Afrihost will buy majority stake in Cool Ideas

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I don't get why everyone is so concerned about this. Afrihost provides exceptional fibre performance. I signed up for Pure Fibre soon after it was announced and haven't noticed a moment of shaping or throttling. The two best ISPs for fibre imo are Afrihost and Cool Ideas. And Axxess hasn't been scorched since Afrihost bought it. So who cares if Afrihost buys a majority stake in Cool Ideas?

If Mweb, MTN, Vodacom, Cell C or Rain bought Cool Ideas, then I'd be worried. This situation though, not so much.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Silly question - why a majority stake?
A buyer wouldn't generally purchase a business, unless it's a majority stake. I certainly wouldnt't.

But just because it's a majority stake doesn't mean there's no control. I wouldn't buy a majority stake and then go mess up a profitable business. I didn't, 4 years ago.

powermzii

Expert Member
Maybe this is protected info but curious to know what CISP would gain from this tie in with Afrihost that they aren't able to do now? From a technical and service perspective @PBCool @TheRoDent

Sinbad

Honorary Master
A buyer wouldn't generally purchase a business, unless it's a majority stake. I certainly wouldnt't.

But just because it's a majority stake doesn't mean there's no control. I wouldn't buy a majority stake and then go mess up a profitable business. I didn't, 4 years ago.
Even if that business is driving down your margins and your sales by being better than you?

Call me a cynic but it really smells like assimilating the competition.

Reactions: OCP

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Maybe this is protected info but curious to know what CISP would gain from this tie in with Afrihost that they aren't able to do now? From a technical and service perspective @PBCool @TheRoDent
Well, there are obvious things such as us not having to charge customers R1027 when a new customer signs up, if we do things collboratively.

Vumatel charges an amount, just to change ISP's if thats's an indiciation. For doing nothing. Just changing a VLAN.

SZN

Expert Member
I wish! But not that rich...
For some reason everyon thinks that ISP's make billions.
We don't.

It will come soon enough :thumbsup:

Wishing you guys all the best with the venture.

As a consumer I'm concerned with competition/other potential issues, but as someone in finance I can appreciate all the hard work all of you at CISP have put in over a long time and are finally being rewarded for.

Hopefully in a few years you can buy your share back from Afrihost an be independent again, like the Afrihost did with MTN.

mastercylinder

Well, there are obvious things such as us not having to charge customers R1027 when a new customer signs up, if we do things collboratively.

Vumatel charges an amount, just to change ISP's if thats's an indiciation. For doing nothing. Just changing a VLAN.
I came here to make a joke about switching to afrihost for free to save money since the service should now be the same, but their vumatel line is actually more expensive... Well played,sir. Well played.

(to clarify, I've actually never had any issues with either company. By service being the same, I mean that in a positive way. I think afrihost can (and have) learned from watching cool ideas)

Last edited:

B-1

Expert Member
When the money men start asking questions about multiple cost centres doing the same thing I'm sure there will be changes. But I'm sure we have some time before that kicks in.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
I wonder if the upcoming 30% BEE requirement has anything to do with this?

The two companies positioning to attract some of the better BEE partners maybe?

semaphore

Honorary Master
Oh well, cisp
I think this will be positive and will not affect Afrihost or Cool Ideas much. We have seen that Axxess operates entirely independently, and we can expect the same with Cool Ideas. There may even be benefits through combining networks.
yes you would think that considering afrihost owns you.

• Haha
Reactions: SZN

Desig

This is our official PR, for anyone that's concerned that things are going to "change". We will continue to service our clients as we always have, and we're not changing the way we operate.

Afrihost to acquire a majority stake in Cool Ideas.​

Afrihost and Cool Ideas have concluded negotiations and inked a deal wherein Afrihost seeks to acquire a majority stake in Cool Ideas.

Founded by Paul Butschi, and Andre Jooste in 2011, Cool Ideas has won the 2018 and 2020 MyBroadband “ISP of the year” awards and has been singularly focused on providing the best uncapped, unshaped, fibre to the home and business throughout South Africa.

The combination of Cool Ideas’ and Afrihosts’ network infrastructure will provide for significant scale benefits and further improve the already sterling delivery of fast, uncapped internet to clients with the dedication and innovation that has made Cool Ideas successful.

Cool Ideas will remain an independent brand, and stand-alone business, with the same founders, management team and employees.

Cool Ideas is excited to partner with Afrihost, and is working with Afrihost to conclude the transaction as soon as possible. The transaction is subject to the necessary regulatory approvals.
Cool ideas literally had the worst customer support

Gimli

We will do everything independently as we always have...

We may have some better network leverage, which is good for ourselves, and our clients, but the way we do things won't change...

You will see me and @PBCool here until we're gray...

Edit: starting to gray already....
Are you going to tunnel everything through Echo now as well? How else will you 'leverage' the 'economies of scale'