Afrihost will buy majority stake in Cool Ideas

Tinuva

The Magician
@TheRoDent @PBCool

I know you have stated that you will still run your network independently and sort-of answer some of the questions but what I am really interested in, what exactly this means technically.

Currently Afrihost, Axxess and Web Africa is on this Echo backbone of sorts ( I don't know the exact details ) and again these ISPs all state they run their networks independently over this shared network.

How is Coolideas' network going to be forward. Also attach to this shared Echo network (who has their own ASN), or completely separated. If not separated, which network is joining to which network to make use of the economies of scale or is the economies of scale only used when negotiating price per mbit for example with Openserv for IPC or network providers for buying transit etc.

I mean I think this is what I really want to know. Is Coolideas's expertise going to be used to assist Afrihost / Echo or what exactly is going to happen technically. Is any of the network's users going to be moved over to another network etc.

I think this is probably where most of my own question is.

All the best with the merger, whilst I am concerned about it, I truly hope all the best for you going forward.

L-Dog

Expert Member
Tried both and was very happy with both, I think the consumer will ultimately loose as the 2 best ISP's are merging so ultimately we only have 1 choice

blunt

Expert Member
The only real competition in the ISP sphere joining forces.. unexpected?
CISP please use some of the new funding to build a proper client + billing portal.

rvanwyk

Expert Member
The end of Cool Ideas. Time to shop for another ISP. I have only had bad experiences with Afrihost and Axxess both personally, business. Sad day indeed.

xbxbau5

Oh god.. As long as coolideas have control over the service as it is atm then it will be ok but I somehow doubt that. Afrihost acquiring ISP's lead to them turning that side of the business into Afrihost2.0 which would be twice as bad.

I have this nagging feeling that a 2 or 3 months after this comes into effect I will be browsing for a new ISP purely out of survival.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Yes, those plans never start in the honeymoon phase, but once the fine print clause is expired and majority shareholders can do whatever they want. You'll hemorrhage clients like a gaping wound.
We are still substantial shareholders in the business and so have lots riding on keeping it a success. If these sorts of changes were a requirement we would have sold 100%, but this isn't the case. I appreciate the opinions but our interests havent changed and aren't going to change as an ISP.

kripstoe

Expert Member
A buyer wouldn't generally purchase a business, unless it's a majority stake. I certainly wouldnt't.

But just because it's a majority stake doesn't mean there's no control. I wouldn't buy a majority stake and then go mess up a profitable business. I didn't, 4 years ago.

It happens often. Not intentionally, but owners like to own and make changes.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@TheRoDent @PBCool

I know you have stated that you will still run your network independently and sort-of answer some of the questions but what I am really interested in, what exactly this means technically.

Currently Afrihost, Axxess and Web Africa is on this Echo backbone of sorts ( I don't know the exact details ) and again these ISPs all state they run their networks independently over this shared network.

How is Coolideas' network going to be forward. Also attach to this shared Echo network (who has their own ASN), or completely separated. If not separated, which network is joining to which network to make use of the economies of scale or is the economies of scale only used when negotiating price per mbit for example with Openserv for IPC or network providers for buying transit etc.

I mean I think this is what I really want to know. Is Coolideas's expertise going to be used to assist Afrihost / Echo or what exactly is going to happen technically. Is any of the network's users going to be moved over to another network etc.

I think this is probably where most of my own question is.

All the best with the merger, whilst I am concerned about it, I truly hope all the best for you going forward.
Joining forces obviously means looking to leverage scale where you can, ourselves and Afrihost both have the same intentions in providing the best experience for customers.

Afrihost and a few other ISPs contract this work to Echo currently, whereas we don't (this is more substantial in the claim of running one's own network)

So for the foreseeable future there will be no changes to either services. But if there are it would only be to improve on either side, not take anything away.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Any recommendations for another smallish fibre company that gives good service and where you are not just a number in their ticket system. I want to get out before the popo hits the fan. Have been through it with Afrihost (who eventually stabalised, but has never been the same again), and do not want to go through it again.

Suggestions are welcome.

I am honestly very happy with Afrihost. My FNO went down for about two minutes the other day, I called in, and they could not see any issues in my area, but said they would look into it, and get back to me. They called back like ten minutes later to help diagnose it, by which point it was already back up (which they could see from their end, obviously).

Basically, my every interaction with them has been positive. Not fanboying, don't care who my ISP is, but I'd be perfectly comfortable recommending Afrihost as they are operating at the moment. Pricing is also good, comparably.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I am honestly very happy with Afrihost. My FNO went down for about two minutes the other day, I called in, and they could not see any issues in my area, but said they would look into it, and get back to me. They called back like ten minutes later to help diagnose it, by which point it was already back up (which they could see from their end, obviously).

Basically, my every interaction with them has been positive. Not fanboying, don't care who my ISP is, but I'd be perfectly comfortable recommending Afrihost as they are operating at the moment. Pricing is also good, comparably.
That is good to hear!

rvanwyk

Expert Member
Any recommendations for another smallish fibre company that gives good service and where you are not just a number in their ticket system. I want to get out before the popo hits the fan. Have been through it with Afrihost (who eventually stabalised, but has never been the same again), and do not want to go through it again.

Suggestions are welcome.
Apparently WebSquad isn't bad. Looking at them myself.

rvanwyk

Expert Member
We will do everything independently as we always have...

We may have some better network leverage, which is good for ourselves, and our clients, but the way we do things won't change...

You will see me and @PBCool here until we're gray...

Edit: starting to gray already....
The problem, for me at least, is that it's quite an emotional thing. Petty, I know. But the experiences and pain I have had to endure with Afrihost and Axxess over the last number of years for both personal and business services, connectivity and hosting, just makes it impossible for me to give Afrihost even a single cent. Whether the CI network and support stays the same or not is not relevant as my move will be out of principal.

furpile

Expert Member
@TheRoDent @PBCool can you give an indication of what the majority stake means? Is it more than 50% of the company? Or is it just a significant stake like 30% or something? Obviously there are a few CI guys that already owns a stake in the company so a majority stake could just mean that it is equal or bigger than the other stakes.

Anyway, I trust you guys to keep doing what you are doing and I will keep supporting you.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@TheRoDent @PBCool can you give an indication of what the majority stake means? Is it more than 50% of the company? Or is it just a significant stake like 30% or something? Obviously there are a few CI guys that already owns a stake in the company so a majority stake could just mean that it is equal or bigger than the other stakes.

Anyway, I trust you guys to keep doing what you are doing and I will keep supporting you.
Majority means more than 50%, so a 50.1% share would be majority.