Air purifiers

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Considering getting one for my apartment. After yesterday's cleaning expedition I realised just how much dust there is everywhere.

Something like this.

Do any of you have experience with this stuff?

cguy

Expert Member
It's HEPA, so that's good. Personally, I use RabbitAir filters. Quite powerful and 5 layers of filtering, but more expensive too. We have one in each room.

stroller

Expert Member
Can someone recommend a good ozone generator.
I need this to kill germs and to neutralise odours.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
It's HEPA, so that's good. Personally, I use RabbitAir filters. Quite powerful and 5 layers of filtering, but more expensive too. We have one in each room.
hmm...bit outside my price range.

Don't think I need anything heavy duty - I'm in a fairly remote area.

Would actually love to first buy an air quality meter to check but they're almost half the price of a filter so might as well get one.

Will give it a think and decide tmw...

Can someone recommend a good ozone generator.
I need this to kill germs and to neutralise odours.
I was under the impression that these are now deemed unsafe?

Chumley

Have these made a difference in your home? I have severe allergies and have been considering obtaining one for my home office, where I spend the bulk of my time. Thanks.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Have these made a difference in your home? I have severe allergies and have been considering obtaining one for my home office, where I spend the bulk of my time. Thanks.
Ended up ordering one so will see if it makes a diff.

I see the British Allergy Foundation seems to add a seal of approval on some of them so I'd imagine they do something - depending on the nature of the allergy. Pollen for example a HEPA filter should catch.

Sly21C

Expert Member
Aren't air purifiers introducing chemicals into homes? Why not go natural and buy indoor house plants?

bratwurst

Expert Member
Anyone that can recommend air purifiers where the filters are available locally?

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
Thanks for the advise

I am in the market for a good one for large rooms.
Where did you buy them?

Which RabbitAir one did you get?

cguy

Expert Member
Thanks for the advise

I am in the market for a good one for large rooms.
Where did you buy them?

Which RabbitAir one did you get?
I ordered them from the website the first time round (10+ years ago). Now, from Amazon. I get the MinusA2.

We have 4 of them now.

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
Thanks again.
I am surprised there isn't a local agent.
RabbitAir dont seem to ship internationally.
The Amazon reseller doesn't seem to ship the units to SA but the filters are no problem
I may have to use a package forwarder.
Wantitall ship but it costs a fortune( CLose to R30k). If I use a package forwarder one is looking at about R14k (assuming I haven't messed up the duties)

They are quite pricey but if they help the family with their migraines then they are a bargain.
Being a geek I will go for the one that connects to WiFi

Last question (well I hope its the last)
If you have people that are affected by mould, dust etc. (migraine sufferers) which filters would you use?

BTW - I like to look of these guys. www.molekule.com

Last edited:

Park@82

Honorary Master
Last edited:

sandwitch

Best air purifier I've ever used is this one: https://www.samsung.com/in/air-conditioners/air-purifier-ax40k3020wu/ and it's for 40m² but I wouldn't have a clue how to get one in SA.

Xioami and Winix air purifiers have really, really good reputations so I'd go with one of them.
My Solenco is for a 40m² room and it works nicely but it's basic. Nothing like my Samsung (low power consumption, too) which had smart sensors and worked from my phone. I bought it because the filters were the easiest to get in SA.

cguy

Expert Member
Thanks again.
I am surprised there isn't a local agent.
RabbitAir dont seem to ship internationally.
The Amazon reseller doesn't seem to ship the units to SA but the filters are no problem
I may have to use a package forwarder.
Wantitall ship but it costs a fortune( CLose to R30k). If I use a package forwarder one is looking at about R14k (assuming I haven't messed up the duties)

They are quite pricey but if they help the family with their migraines then they are a bargain.
Being a geek I will go for the one that connects to WiFi

Last question (well I hope its the last)
If you have people that are affected by mould, dust etc. (migraine sufferers) which filters would you use?

BTW - I like to look of these guys. www.molekule.com
I think that as long as you have a HEPA filter you're good -- having 5 filters like a Rabbit air may be overkill, unless you have a serious condition (my wife has serious Asthma). The only other thing to be wary of when considering a purifier is that the suction power is sufficient (so make sure there are a lot of reviews). The suction power can fall off quickly as the filter becomes more blocked (e.g., they may say, you need to replace it every 3 months, but after 1-month the airflow becomes poor due to lack of power).

bratwurst

Expert Member
I have a Xiaomi one https://www.mi.com/in/air2s/ . It's pretty cool as it links to WiFi and I can control it, and also check the temperature and humidity, form anywhere via the app.

Feels like a bit of a waste though. We have very little pollution here in PTA. I don't turn it on often. It does help when I'm cooking stuff in the airfryer though :)

Available locally here
https://mia.africa.com/za/mi-air-purifier-2s
https://www.takealot.com/xiaomi-mi-air-purifier-2s/PLID52587116
I bought 2 of those on Tuesday (Takealot) and had both delivered yesterday.

Where do you get your filters from? I sent mi Afrika a mail but no response yet. If mi doesn't sell them locally I'm thinking of importing 2-3 now already just to have some stock on hand.

The setup was a breeze and it seems to work very well. I've pretty much just left both on auto mode and the fan can't be heard at all. I think they also look very good.

Park@82

Honorary Master

Where do you get your filters from? I sent mi Afrika a mail but no response yet.
Yes Mia Africa brings them in. And yes they do take long to get back to you... I bought a spare from them. Takealot also has some on occasion (out of stock now). Both of them only seems to sell the pink antibacterial version.

dhirennaidoo

I am looking at the Xiaomi Air Purifier 2S, but the slight hassle with availability of filters is driving me toward this guy:
Solenco CF8500

Locally available. Anyone else had any experience with this brand? They are sold at Builders and Hirsch's for around the same price as the Xiaomi, but is missing WiFi

satanboy

Psychonaut seven

Where do you get your filters from? I sent mi Afrika a mail but no response yet. If mi doesn't sell them locally I'm thinking of importing 2-3 now already just to have some stock on hand.

The setup was a breeze and it seems to work very well. I've pretty much just left both on auto mode and the fan can't be heard at all. I think they also look very good.
From takealot page:
- Xiaomi robot vacuum cleaner will back to the charging dock and recharge automatically after finishing cleaning
- When the power is less than 20%, it will recharge to 80% and get on with the unfinished work. 10mm Edge cleaning
- Using the wall sensor, the robot keeps a distance of 10 mm from walls and effectively cleans the edges with the side brush. It is saving the appearance of the device and doesn't damage your design
WTF?