Airbnb crackdown in South Africa - Here is what is happening

Grant

Honorary Master
So hotels can sell accommodation to anyone, at any time, for any length of time, at any price...but they want to restrict AB&B? Hhhhmmmm.... (yes, I know that hotels have a bunch of stuff they have to comply with, but still...)
I frequently speak to trustees and chairmen of buildings in atlantic seaboard area - and just had a long discussion with the chairman of a building on beach rd in sea point - this move on the part of fedhasa through tourism dept is not being particularly well received.
whilst the majority are in favour of regulation to some degree, there is general consensus bureaucratic overreach is being attempted in trying to dictate maximum tariffs etc. this flies in the face of free enterprise and comes perilously close to anti-competitive behavior on the part of fedhasa.

Swa

Honorary Master
So hotels can sell accommodation to anyone, at any time, for any length of time, at any price...but they want to restrict AB&B? Hhhhmmmm.... (yes, I know that hotels have a bunch of stuff they have to comply with, but still...)
Off course. Just like Uber if there's a way to be more competitive they want that way closed. It's not to have a level playing field as the playing field is already level. They want more restrictions that will enable them to artificially be able to compete which is an absurd communist idea.

In fact most hotel rooms are probably empty for most of the time so even if the rules applied universally it wouldn't affect them. So they'd claim a level playing field but really it isn't.

BeerIsNotGood...

Executive Member
Off course. Just like Uber if there's a way to be more competitive they want that way closed. It's not to have a level playing field as the playing field is already level. They want more restrictions that will enable them to artificially be able to compete which is an absurd communist idea.

In fact most hotel rooms are probably empty for most of the time so even if the rules applied universally it wouldn't affect them. So they'd claim a level playing field but really it isn't.
Protectionism via regulation :sick: