Afrihost, you were the chosen ones :(

TechSlug

Hi there

I was without internet for the month of October and needed just one months worth of data from someone. I saw on Afrihosts site that there was a sim only cell c 100gb deal where its month to month. there were others with a router, but you had to pay 999 if you cancelled after one month which would not suit me. Now, because I have been taken for rides by ISPs in the past, I though I better make 110% sure about this and before I sign up, speak to a representative so its clear what I need from this package which is, 1 month, at which point after I will cancel and I dont want to pay a penalty.

So I emailed Afrihost and spoke to a Portia. I have the email thread where I just wanted conformation whether I can keep the router IF i take the one with the router as I will cancel after 1 month and dont want to pay 999 (even though i knew the site said otehrwise I just wanted to check). She said that it would be best that I take the sim only option in that case and if I wanted a router, it would have to be a seperate deal. No worries, I took the sim only month to month so I can cancel after a month with no penalty. And I was quite confident as now I had email proof of afrihost confirming this.

Skip to beginning of November when I need to cancel. They want me to pay a R999. The levels of rage I was feeling and still am is unmeasurable. I dont know what to do anymore if I cant even trust afrihost who I recommend all the time (Im in IT and deal with ISPs often). I even have 2 websites with afrihost. I asked them to get a manager to call me back on more than one occasion and they chose to ignore my requests. Then the last mail I sent they just chose to ignore entirely and I havnt heard back. I cant afford this R999 and thats why I asked before I signed up. What more can I do?

If anyone cares about my business here are the two refs. Very sad afrihost customer :(

KDM-234-15580
GMK-431-28073

OCP

Expert Member
Good luck - AH has proven time and time again to be dishonest and unscrupulous; happy to take your money for services they know they cannot provide.

I'd suggest you take it up with Gian but he has been MIA and does not seem to care about resolving his client issues or the damage his company reputation continues to take.

Naks

Expert Member
sjoe, I'd be livid as well

not sure what you can do now.

Maybe pay the R999 and then claim it back via the small claims court, naming Gian as the respondent?

MirageF1

Expert Member
There website states clearly that all their packages incur a 999 penalty charge., sim only as well.
What's the problem?

Up to 1 Month Free Data on SIM Only Promotion
You get pro-rated data for the month in which you sign up. For example, if you sign up on the 1st of the month, you will get 1 month absolutely free. But, if you sign up on the 25th of the month, you will get the 5 remaining days of that month free. Maximum of 3 signups per legal entity (business or individual). SIM & Device packages unfortunately do NOT qualify for this promotion. Should you cancel or downgrade your Fixed Wireless package in less than 6 months from signup date, or your account falls into arrears, you will automatically be charged a cancellation fee of R999.

Last edited:

TechSlug

There website states clearly that all their packages incur a 999 penalty charge., sim only as well.
What's the problem?
The problem, is I spoke to a rep. When you speak to someone at an ISP prior to signing anything, explaining what you need which is internet for one month only and dont want to pay possible penalties, then get recomended a package which they state fits that profile without paying penalties when cancelling,... need I go on?

I see the fine print you are refering to. But they skrewed up here too. I have it in email from Afrihost recomending this package if I dont want to pay a penalty.

TechSlug

They finally responded on their facebook page by someone called Keletso. He showed me the fine print too but agrees this should have been explained to me and not recomended as an option. He escalated it, I got a call from a lady at payments where I had to explain the whole situation again. She agrees too and is escalating it higher and will call me back.

racer

What's the problem?
The problem is that in the month I've had this package, the "broadband LTE" has never been more than 1.5Mbps.. so its broken, it doesn't work and i don't see why I have to pay a penalty to return a broken product... its one thing if i'm returning it for my own reasons, quite another when it doesn't work and I can't use it....
But they want their pound of flesh anyway, and refer me to Cell C to fix. Cell C looks at my complaint and refers me back to Afrihost. I'm being screwed by both and they're just happy to take my money every month. So I've cancelled debit order and will wait for someone other than these useless afrireps to call me....

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Hi there

I was without internet for the month of October and needed just one months worth of data from someone. I saw on Afrihosts site that there was a sim only cell c 100gb deal where its month to month. there were others with a router, but you had to pay 999 if you cancelled after one month which would not suit me. Now, because I have been taken for rides by ISPs in the past, I though I better make 110% sure about this and before I sign up, speak to a representative so its clear what I need from this package which is, 1 month, at which point after I will cancel and I dont want to pay a penalty.

So I emailed Afrihost and spoke to a Portia. I have the email thread where I just wanted conformation whether I can keep the router IF i take the one with the router as I will cancel after 1 month and dont want to pay 999 (even though i knew the site said otehrwise I just wanted to check). She said that it would be best that I take the sim only option in that case and if I wanted a router, it would have to be a seperate deal. No worries, I took the sim only month to month so I can cancel after a month with no penalty. And I was quite confident as now I had email proof of afrihost confirming this.

Skip to beginning of November when I need to cancel. They want me to pay a R999. The levels of rage I was feeling and still am is unmeasurable. I dont know what to do anymore if I cant even trust afrihost who I recommend all the time (Im in IT and deal with ISPs often). I even have 2 websites with afrihost. I asked them to get a manager to call me back on more than one occasion and they chose to ignore my requests. Then the last mail I sent they just chose to ignore entirely and I havnt heard back. I cant afford this R999 and thats why I asked before I signed up. What more can I do?

If anyone cares about my business here are the two refs. Very sad afrihost customer :(

KDM-234-15580
GMK-431-28073
I am so sorry about this. This really shouldn't have happened this way. I am not sure why we informed you differently regarding this.

I will sort this out for you as it really feels like you were messed around here.

If you download the latest statement from your ClientZone you will see the alterations I have made.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Good luck - AH has proven time and time again to be dishonest and unscrupulous; happy to take your money for services they know they cannot provide.

I'd suggest you take it up with Gian but he has been MIA and does not seem to care about resolving his client issues or the damage his company reputation continues to take.
Sorted this client out as it is clearly a mistake on our side.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
The problem is that in the month I've had this package, the "broadband LTE" has never been more than 1.5Mbps.. so its broken, it doesn't work and i don't see why I have to pay a penalty to return a broken product... its one thing if i'm returning it for my own reasons, quite another when it doesn't work and I can't use it....
But they want their pound of flesh anyway, and refer me to Cell C to fix. Cell C looks at my complaint and refers me back to Afrihost. I'm being screwed by both and they're just happy to take my money every month. So I've cancelled debit order and will wait for someone other than these useless afrireps to call me....
I think calling us 'useless' is really not called for. I have only been trying to help you here. Please check your PM's as a message has been sent to you.

OCP

Expert Member
Sorted this client out as it is clearly a mistake on our side.
Well done for doing the right thing.

I hope this means the numerous clients that paid for services we did not receive are now also going to be refunded?

namzsteve

Expert Member

I hope this means the numerous clients that paid for services we did not receive are now also going to be refunded?
Dream on, I think we have all had an episode with Afrihost. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with them anymore

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member

If we can help out we will. I cannot guarantee that every case will have the same outcome, but I will do my best.