Afrihost will buy majority stake in Cool Ideas

prOd

Expert Member
Well done @PBCool and @TheRoDent. I've always been impressed with you guys and especially your presence here on MyBB which is why I stuck with you and will continue doing so :thumbsup:

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
both yeah (I was made aware of the second URL on this forum hehe), it's really strange hey

The front page one throws me 5 VUE.js related syntax errors upon pressing check coverage and the coolzone page loads the map for about two seconds then throws "Oops! Something went wrong." with a JavaScript API error: RefererNotAllowedMapError
And you're not using something like a Raspberry Pi with PiHole, or some DNS blocking service?

Crumbl0x

And you're not using something like a Raspberry Pi with PiHole, or some DNS blocking service?
nah, I am using Quad9 on most of my devices but I tried it on my iPad that's running the default MTN one and switched between a few others from CloudFlare to Google but that still doesn't even load in Safari

Tinuva

The Magician
Interesting errors I get. It then eventually look like stuff times out, some slow network workaround is enabled and a minute or so later then it eventually give me prices and an answer.
Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 17.29.31.png

Will admit I am not a fan of Wordpress, but these errors are actually all jquery and stuff.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
In my experience, these strategic partnerships start with this concept of "business as usual ... we will leverage off this, that and the other thing ... economies of scale" et al. It never ends like that. This lingo is a preface to a takeover.

Neither party will willingly admit it. But this is the long game.

Keep CISP and their management for a year, maybe two, while taking over in the background. Hold onto current management so as not to lose the client base you have bought.

Afrihost will eventually swallow CISP. This is inevitable. No other conditions to this transaction flies. No company the size of AH buys a 'smaller' just for economies of scale. That's just smoke.

Take nothing away from CISP for the achievement. Kudos. It is was amazing while it lasted.

It is what it is :(

I am looking for a new ISP!

netstrider

Expert Member
I think people are upset because if you can count 5 good ISPs then you've done well.

Most people accept there are two main options. Afrihost and CISP. Websquad is getting there it seems.

Suddenly we have gone from three to two.

It could be great or it could end badly and the next tier of ISPs may be the beneficiaries.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
In my experience, these strategic partnerships start with this concept of "business as usual ... we will leverage off this, that and the other thing ... economies of scale" et al. It never ends like that. This lingo is a preface to a takeover.

Neither party will willingly admit it. But this is the long game.

Keep CISP and their management for a year, maybe two, while taking over in the background. Hold onto current management so as not to lose the client base you have bought.

Afrihost will eventually swallow CISP. This is inevitable. No other conditions to this transaction flies. No company the size of AH buys a 'smaller' just for economies of scale. That's just smoke.

Take nothing away from CISP for the achievement. Kudos. It is was amazing while it lasted.

It is what it is :(

I am looking for a new ISP!
As much as I can understand and respect your opinion on the matter as that is the typical approach when it comes to majority acquisitions.

This isn't a typical acquisition, the Afrihost executive is for us as the management structure to stick around for a minimum of 5 years in our current capacity.

If it was something that was based on an earn out perspective (as it usually is on a performance basis) it would effectively be a 100% acquisition with terms attached, which this isn't. We are retaining substantial shareholding indefinitely.

If you look at the Axxess dynamic, Afrihost acquired them in 2011. They still have the same management structure, systems and staff.

The only contentious subject is the network aggregation.

We didn't approach this on the principle of it being a way out, and that's not our intentions. If it was we would have sold to an MNO with 100% as the usual sort of transactions have been in the past.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I think people are upset because if you can count 5 good ISPs then you've done well.

Most people accept there are two main options. Afrihost and CISP. Websquad is getting there it seems.

Suddenly we have gone from three to two.

It could be great or it could end badly and the next tier of ISPs may be the beneficiaries.
Of the 3 potential ISPs in the group we would hold 11/13 ISP of the year awards. The intentions of all parties are the same towards customer excellence.

