Afrihost will buy majority stake in Cool Ideas

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Afrihost will buy majority stake in Cool Ideas

Afrihost and Cool ldeas have concluded a deal where Afrihost will acquire a majority stake in Cool Ideas.

The acquisition is subject to the necessary regulatory approvals. Afrihost and Cool Ideas are working to finalise the transaction as soon as possible.

With this transaction, Afrihost and Cool Ideas are hoping to leverage the economies of scale of a larger network.

John Tempus

Executive Member
Oh god.. As long as coolideas have control over the service as it is atm then it will be ok but I somehow doubt that. Afrihost acquiring ISP's lead to them turning that side of the business into Afrihost2.0 which would be twice as bad.

I have this nagging feeling that a 2 or 3 months after this comes into effect I will be browsing for a new ISP purely out of survival.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
I think this will be positive and will not affect Afrihost or Cool Ideas much. We have seen that Axxess operates entirely independently, and we can expect the same with Cool Ideas. There may even be benefits through combining networks.

IdlePhaedrus

Expert Member
There may even be benefits through combining networks.

That was sort of the point when Afrihost paired up with MTN, and that didn't work out so lekker at the time IIRC.

Then again CI is not MTN so this might have a more balmy (rather than barmy) outcome.

RedViking

Nord of the South
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Last edited:

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
well ****, I have experience with the one and was strongly considering the other when I finally take the plunge to fiber ... now that option is off the table

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
This is our official PR, for anyone that's concerned that things are going to "change". We will continue to service our clients as we always have, and we're not changing the way we operate.

Afrihost to acquire a majority stake in Cool Ideas.​

Afrihost and Cool Ideas have concluded negotiations and inked a deal wherein Afrihost seeks to acquire a majority stake in Cool Ideas.

Founded by Paul Butschi, and Andre Jooste in 2011, Cool Ideas has won the 2018 and 2020 MyBroadband “ISP of the year” awards and has been singularly focused on providing the best uncapped, unshaped, fibre to the home and business throughout South Africa.

The combination of Cool Ideas’ and Afrihosts’ network infrastructure will provide for significant scale benefits and further improve the already sterling delivery of fast, uncapped internet to clients with the dedication and innovation that has made Cool Ideas successful.

Cool Ideas will remain an independent brand, and stand-alone business, with the same founders, management team and employees.

Cool Ideas is excited to partner with Afrihost, and is working with Afrihost to conclude the transaction as soon as possible. The transaction is subject to the necessary regulatory approvals.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I like chocolate. Doesn't mean I want to put it on my Pizza. :mad:
You're missing out.
c6b0da2286380d5e490c52939eb074da.jpg