AFRINIC is taking back what was stolen in the Great African IP address heist

I read the article, but the missing piece is: will this theft go unpunished?
There is a lot of reference to whom the possible culprit is, but no statement that anything will be done about the theft.
According to the article the addresses are being reclaimed, great stuff, but are they just letting this slide?

This was done in Mauritius I believe. For some stupid reason Afrinic is based there.

Yeah I know... also bit confuzzled as to why its based there myself, but it is what it is... probably a good thing if their law enforcement is anywhere nearly as efficient as AFRINIC in terms of dealing with the issue.

Yeah I know... also bit confuzzled as to why its based there myself, but it is what it is... probably a good thing if their law enforcement is anywhere nearly as efficient as AFRINIC in terms of dealing with the issue.
Same reason quite a few SA companies are moving IP to Mauritius - less tax.

Same reason quite a few SA companies are moving IP to Mauritius - less tax.

Its an NPO... not quite the same story as companies moving their IP to Mauritius for the lower tax rates and all that

IMO the real question is why these unused but valuable IP blocks had not been reassigned years ago?

IMO the real question is why these unused but valuable IP blocks had not been reassigned years ago?
Read all the articles written about this mess. Then you will understand the process.
This is not only an indictment of poor management within AFRINIC, but of every organisation that originally "owned" those address blocks.
If they had properly controlled the blocks, knew what they were and did not allow the blocks to become dormant in the first place, it would have been more difficult for the heist to take place.
Just another symptom of the collapse of proper management when social engineering initiatives such as BEE and AA take place.

This is not only an indictment of poor management within AFRINIC, but of every organisation that originally "owned" those address blocks.

While this is true of the story as a whole, I do want to point out that this article is specifically about IP address space which was assigned, seemingly out of nowhere, to four entities in the AFRINIC WHOIS database: Link Data, ITC, CGHB, and Infoplan (now: NAIT).

As best we could piece together, these huge chunks of IP address space were taken straight from AFRINIC's free pool. This "free pool" is the IP address space that AFRINIC was entrusted with to assign to those in Africa (and the Indian Ocean region) who need it.

By my calculation, 1,325,824 IP addresses, worth almost R394 million, were taken from the AFRINIC free pool.

The issue of the stolen legacy IP address blocks which had their WHOIS records altered is a related matter, but somewhat different.

If they had properly controlled the blocks, knew what they were and did not allow the blocks to become dormant in the first place, it would have been more difficult for the heist to take place.

With respect to the stolen legacy blocks, yes. (Caveat: See my response to your next point/quote below).

It would not have helped detect the theft of IP address space from the AFRINIC free pool.

Just another symptom of the collapse of proper management when social engineering initiatives such as BEE and AA take place.

Hard disagree.

I've seen reports of the hijacking and squatting on legacy blocks from all over the world.

It was the 90s and the Internet was the wild west. Almost no business kept proper records or ensure proper continuity when their long-suffering IT managers moved on or retired.

Back