Age Of Empires IV

theratman

Honorary Master
Enjoying the campaign so far, think I'm about 5 or 6 missions in. Played a few skirmishes which were fun too. I agree with comments on the graphics, they are just ok, which is a bit of a let down.

Archer

Honorary Master
Bad cavalry mechanics has been a serious mood killer for me. A bunch of heavy knights should be able to run over light infantry or archers, not charge, stop and then swing swords for 20 minutes.
Give me the cavalry from those LotR games with less over the top physics and we'd be golden

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Bad cavalry mechanics has been a serious mood killer for me. A bunch of heavy knights should be able to run over light infantry or archers, not charge, stop and then swing swords for 20 minutes.
Give me the cavalry from those LotR games with less over the top physics and we'd be golden
AoE has always been that way.
It's a hitpoint vs damage modifier strategy game.

It's not like Total War where unit types, angle of attack and terrain matter.

AntennaMan

Expert Member
AoE has always been that way.
It's a hitpoint vs damage modifier strategy game.

It's not like Total War where unit types, angle of attack and terrain matter.
But they do matter.

Cavalry > Archers, Spearmen > Cavalry, Archers > Spearmen.
Bonus to Line of Sight and extra damage when on a hill.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
But they do matter.

Cavalry > Archers, Spearmen > Cavalry, Archers > Spearmen.
Bonus to Line of Sight and extra damage when on a hill.
It is still damage modifiers vs hitpoints.

You can't, like in Total War, send in cavalry against infantry and watch the infantry get knocked over, trampled and annihilated.

In AoE you can happily charge your cavalry into forward facing spearmen.
Try that in Total War and watch your cavalry get destroyed within seconds.

AoE is about numbers. He who has most units with higher percentages of higher tier units wins.

Archer

Honorary Master
It is still damage modifiers vs hitpoints.

You can't, like in Total War, send in cavalry against infantry and watch the infantry get knocked over, trampled and annihilated.

In AoE you can happily charge your cavalry into forward facing spearmen.
Try that in Total War and watch your cavalry get destroyed within seconds.

AoE is about numbers. He who has most units with higher percentages of higher tier units wins.
Yes this
Or you can be smart and get your cavalry to flank spearmen, and as long as they can charge all the way through cavalry comes out unscathed. I think in AoE4 you're supposed to do the same, so you get the flanking and charge bonus, but then manually disengage them after a few seconds. Just feels bad to me. I'd rather spam spearmen and heavy infantry, much less micro (I'm a lazy bugger)

theratman

Honorary Master
Getting a bit gatvol of these siege missions :p, am currently on the 2nd battle of Lincoln.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Can't play this game with players.

It's 4v4 meaning we are a team. Well doesn't feel like it when my allies wall me off and then I face 3 enemies attacking me and they just ignore don't help at all. I get killed and they play on just to delay their defeat. Super toxic game play.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
In the Norman campaign, about the first or second level, they explicitly state that archers have an advantage when placed on a hill.
Maybe line of sight but there's no bonus damage when attacking from a higher elevation.

theratman

Honorary Master
Finished the French campaign, enjoyed it more than the Norman one. Looking forward to the Mongols next.

StoneCold

Expert Member
Can't play this game with players.

It's 4v4 meaning we are a team. Well doesn't feel like it when my allies wall me off and then I face 3 enemies attacking me and they just ignore don't help at all. I get killed and they play on just to delay their defeat. Super toxic game play.

Damn man, think we should hook up and play a few. Haven't played a lot of mp, but willing to work as a team if you're up for it :)

So how does AOE 4 compare against AOE 3 (where most of my hours went) just in terms of overall gameplay.

s0lar

Expert Member
Man what I would give to have the time to play Civ again. :crying:

Edit: AoE..

cavedog

Honorary Master
The RUS bug is being exploited in each game now it's impossible to play against people in quick match...

So annoying because they acknowledged it but not fixed yet.