Afrihost will buy majority stake in Cool Ideas

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep
Obviously one of the reasons is that we have a well-run network, where the actual engineers engage with clients in this forum. That's not going to change.
So then why sell out?

If it’s purely for a monetary gain then I’m sure that there are enough invested parties on the forum that would buy into your business instead of having you go through with what you have proposed.

zoozi

Expert Member
No man ****it, sad day if they do end up eventually operating singularly... I found the perfect ISP, after trying so many others for years. Now it's taken over by a larger, still good, but less "quality" company. Out goes the smaller scale efficiencies, response time and attention to detail if its combined. Congrats on the sale but hope it doesn't turn out worse :crying:.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
I think there is a misunderstanding regarding what is going to happen. It is a change in shareholding, not a change in management. If anything, Cool Ideas and Afrihost subscribers will benefit.

I think very few Axxess subscribers even know Afrihost is a shareholder. Afrihost is good at leaving these companies alone to serve their customers as before.

The combined power should allow them to negotiate better deals and the like.

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep
I think there is a misunderstanding regarding what is going to happen. It is a change in shareholding, not a change in management. If anything, Cool Ideas and Afrihost subscribers will benefit.

I think very few Axxess subscribers even know Afrihost is a shareholder. Afrihost is good at leaving these companies alone to serve their customers as before.

Shareholders dictate the direction of the company and demand for higher profits and less customer service. Been in the game long enough to see many companies fail after being acquired. At the end of the day only the investors score.

I hope I am wrong but some how doubt it

Dslartibarfast

Literally moved from Afrihost and their kak service to Cool Ideas and now Afrihost is going after them. Is their goal to just make every network as kak as theirs? The customer service was also awful!! Still have the broken modem they refused to replace we never used!

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
So then why sell out?

If it’s purely for a monetary gain then I’m sure that there are enough invested parties on the forum that would buy into your business instead of having you go through with what you have proposed.
Selling a majority stake is not a "sell-out". If we sold 100% to let's say Vodacom, that would be a "sell-out".

It's the natural progression of any succesful business that there might be people with capital, that are willing to invest in success. That's capitalism, and pretty much they way the world works. This happens daily on the JSE.

If someone were to offer money for a shareholding in @Jade @ Absolute Hosting, would that be a "sell-out"? When companies list on the stock exchange, and people buy lots of shares -- is that a "sell-out" ? This is how the world works. Willing buyer, willing seller....

A controlling shareholding doesn't mean that we've exited, that would be a sell-out. We're all still invested as the original shareholders and founders, and we're continuing to build the company and operate as we always have.

And if this forum could raise capital, in a private company, we would do that. But that doesn't generally happen. If we listed, it would be public and anyone could participate. But we're not publically listed. So what would you proposed the process be for getting public investment in a non-listed company ?

And if there were enough "invested parties" ..... Where's the investment, or willingness to put up capital ?

I have personally invested a lot of capital, time and effort. Am I now not allowed to capitalise on that success, for fear of being a "sellout" ?

Our business hasn't changed, and we'll carry on doing what we've always done. Providing the best, uncapped, unshaped internet we can.

That's the succesful formula. Why would we change that ?

Last edited:

Reaper1242

I'd maybe agree if Axxess had seen any benefit. They've stayed mediocre.

richjdavies

Expert Member
Wow... Lots of afrihaters here.

Left CI a few years ago because they were terrible at support (moving house) and actually found Afrihost to be excellent. Whatsapp support is always perfect response...

Afrihost -- since they left MTN -- are not the corporate juggernaut most of you seem to be describing.

Makes me wonder why the CI guys wanted out? BEEE problems? Wanting to emigrate?

Reaper1242

Selling majority stake is not a "sell-out". If we sold 100% to let's say Vodacom, that would be a "sell-out".

It's the natural progression of any succesful business that there might be people with capital, that are willing to invest in success. That's capitalism, and pretty much they way the world works.

If someone were to offer money for a shareholding in Absolute Hosting, would that be a "sell-out"? When companies list on the stock exchange, is that a "sell-out" ? This is how the world works. Willing buyer, willing seller....

A controlling shareholding doesn't mean that we've exited, that would be a sell-out. We're all stil invested as the original shareholders and founders, and we're continuing to build the company and operate as wel always have.
Clearly TheRoDent is triggered by the words "sell-out".

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
The lure if the new house and m3 was enough to sell out loyal customers.

Its ok, we will go where the best service is.

In my experience afrihost has sucked. Time will tell i guess

Reaper1242

Wow... Lots of afrihaters here.

Left CI a few years ago because they were terrible at support (moving house) and actually found Afrihost to be excellent. Whatsapp support is always perfect response...

Afrihost -- since they left MTN -- are not the corporate juggernaut most of you seem to be describing.

Makes me wonder why the CI guys wanted out? BEEE problems? Wanting to emigrate?
We'll see when you've been with them a while. Many of us learnt from years with them. It's all smiles now but they'll drop the ball soon enough.

Hunted

This seems like bad news. Things went horribly wrong with Afrihost when they sold majority shares to MTN, so much so that I had to leave and look for another service provider for ADSL at the time.

It's been said that nothing will change, but surely the majority shareholder can out vote any changes they want to force?

Reaper1242

This seems like bad news. Things went horribly wrong with Afrihost when they sold majority shares to MTN, so much so that I had to leave and look for another service provider for ADSL at the time.

It's been said that nothing will change, but surely the majority shareholder can out vote any changes they want to force?
That's how they get you. It always starts with "nothing will change" until it does

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
No man ****it, sad day if they do end up eventually operating singularly... I found the perfect ISP, after trying so many others for years. Now it's taken over by a larger, still good, but less "quality" company. Out goes the smaller scale efficiencies, response time and attention to detail if its combined. Congrats on the sale but hope it doesn't turn out worse :crying:.
None of that will change, we will continue to operate independantly.

richjdavies

Expert Member

Agreed. Afrihost went bad under MTN in only 2 years of ownership. But they bought it back years ago... 2016!

Been with Afrihost since we last moved (2 years soon? Because CI just could not do anything right for MONTHS!!!) and the few times Ive contacted support they have been great. Whatsapp support, if you have your ID and account number to hand is brilliant (had a fibre break with openserve and compared to neighbours our experience was effortless!!)

(Ps - do chuck away their JUNK router though!!!)