As mentioned on numerous counts during the course of today, nothing changes in the way we run out business.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
nah, I am using Quad9 on most of my devices but I tried it on my iPad that's running the default MTN one and switched between a few others from CloudFlare to Google but that still doesn't even load in Safari
OK, the Javascript errors have been addressed, can you give it a try again please ?

netstrider

Expert Member
Of the 3 potential ISPs in the group we would hold 11/13 ISP of the year awards. The intentions of all parties are the same towards customer excellence.

As mentioned on numerous counts during the course of today, nothing changes in the way we run out business.
Not disputing anything.

Just pointing out what the consumer's immediate thoughts may be.

Crumbl0x

OK, the Javascript errors have been addressed, can you give it a try again please ?
Apologies, I'm not by my desktop to see logs but both pages still don't load on my mobile, and the cache was purged to be sure :/

JustAsk

Expert Member
Long as the Coolies have control over their own stuff then it's all good. Look at Axxess and Afrihost, works well.
That's because one is pretty much just a mirror of the other...with the usual R2 cheaper pricing. Not much can go wrong there.

With this it looks like Afrihost was looking for its own Openserve to score some telkom style pricing.

Grep

What I think everyone is trying to say is that, this is not our first rodeo. When the AH and MTN thing happened, everyone here on this forum through up red flag after red flag. Totally ignored. When all the problem's got pointed out, pretty much all of the blame was put on the client.

I am not a client of CISP, but once burned .......

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
What I think everyone is trying to say is that, this is not our first rodeo. When the AH and MTN thing happened, everyone here on this forum through up red flag after red flag. Totally ignored. When all the problem's got pointed out, pretty much all of the blame was put on the client.

I am not a client of CISP, but once burned .......
Sure but this isn't MTN.

Radioboy

This is our official PR, for anyone that's concerned that things are going to "change". We will continue to service our clients as we always have, and we're not changing the way we operate.

Afrihost to acquire a majority stake in Cool Ideas.​

Afrihost and Cool Ideas have concluded negotiations and inked a deal wherein Afrihost seeks to acquire a majority stake in Cool Ideas.

Founded by Paul Butschi, and Andre Jooste in 2011, Cool Ideas has won the 2018 and 2020 MyBroadband “ISP of the year” awards and has been singularly focused on providing the best uncapped, unshaped, fibre to the home and business throughout South Africa.

The combination of Cool Ideas’ and Afrihosts’ network infrastructure will provide for significant scale benefits and further improve the already sterling delivery of fast, uncapped internet to clients with the dedication and innovation that has made Cool Ideas successful.

Cool Ideas will remain an independent brand, and stand-alone business, with the same founders, management team and employees.

Cool Ideas is excited to partner with Afrihost, and is working with Afrihost to conclude the transaction as soon as possible. The transaction is subject to the necessary regulatory approvals.
Nothing gonna change ?

Awww, and here I thought Gian is gonna make you less of a smuck.

Gimli

Joining forces obviously means looking to leverage scale where you can, ourselves and Afrihost both have the same intentions in providing the best experience for customers.

Afrihost and a few other ISPs contract this work to Echo currently, whereas we don't (this is more substantial in the claim of running one's own network)

So for the foreseeable future there will be no changes to either services. But if there are it would only be to improve on either side, not take anything away.
@PBCool @TheRoDent Here is an idea for you on how to 'leverage the economies of scale' and 'capitalize on the synergies'. No consulting fees charged. Seeing you have fallen behind on IPv6 network build out you can just plug in at Echo and have an instant IPv6 network. Future proofed and everything. And then you have already migrated your future network to theirs. Brilliant

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
The competition commission will not approve this deal.

On public interest grounds:

It will significantly dilute the (previously downtrodden) rodent shareholding.

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Any recommendations for another smallish fibre company that gives good service and where you are not just a number in their ticket system. I want to get out before the popo hits the fan. Have been through it with Afrihost (who eventually stabalised, but has never been the same again), and do not want to go through it again.

Suggestions are welcome.
WebSquad