Afrihost will buy majority stake in Cool Ideas

Reaper1242

Hasn't their service improved though? They had a rough start at some point but managed to slowly get it back on track. Their support though is typical that you would expect of a big corporate though, felt like I was talking to some offshore support and had to repeat stuff that was already said in the ticket and received questions that was already answered. So I decided to go with Cool Ideas as they were a smaller company and could give better attention and support on a more "personal" level.

I am probably overreacting and should chill a bit, but I am not looking forward to become just a number again.

I am happy for Gian Visser, he has scored well in this one though.
I was with Afrihost from the beginning. It all started just great but as they got bigger it was a rollercoaster of service fluctuation.
You're right. I got tired of feeling like they were too big to care about support.

I see how this will go. It all starts with "bigger and better things" but either Cool Ideas will get too big or they'll just get crappy like Axxess

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
Well in the end is that not the point of every company?
Last year afrihost wrote some story about how they gonna do everything they can to claim no 1 spot but yeah never got it so now they buy cisp.

I recall that time mtn bought a majority in Afrihost that messed them up super big

RedViking

Nord of the South
I got tired of feeling like they were too big to care about support.

I do think they care about support as they did massive crisis handling at some point and did not just ignore it. But when a company gets that big there is only so much you can do. They SEEM TO have been pretty stable since then, although different of course. You can't just pick up the phone and give them a quick call anymore.

saor

Honorary Master
Afrihost and Cool Ideas will run and operate as separate entities. ;)
Surely the eventual goal is to unify though? Can't imagine a company would buy another and have two names supplying basically the same service. For example why spend money on advertising for two companies when you can merge & just advertise one.

Doesn't really bother me. I've been very happy with Afrihost over the years.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
I will remain a CISP customer if networks stays the same but as soon as Echo or Telkom get involved i am out.

Have multiple people constantly complaining asking me for help to get around extremely bad routing by Afrihost and Axxess....

RedViking

Nord of the South
I've been very happy with Afrihost over the years.

Are you happy with their new support system compared to being able to pick up the phone and just give them a quick call?

Obviously they have worked hard on it to get it where it is now.

All I am saying is, it is not the same anymore. Hence I have been very happy with CISP as it felt like the good ol' days again.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member

Unfortunately FrogFoot hands traffic over to us in Teraco JHB. This is not ISPs specific though and as far as I'm aware it's all ISPs that offer services on FrogFoot in East London.

I'm going to get in touch with FrogFoot to see if there is something that can be done about this as via CPT or DUR might be a better solution.

We have recently added more capacity via Cogent and see latency to the UK from JHB at around 160ms which is really good.

Reactions: Yuu

mathebus

I don't think this is such a bad idea as people are making it out to be. Both are great companies who are really good at what they do. I've been with Afrihost for about 6 years and have only received impeccable service. A family member needed fibre a couple of years back and i recommended Cool Ideas. They were amazing and had 0 problems apart from the DDoS attack. Cool Ideas would still operate independently so that's the important thing i guess. Better they leverage each other's resources in a positive way so that everyone gains a quality internet experience.

This is just my opinion.

Reaper1242

I do think they care about support as they did massive crisis handling at some point and did not just ignore it. But when a company gets that big there is only so much you can do. They SEEM TO have been pretty stable since then, although different of course. You can't just pick up the phone and give them a quick call anymore.
The problem is I watched the same thing happen. They always fix it and it gets stable for a while and then it all goes to hell again.
Honestly, it always bothered me just now difficult it became to reach them. The amount of times my connection went on a Friday and there was no reliable way to get them until Monday

RedViking

Nord of the South
Anyways, the forum is only waking up tomorrow, gonna be interesting to see all the responses. Catch y'all later. ;)

/ :popcorn:

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
It should really, really bother you that people are this unhappy that you might infect Cool Ideas with your crappy service. Perhaps you should be focussing on fixing your own issues.

We have dropped the ball in the past and have really turned things around for the better. We constantly rate amongst the best ISPs and we will continue to work to get that number 1 spot.

Reaper1242

We have dropped the ball quite a bit in the past. Not going to deny that. We do however try our very best to make things right. We have made good progress and are constantly rated in the Top 3 fibre ISPs in SA.
As long as Cool Ideas doesn't degrade and they don't adopt your "support" system I'll stay. Otherwise I'm out.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
I will remain a CISP customer if networks stays the same but as soon as Echo or Telkom get involved i am out.

Have multiple people constantly complaining asking me for help to get around extremely bad routing by Afrihost and Axxess....
Obviously one of the reasons is that we have a well-run network, where the actual engineers engage with clients in this forum. That's not going to change.

Reaper1242

We have dropped the ball in the past and have really turned things around for the better. We constantly rate amongst the best ISPs and we will continue to work to get that number 1 spot.
I've heard a version of this so many times from you over the years. Your problem is you don't listen to people until there's enough press or you lose enough accounts and then you sort it out for a while.

I remember having to move all my customer accounts off your hosting when that went to hell and no one could get support.
Nah, I've seen this movie too many times.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Unfortunately FrogFoot hands traffic over to us in Teraco JHB. This is not ISPs specific though and as far as I'm aware it's all ISPs that offer services on FrogFoot in East London.

I'm going to get in touch with FrogFoot to see if there is something that can be done about this as via CPT or DUR might be a better solution.

We have recently added more capacity via Cogent and see latency to the UK from JHB at around 160ms which is really good.
I know FF hands traffic to JHB first, which of cause is a major latency issue. It make online gaming really a sad state of affairs.