Air Mobile vs other SA mobile networks - Data price showdown

McT

The Humble Scot!
The profit motive of Vodacom and MTN becomes apparent when you see their ridiculous prices in comparison to other players.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
When they were Afrihost, data and voice were valid for 365 days. "Upgrade" to AirMobile with the free 1Gb carrot and they wack you with the 60 day stick.

@AfriNatic
COME ON AFRIHOST!!!! let's see what your reply is.

Joseph matane

This days if you are prepaid subscriber is better to buy prepaid promotion bundles, rather than standard bundles. Telkom has mo'nice which offer great discounts on voice bundles and data bundles, Vodacom has just4you which offer great discounts, MTN has double your bundle which offer great discounts, we no longer buy standard bundles anymore.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
When they were Afrihost, data and voice were valid for 365 days. "Upgrade" to AirMobile with the free 1Gb carrot and they wack you with the 60 day stick.

@AfriNatic
COME ON AFRIHOST!!!! let's see what your reply is.
Replied to your comment on the article as well :)

These are different packages, so any client on the old prepaid deal can decide if they want this much cheaper per GB rate, or the longer expiry. There is no obligation to change packages.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
This days if you are prepaid subscriber is better to buy prepaid promotion bundles, rather than standard bundles. Telkom has mo'nice which offer great discounts on voice bundles and data bundles, Vodacom has just4you which offer great discounts, MTN has double your bundle which offer great discounts, we no longer buy standard bundles anymore.
These are definitely great offers if you know where to find them, or in some cases are lucky enough to be eligible for them.

We always try to keep our offers simple and make them for everyone. Navigating the prepaid data landscape has become pretty difficult, becuase there are so many different plans, tiers, options, terms, etc.

We're just trying to make it easy for everyone.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
These are different packages, so any client on the old prepaid deal can decide if they want this much cheaper per GB rate, or the longer expiry. There is no obligation to change packages.
I still think you should keep the 365day expiry option for existing and new clients.

Gudnews

I can't go back to these normal bundles, Mo nice had opened Pandora's box.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
I still think you should keep the 365day expiry option for existing and new clients.
If you already have that deal, you can stay on it. However, we feel that the Air Mobile is much better value for the average person.

MirageF1

Expert Member
Can one purchase a sim only MTN card,w/out contract/initial top up and if so how much ?( they give them away in UK)

Not too bothered as I'm with another provider as well as Rain, but might try out their 1Gb offer and see what signal and speeds are like where I live ...

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Can one purchase a sim only MTN card,w/out contract/initial top up and if so how much ?( they give them away in UK)

Not too bothered as I'm with another provider as well as Rain, but might try out their 1Gb offer and see what signal and speeds are like where I live ...
Not sure I totally follow. It has to be a regular prepaid sim (not data only) if you are getting a new SIM. If you have an existing contract SIM, you should be able to change APN and use our prepaid data.

I think you can purchase a SIM with no data from MTN stores, it costs a couple of bucks max. You do still need to complete the RICA verification though.