I get my son to turn the antenna and as soon as it hits the Telkom tower direction I get -76 dBm and I get 23 Mbps up and down.
So I insert the Telkom sim and on the 1800 Mhz I get exactly the same, -76 dBm and 23 Mbps up and down.
This tells me that Cell C piggy back the 1800 Mhz of Telkom's off the Telkom tower ?
So when you guys get a coverage rejection from Cell C it is very possible that they are looking at the wrong tower and should maybe look at the Telkom 1800 Mhz coverage.

Here in Hilton, according to the Cell C and Afrihost coverage maps, Cell C only has coverage of the hospital and college, yet if you go by my tests above, the whole of Hilton is comfortably covered.
So there has been some issues on Cell C's side.

There has been some coverage that has dropped in certain areas ( We don't have a list of the affected). This is due to a roaming agreement that Cell C had with MTN. This agreement has ended which has resulted in certain towers no longer roaming the Cell Fixed Wireless signal.

This means that certain clients that have had coverage in the past won't be covered anymore.

We are dealing with all the affected clients on a case by case basis. So this means we still need to go through the standard troubleshooting.

Please double check your coverage with Cell C. You can use this link:
https://www.afrihost.com/landing/fixed_wireless/#fixed-wireless-availability

ProAsm

Expert Member
Thank you for sharing this. Unfortuntely since you aren't covered there isn't much that we can do on our side at this time.
LOL... see what I mean.
I am covered, very well in fact.
-76 dBm with 23 Mbps on Cell C but your coverage map is so screwed, you are loosing a sh*t load of business here to Telkom :)
This was the Cell C test at the time.
https://speedtest.mybroadband.co.za/result/8948335
If I remove the poynting antenna and use the internal, I still get -88 dBm and downloads of around 12 Mbps on Cell C.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
LOL... see what I mean.
I am covered, very well in fact.
-76 dBm with 23 Mbps on Cell C but your coverage map is so screwed, you are loosing a sh*t load of business here to Telkom :)
This was the Cell C test at the time.
https://speedtest.mybroadband.co.za/result/8948335
If I remove the poynting antenna and use the internal, I still get -88 dBm and downloads of around 12 Mbps on Cell C.
That is a very good result. However we get our mapping information from the provider and based on that information you shouldn't be getting a connection at all.