Afrihost will buy majority stake in Cool Ideas

envo

Expert Member
I like Afrihost.
of course you do. pats head. they need people like you to like them. For the rest of us who don't believe we turn magnetic after the vaccine though, it does spell disaster considering Afrihost's past and "consolidation" of backbone whereby the actual internet connection is affected.

So even though they'll run as independent companies, I'm sure Afrihost would want them to switch over to whatever shitty backbone network they have Axxess run on, and lower their overall quality to that of theirs.

It's too bad, Cool Ideas were pretty cool....

envo

Expert Member
Cool ideas literally had the worst customer support
Then you obviously never had to deal with Afrihost customer support lol! Having dealt with both companies, Cool Ideas support outclass Afrihost in SO many ways, I'd rather cancel my subscription to Cool Ideas than have to deal with what Afrihost thinks is acceptable customer support

Petec

Expert Member
Has anyone here who is luvvin' Afrihost actually tried to contact them lately?
CI, I can call, email, or submit a ticket almost anytime, and get a response almost immediately. If this changes, then Ima heading out.

Reactions: OCP

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Oh god.. As long as coolideas have control over the service as it is atm then it will be ok but I somehow doubt that. Afrihost acquiring ISP's lead to them turning that side of the business into Afrihost2.0 which would be twice as bad.

I have this nagging feeling that a 2 or 3 months after this comes into effect I will be browsing for a new ISP purely out of survival.
When last have you used Afrihost? They're the most reaponsive to issues by a long shot.

Its akin to @AfriNatic never sleeping; that mofo is a machine.

Out of interest, where do you think they get the money from to have bought Axxess and now CISP? That's right, some of us (actually a shitload of us) choose them.

Au contraire @TheRoDent with his bullshit attitude, what, with telling people in that infamous thread to "prove it" when he was told their service is kak.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Hmmm.. I will keep an eye on this... If afrihost interfere in the operations of CI then I'm out...
How would you know?

A lot of us are deliberately shunning CISP because one of their top management is on the forum and has this "**** you" attitude.

Similarly, if Gian told someone on here to **** off, I'm packing my bags...

John Tempus

Executive Member
When last have you used Afrihost? They're the most reaponsive to issues by a long shot.

Out of interest, where do you think they get the money from to have bought Axxess and now CISP? That's right, some of us (actually a shitload of us) choose them.

Au contraire @TheRoDent with his bullshit attitude, what, with telling people in that infamous thread to "prove it" when he was told their service is kak.

I aware that they have many clients but afrihost went to tits when MTN got involved. Since then and when Afrihost buy CISP it will basically be a reach around MTN circle jerk.

I have heard far more horror stories using Afrihost than rosy stories.

Afrihost buying CISP I can already predict they will start by jacking up prices, avoid hands on direct contact with staff relating to routing issues that is a great feature of CISP right now in the CISP thread. CISP clients will literally turn into just a customer number without any hands on.

Reactions: OCP

John Tempus

Executive Member
How would you know?

A lot of us are deliberately shunning CISP because one of their top management is on the forum and has this "**** you" attitude.

The way @TheRoDent replied that you are referencing is EXACTLY one reason why I prefer CISP. You know its a real person with real emotions responding without all that corporate bs smile and act like a robot mentality.

Some people, assuming you, do not like this but for people like me I can relate to this being a real human communicating with me.

Armizael

@PBCool @TheRoDent will you still be running your own independant network where you have full control, or will you have to run to Afrihost or someone else to make changes?

The full control you currently have is a big plus - your previous responses to similar questions feels like dodging this question by just saying you'll do your best to operate your network - a more direct answer would be nice.

Last edited:

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@PBCool @TheRoDent will you still be running your own independant network where you have full control, or will you have to run to Afrihost or someone else to make changes?

The full control you currently have is a big plus - your previous responses to similar questions feels like dodging this question by just saying you'll do your best to operate your network - a more direct answer would be nice.
Yeap, @TheRoDent has mentioned this already :)

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep

I believe the "prove it" comment was more around a discussion about the CPA and not service, if I recall correctly.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Afrihost will buy majority stake in Cool Ideas

Afrihost and Cool ldeas have concluded a deal where Afrihost will acquire a majority stake in Cool Ideas.

The acquisition is subject to the necessary regulatory approvals. Afrihost and Cool Ideas are working to finalise the transaction as soon as possible.

With this transaction, Afrihost and Cool Ideas are hoping to leverage the economies of scale of a larger network.
That was a sneaky an announcement as Zuma's late night cabinet shuffles. There I was recovering from a ring sting Sunday evening curry by doing handstands in the shower before reading this.

Well done on the move to the team at Cool Ideas as this makes the industry stronger as alternative options are now consolidated.

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
This union should now out pressure on Vumatel to slash their prices. And beat the openserve offering.

That's when mergers and acquisitions work for customers on both sides.

CISP have a very long-term and good rel6with Vuma, but as Vuma clients we still don't enjoy fibre prices cuts, only the opposite.

Anyway, wishing the union a success... especially for customers.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
How would you know?

Each to their own on this front... I kind of appreciate dealing with a real person and I've never had the attitude aspect in any of my dealings.

And how would we know if Afrihost interfere? There are numerous ways really, but so far all the indications are that they will largely leave well enough alone so I have no plans on leaving CISP anytime soon.

Dianysis

Expert Member
I don't think this a wise decision by CISP.
I am not with CISP, but knowing that Afrihost is a majority shareholder means I wouldn't consider joining CISP going forward. Sorry.
Just being honest.
Afrinatic is awesome though. AH needs to look after him.
Each to their own. Yes, many swear by AH. But on the other end, many have been burnt by AH.