Airbnb crackdown in South Africa - Here is what is happening

spiff

Executive Member
in multi unit complexes the body corporate / directors /home owners association etc are compelled to report contraventions of by-laws etc to the relevant authorities.
whether they do or not is another matter
Ja well my cousin from Germany is visiting and staying at my place
What's it got to with body cooperates

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
So how is this any different from a few years ago when anybody could open a BnB? Only the booking platform has changed.
Theres competition and they actually have to ship up or ship out. So they cry foul.

Random717

Expert Member
Lots of cities have restrictions on Airbnb, ranging from time limitations to owners requiring permits, though I think Japan in the only country doing it nationally.
New York, LA, San Francisco, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Paris all have various restrictions in place.

Swa

Honorary Master
So will the same restrictions be placed on hotels and traditional accommodation? They can feck off. If I want to rent out my place I'll do it how I see fit to whom I see fit.

Lots of cities have restrictions on Airbnb, ranging from time limitations to owners requiring permits, though I think Japan in the only country doing it nationally.
New York, LA, San Francisco, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Paris all have various restrictions in place.
Same places that protested against Uber then and instituted restrictions on it.

Grant

Honorary Master
So where would you suggest would be a good place to invest in CT if one were to use it as an AirBnB ?
i wouldnt do airbnb, there is a lot of work involved continually dealing with different guests, bookings, cancellations - cleaning the apartment, general maintenance, breakages, changing linen etc.

if going into the short term rental market, i would steer towards 3 month leases to corporates - endless ppl being transferred back and forth who need temporary accommodation

just my opinion !

Random717

Expert Member
So will the same restrictions be placed on hotels and traditional accommodation? They can feck off. If I want to rent out my place I'll do it how I see fit to whom I see fit.

Same places that protested against Uber then and instituted restrictions on it.
The restrictions are pretty random. Some are specifically set to protect the hotel industry, while others set limits on how long foreigners can stay in an apartment for, opening it up for locals to stay in it the rest of the time. There are also limits on the amount of income that can be earned, which would reduce property value if Airbnb guests can be charged a heavy premium over foreigners. This would allow more local people to purchase and live in their own apartments etc.
The people most disadvantaged by this are tourists, as prices will be higher. Then it's property owners trying to maximise investment. This gets offset by local people poorer than them getting a chance to rent and own a place in their own cities. Seeing as those people are doing the voting, this will probably become more and more common throughout the world.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
So where would you suggest would be a good place to invest in CT if one were to use it as an AirBnB ?

Milnerton/Table View area. Lots of backpackers in the area as well, no major Hotels service the area, its on the Myciti bus route and an easy Uber ride in the City.
Basically the best locations are where there are no Hotels servicing the area.
The City bowl and surrounding coastal areas are too full of restricions and rules by fuddy duddy tennants associations to bother with.

noxibox

Honorary Master
There need to be restrictions to make sure property remains accessible to the people that actually live in the city.

Currantly

Expert Member
So hotels can sell accommodation to anyone, at any time, for any length of time, at any price...but they want to restrict AB&B? Hhhhmmmm.... (yes, I know that hotels have a bunch of stuff they have to comply with, but still...)