Afrihost will buy majority stake in Cool Ideas

semaphore

Honorary Master
The problem, for me at least, is that it's quite an emotional thing. Petty, I know. But the experiences and pain I have had to endure with Afrihost and Axxess over the last number of years for both personal and business services, connectivity and hosting, just makes it impossible for me to give Afrihost even a single cent. Whether the CI network and support stays the same or not is not relevant as my move will be out of principal.
Yep, the very mere thought of me adding to Afrihost's bottom line leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Samayanaya

When fibre were installed in my area, I moved to Afrihost. One line fault later and a month without internet had me move to CISP. I'm not going back to AH. Cisp has had good service and I will stay with them as long as this is the case. Maybe AH can adopt the service quality CISP has and also become great again. It would be great for both companies

falcon786

Honorary Master
Hey MYBB maybe I missed it @Jan @rpm but a friend got a notice from MTS that vumatel will be dropping prices/upgrading line speeds from the 1st of July,could you guys do an article on this as well as find out which ISP's will be passing savings on to their clients?

PsychoCJ

This sucks... Who will be the New Great ISP? CI is the best and I will never support Afrihost again... So will need to move internet and hosting services again....

Any other good ISPs out there?
Excluding. Afrihost, MWEB, WebAfrica, CellC, Vodacom, Telkom

JohnStarr

Executive Member
This sucks... Who will be the New Great ISP? CI is the best and I will never support Afrihost again... So will need to move internet and hosting services again....

Not Vox.

rvanwyk

Expert Member

Have a look at WebSquad. I'm considering moving to them.

KingMikel

Expert Member
I love Afrihost. I've got a 100/100 line and apart from FrogFoot dropping us like a Cortina's clutch, I have 0 complaints. Their support dude, @AfriNatic, helped me out when we needed the process sped up after the previous owner of the house took the LNB with when he moved.

They've got my vote of confidence.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
I find this news interesting. I don't really understand all the Afrihating going on. Good luck to all parties involved.

I pre-ordered fibre with Afrihost the other day.
I basically looked at all the major options as to who I would want my isp to be.
I never did get to delve that deeply into CISP- I tried to do the 'check coverage' thing to see if they list our area as available for pre-order, live or not yet available, or whatnot.

Only problem is, their site is broken. That got me thinking then, do I really want a company to be my service provider when they can't even fix their own website? Just checked again today, still not working. It's the same on all my browsers- Brave, Edge and Firefox.

1623675342285.png

Crumbl0x

I find this news interesting. I don't really understand all the Afrihating going on. Good luck to all parties involved.

I pre-ordered fibre with Afrihost the other day.
I basically looked at all the major options as to who I would want my isp to be.
I never did get to delve that deeply into CISP- I tried to do the 'check coverage' thing to see if they list our area as available for pre-order, live or not yet available, or whatnot.

Only problem is, their site is broken. That got me thinking then, do I really want a company to be my service provider when they can't even fix their own website? Just checked again today, still not working. It's the same on all my browsers- Brave, Edge and Firefox.

View attachment 1088573
yeah, site was always broken for me too, and the only response I've gotten was to email directly to CISP's account page (and the page loads properly for some people which I'll never understand) which is alright given that you need to do your own research beforehand but I can imagine this would turn some newcomers off to joining at first glance.

Vorastra

Executive Member
yeah, site was always broken for me too, and the only response I've gotten was to email directly to CISP's account page (and the page loads properly for some people which I'll never understand) which is alright given that you need to do your own research beforehand but I can imagine this would turn some newcomers off to joining at first glance.
I mean, the fact that I can't check on their site is the reason I haven't gone with them.
Their site cost them at least 1 customer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cactus

Disable all your extensions and ad blockers and wait a bit then it pops up eventually :thumbsup:

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Disable all your extensions and ad blockers and wait a bit then it pops up eventually :thumbsup:
As far as I'm aware, I have no extensions or adblockers on Edge and FF, but it still isn't working for me. Only Brave browser as ad blocking and a couple extensions.

I mean, the fact that I can't check on their site is the reason I haven't gone with them.
Their site cost them at least 1 customer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That would be two then.

Aghori

Honorary Master
Long as the Coolies have control over their own stuff then it's all good. Look at Axxess and Afrihost, works well.

mjzar

As far as I'm aware, I have no extensions or adblockers on Edge and FF, but it still isn't working for me. Only Brave browser as ad blocking and a couple extensions.

That would be two then.
Came across this same issue months back... gave up
It seems to work at the moment but it takes a while... Try wait for 30 seconds :rolleyes:

Crumbl0x

Disable all your extensions and ad blockers and wait a bit then it pops up eventually
Tried Chrome, ungoogled-chromium, Firefox and a gtk3-webkit based browser with and without relevant --no-extension flags and across Vodacom, MTN and rain and after waiting + checking the console logs it never loaded so I'm most certainly chalking it up to a bad website, not even Süpersonic does it that grotesquely.

butters89

I don't think they've bought a controlling share. If that's the case, then Afrihost would only be entitled to dividends and have somewhat of a say in major decision-making. This doesn't impact either businesses too much

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Tried Chrome, ungoogled-chromium, Firefox and a gtk3-webkit based browser with and without relevant --no-extension flags and across Vodacom, MTN and rain and after waiting + checking the console logs it never loaded so I'm most certainly chalking it up to a bad website, not even Süpersonic does it that grotesquely.
Does it break for you directly from the front page, or when visiting the /coverage/ URL ? I cannot for the life of me reproduce this, firefox, chrome and brave all seem to work fine.

Crumbl0x

Does it break for you directly from the front page, or when visiting the /coverage/ URL ? I cannot for the life of me reproduce this, firefox, chrome and brave all seem to work fine.
both yeah (I was made aware of the second URL on this forum hehe), it's really strange hey

The front page one throws me 5 VUE.js related syntax errors upon pressing check coverage and the coolzone page loads the map for about two seconds then throws "Oops! Something went wrong." with a JavaScript API error: RefererNotAllowedMapError