Afrihost will buy majority stake in Cool Ideas

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@PBCool @TheRoDent Here is an idea for you on how to 'leverage the economies of scale' and 'capitalize on the synergies'. No consulting fees charged. Seeing you have fallen behind on IPv6 network build out you can just plug in at Echo and have an instant IPv6 network. Future proofed and everything. And then you have already migrated your future network to theirs. Brilliant
The irony here is this is exactly what people don't want. And again with the v6 argument?

Gimli

You can carry on spending all your effort on optimizing your v4 network and hand over all ipv6 traffic to your new buddies. If it was as easy as 'as opposed to anywhere else', can't you make the same argument for v4?

Where else would the economies of scale come from? Buying company laptops? Sharing backoffice overheads? I wouldn't think that this moves gives you more leverage over FNOs as most people have exactly one FNO to choose from

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
You can carry on spending all your effort on optimizing your v4 network and hand over all ipv6 traffic to your new buddies. If it was as easy as 'as opposed to anywhere else', can't you make the same argument for v4?

Where else would the economies of scale come from? Buying company laptops? Sharing backoffice overheads? I wouldn't think that this moves gives you more leverage over FNOs as most people have exactly one FNO to choose from

With a dual stack network you don't just hand one part of the stack to someone else, that's not how these things work, and when you optimise your v4 network you optimise your v6 at the same time.

Economies of scale come from capacity buying power typically and sharing resources. The spend combined may give you more leverage over an FNO, or the possibility to bypass having to move a customer each time logically with a vlan change.

Tinuva

The Magician
Joining forces obviously means looking to leverage scale where you can, ourselves and Afrihost both have the same intentions in providing the best experience for customers.

Afrihost and a few other ISPs contract this work to Echo currently, whereas we don't (this is more substantial in the claim of running one's own network)

So for the foreseeable future there will be no changes to either services. But if there are it would only be to improve on either side, not take anything away.

As much as I can understand and respect your opinion on the matter as that is the typical approach when it comes to majority acquisitions.

This isn't a typical acquisition, the Afrihost executive is for us as the management structure to stick around for a minimum of 5 years in our current capacity.

If it was something that was based on an earn out perspective (as it usually is on a performance basis) it would effectively be a 100% acquisition with terms attached, which this isn't. We are retaining substantial shareholding indefinitely.

If you look at the Axxess dynamic, Afrihost acquired them in 2011. They still have the same management structure, systems and staff.

The only contentious subject is the network aggregation.

We didn't approach this on the principle of it being a way out, and that's not our intentions. If it was we would have sold to an MNO with 100% as the usual sort of transactions have been in the past.

The 2 above posts adds enough confidence for me that I will stay on CISP. At least for 5 years ;) :thumbsup:

Neuk_

Executive Member
I really hope this works out for the best for everyone, I am a very satisfied CISP client and have been for years, I have heard horror stories with Afrihost but haven't experienced them personally but I was only with Afrihost when I last had ADSL years ago. Good luck!

I specifically chose CoolIdeas because of their track record now we have to deal with the Afrihost problems. My company has an Afrihost account and we regularly have issues and bad latency.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I specifically chose CoolIdeas because of their track record now we have to deal with the Afrihost problems. My company has an Afrihost account and we regularly have issues and bad latency.
Well there are no changes, so no need to worry (as mentioned repeatedly, as well as in the article) :)

s0lar

Expert Member
I wouldn't hold my breath. Share holders require performance. The big issue here is Afrihost's proven de facto business model is to run their links as hot as possible. How long until the shareholders are going to cry for this to boost return.

virtual11

The worst news I have heard today. I parted ways with Afrihost for Cool Ideas for their pathetic fibre services just last month. Cool Ideas is one of the few remaining respectable and reliable internet service providers in the country. I can only compare it to the ANC taking over Apple. Just clicking on this news article has made my internet unstable.

thehuman

Expert Member
Lets hope Cool ideas superior network rub of on afrihost.

Cool ideas need to start selling backbone to afrihost .

Armizael

This is something we are looking at.

This is actually a pretty awesome idea, as long as we're never met with "bear with us while we organize upgrades on our capacity in the next few days/weeks" if that happens :)

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Never had any particular issues with Afrihost all those years ago when I was customer of theirs.

Only reason I switched was because of a fantastic deal that Vox had at the time that allowed me to have a dual connection (home and work) that shared the same account without any issues (Afrihost didn't have this capability). Then, when fibre came along, DJ launched his ISP that I was very happy with until it all went pear shaped.

Very happy with Cool Ideas, and, based on the responses here from PBCool am looking forward to many more years with them.

HNAS

Your network from the coastal regions .. e.g EL sucks big time. Your routing is totally wrong. Pings to the UK is over 220ms
You sure about this now? From Afrihost fiber in Joburg:
ping uk.hosted.co.za
PING uk.hosted.co.za (46.101.7.229) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from eu.hosted.co.za (46.101.7.229): icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=166 ms
64 bytes from eu.hosted.co.za (46.101.7.229): icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=165 ms
64 bytes from eu.hosted.co.za (46.101.7.229): icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=165 ms
64 bytes from eu.hosted.co.za (46.101.7.229): icmp_seq=4 ttl=55 time=165 ms
64 bytes from eu.hosted.co.za (46.101.7.229): icmp_seq=5 ttl=55 time=165 ms
64 bytes from eu.hosted.co.za (46.101.7.229): icmp_seq=6 ttl=55 time=165 ms
64 bytes from eu.hosted.co.za (46.101.7.229): icmp_seq=7 ttl=55 time=165 ms
64 bytes from eu.hosted.co.za (46.101.7.229): icmp_seq=8 ttl=55 time=165 ms
64 bytes from eu.hosted.co.za (46.101.7.229): icmp_seq=9 ttl=55 time=166 ms