• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Afrihost Zest T1 smartphone review

McT

The Humble Scot!
As a white-labelled Alps Android smartphone, the Zest T1 has a cheap-looking plastic shell, though no more cheap-looking than a Samsung Galaxy S3 or S4 (or most any other budget phone for that matter).
Had to laugh at this. No more cheap looking than one of the more expensive handsets :)

Debeer165

Expert Member
Poorly constructed? Why yes, I do enjoy 5,000 buck phones that feel like my old high school calculator :p

ld13

Honorary Master
Need more info about the screen and viewing angles.
Also need to know if I heard the audio stutter in the video or if I imagined it... nope, I hear it - some cpu load stats would help to determine the cause of the stutter. Basic benchmarking would also be nice.

Totempole

Expert Member
Good to finally know what CPU and GPU it has. Now does it have Corning Gorilla glass or similar? Or just scratch resistant plastic?

Jan

Drifting in the black
Need more info about the screen and viewing angles.
Viewing angles are good. Display also performs well in sunlight.

Something I forgot to mention was the direction of polarisation. I have a pair of polarised sunglasses and when I turn most high-end phones in landscape orientation I can't see what's happening on the screen while wearing them.

The Zest T1's polarisation runs the other way, which suits me well because it means I can wear my shades in the car and have the phone running a nav app in landscape and see what's happening on the screen.

Basic benchmarking would also be nice.
I have benchmarks, but the article was already quite long I didn't want to bog it down with it. Will post them a bit later.

ld13

Honorary Master
Something I forgot to mention was the direction of polarisation. I have a pair of polarised sunglasses and when I turn most high-end phones in landscape orientation I can't see what's happening on the screen while wearing them.
Polarization might differ from pair to pair though.

What time does the launch start on Wednesday?
Why do I recall seeing a 10am somewhere?

vicv

Expert Member
Very nice review, enjoyed it a lot. Also curious as to whether it uses gorilla glass or not.