Air France flight loses an engine over the Atlantic

eg2505

Honorary Master
Same thing happened to us going to new zealand....on a new zealand airline - also bang and a shudder (fan went through the engine) and then the captain came on and said dont worry we dumping fuel and landing....landed with ALOT of fire engines and ambulances waiting for us.

We had just taken off and levelled out when it happened.
TLDR: this is what scares me about twin engine planes, things like this can happen and then you screwed in a bad way....

yes they can fly perfectly well and all that, but what if the increased strain on the one remaining engine causes it to fail,
ie a tiny oil pipe that normally never gets hot enough to fail burst, and then you have a fire.... and a dead engine....
how many A380 had suspect oil pipes last time that A380 nearly crashed?

its was a big news story back then, but it can happen again very easily
I mean a bolt with a flaw in manufacturing could make it a bit short, normally its never an issue, but when something unusual happens and the engine experiences much more strain than normal and then something breaks.....

I mean if you check that story about that 777 that crashed in heathrow, due to of all things a oil heater getting blocked,
nobody could understand how it happened, that a component DESIGNED to compensate for EXACTLY this caused a crash....

I mean ditching at night in a rolling ocean isnt a joke, yes its unlikely, but people still win the lotto....

yes its not gonna happen easily and 1000 things have to go wrong, but it can still happen.
and when it does that is when it gets interesting.

not a nervous flyer at all, really enjoy flying, but sometimes just sometimes the mind wanders,

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
TLDR: this is what scares me about twin engine planes, things like this can happen and then you screwed in a bad way....

yes they can fly perfectly well and all that, but what if the increased strain on the one remaining engine causes it to fail,
As mentioned before....ETOPS requirements is that the airliner needs to be able to fly for whatever the required amount of minutes that the ETOPS certification is for on that model on one engine operating at NORMAL operating speed. No increased strain.

You must be a flight attendant worst nightmare!

"Excuse me ..... are you sure the oil pipe is OK?"
"Yes Sir"
"OK, how about the fan blades? When last were they checked for micro cracks or defects?"
"Sir, the plane had a full inspection about 4 months ago"
"Sure Sure .... did you check that the phalange is OK?"
"Sir....the plane does not have a phalange"
"OH MY GOD this plane does not even have a phalange!!!! LET ME OFF RIGHT NOW!!!"

[video=youtube;DrwVB4vMx-Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrwVB4vMx-Q[/video]

Last edited:

ForceFate

Honorary Master

ie a tiny oil pipe that normally never gets hot enough to fail burst, and then you have a fire.... and a dead engine....
how many A380 had suspect oil pipes last time that A380 nearly crashed?

its was a big news story back then, but it can happen again very easily
I mean a bolt with a flaw in manufacturing could make it a bit short, normally its never an issue, but when something unusual happens and the engine experiences much more strain than normal and then something breaks.....

I mean if you check that story about that 777 that crashed in heathrow, due to of all things a oil heater getting blocked,
nobody could understand how it happened, that a component DESIGNED to compensate for EXACTLY this caused a crash....

I mean ditching at night in a rolling ocean isnt a joke, yes its unlikely, but people still win the lotto....

yes its not gonna happen easily and 1000 things have to go wrong, but it can still happen.
and when it does that is when it gets interesting.

not a nervous flyer at all, really enjoy flying, but sometimes just sometimes the mind wanders,
In short, you're terrified of taking to the skies. :D

Just joking mate.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
From French air-crash investigation authority (BEA) via PPRune.org and translate.google.co.uk:

The use of the data contained in the parameter recorder (FDR) was used to determine the place where the damage occurred during the cruise to the Airbus A380 engine number 4 and to delimit a search area for the detached.

It is a desert[ed] area, covered with ice, located about 150 kilometers south-east of the town of Paamiut, located on the west coast.

At the request of the Danish Accident Investigation Office, a helicopter from the Danish airline Air Greenland flew yesterday and spotted parts from the engine.

The BEA is in contact with its Danish counterpart to organize the recovery of these elements.

Work on the analysis of the data contained in the flight recorders will continue at the BEA laboratory. The engine computers will also be analyzed at the manufacturer of these equipment in the United States.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Damaged A380 to be flown to France to investigate engine blast

Making the roughly 2,300 nautical mile (4,260 km) trip will need a switch in engines to help the mammoth jet fly smoothly.

First, the rump of the broken engine will be taken off the wing and flown to Wales, where manufacturer General Electric can examine it at its Cardiff repair workshop, the people said.

Then a spare engine will be mounted on the right wing in the same outer position as the damaged one. But this will only be used to balance the weight during flight and that engine will not be operable.

GP7200 engines used on Air France A380s are made by Engine Alliance, co-owned by GE and Pratt & Whitney...............
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...nce-to-investigate-engine-blast-idUSKBN1CF2RA

eg2505

Honorary Master
As mentioned before....ETOPS requirements is that the airliner needs to be able to fly for whatever the required amount of minutes that the ETOPS certification is for on that model on one engine operating at NORMAL operating speed. No increased strain.

You must be a flight attendant worst nightmare!

"Excuse me ..... are you sure the oil pipe is OK?"
"Yes Sir"
"OK, how about the fan blades? When last were they checked for micro cracks or defects?"
"Sir, the plane had a full inspection about 4 months ago"
"Sure Sure .... did you check that the phalange is OK?"
"Sir....the plane does not have a phalange"
"OH MY GOD this plane does not even have a phalange!!!! LET ME OFF RIGHT NOW!!!"
in actual fact, Im not a bother at all, as long as I get to sit in emergency exit row.....
Im quite happy really, not nervous and complaining at all,

really enjoy flying, find it quite relaxing in cruise,
but landing and take offs worry me sometimes, as 90% or crashes happen there,

yes the mind wanders, but it wanders when im going in a fast car just as much,

ForceFate

Honorary Master
in actual fact, Im not a bother at all, as long as I get to sit in emergency exit row.....

OT: Have you ever played contact sport?

Nothing personal.

Last edited:

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender

Was just playing with you :)

Take off and landing might be where things can go wrong, but damn....it is also the most thrilling :)

The_Assimilator

Executive Member
Was just playing with you :)

Take off and landing might be where things can go wrong, but damn....it is also the most thrilling :)
It's always amused my that the flying part is (relatively) easy, it's the leaving the ground and getting back onto it that's complicated.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Last edited: