Airport departure taxes - crazy quote.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Hi Guys, wanting to book a trip to Mauritius through an agency. They came back with a quote, but they state the airport tax is R4350 pp. That seems a bit crazy to me. Flying out of OR Tambo.

Any ideas if this is correct?

Thanks

MirageF1

Executive Member
Geesus if it is I won't ever be flying out on holiday again... seems crazy or else the travel agent is looking to rip you off.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Try quote a similar flight online and see what the difference is if any.

Drifter

Honorary Master
That is the confusing part. They quote a price including air tickets, and list the taxes separately, if I get quotes direct from Air Mauritius it's about R8700 p/p return. They dont give a breakdown of what makes up that price.

Asgard85

This is actually a great question because it doesn't seem like it is reported consistently. Perhaps different airlines have different policies around what they consider a tax and what is considered fare (I'm thinking the fuel surcharge may be moved to taxes specifically in order to manage the commissions payable to travel agents on base fares).

I just did a quick search on travelstart:
Air Mauritius non-stop JNB-MRU:
Total ticket price: R8,309
Fare: R3,860
Taxes: R4,449

The same search on airmauritius.com (you can actually get a breakdown of the ticket price there by checking the "Booking details" tab on the right):
Air Mauritius non-stop JNB-MRU:
Total ticket price: R8,9,115
Fare: R7,570.07
Taxes: R1,544.94

Maybe there are some folks in the industry who can help.

In any case, does it make much of a difference to you? If you have travel insurance against the flights I'd imagine it would cover the full fare?

Milano

Honorary Master
Yeah I have noticed that before as well. I was like shem poor airline. Never considered the implications for travel insurance.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Airport taxes are actually quite heavy. Why not look at routing through Durban? Durban flies direct to Mauritius and may have cheaper taxes. JNB-DBN returns are cheap depending on time.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Airport taxes are actually quite heavy. Why not look at routing through Durban? Durban flies direct to Mauritius and may have cheaper taxes. JNB-DBN returns are cheap depending on time.
It's about R800 more p/p flying from DBN, them I still have factor in the cost of JNB to DUR.

garp

Executive Member
They are including the airline fuel surcharge under "taxes". Airlines calculate a base rate for all the non-variable costs on a trip and then separate out the fuel cost as a "surcharge" (which is often lumped together with the taxes on flight quotes). The reason they separate the fuel cost is to accommodate fluctuating fuel prices, and maintain all other non-fuel services as a separate cost point.

absynth

Expert Member
Can't give reasons on taxes,but flights to Mauritius has always been expensive.

Also wonder if the prices went up due to the new Airport that was built?That's just a thought from my side though.

Milano

Honorary Master
They are including the airline fuel surcharge under "taxes". Airlines calculate a base rate for all the non-variable costs on a trip and then separate out the fuel cost as a "surcharge" (which is often lumped together with the taxes on flight quotes). The reason they separate the fuel cost is to accommodate fluctuating fuel prices, and maintain all other non-fuel services as a separate cost point.
/ ponders whether we can all do that

1 x ice-cream 5c
Taxes R9.95
Total R10.00

Drifter

Honorary Master
Can't give reasons on taxes,but flights to Mauritius has always been expensive.

Also wonder if the prices went up due to the new Airport that was built?That's just a thought from my side though.
I just rechecked my booking. If I stay one night longer, accommodation is R1500 more, but I save nearly R4K on the airfare.

absynth

Expert Member
I just rechecked my booking. If I stay one night longer, accommodation is R1500 more, but I save nearly R4K on the airfare.
Interesting, might it have to do then with popular vs less popular flight dates :unsure:

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
Can confirm what @garp said. It is in fact the fuel surcharge which is shown on the ticket in the taxes section.

Airport taxes are regulated and will always be the same on the same routes for all passenger, however airlines have started levying the fuel surcharge in the airport tax field (identifier YQ)

This is a fudging of the numbers for various reasons. I can't recall the exact reasons, but I do recall there was an impact on the amount of commission paid as commission was only paid on "fare" and there was an impact on the amount paid to partner airlines as the calculation would be based on percentage of total distance travelled as a portion of "fare". There was also something on refunds and penalties, as airport taxes are refundable and penalties are calculated on "fare". But essentially it is a fudging of the numbers tool.

Regulations posted here: https://www.sars.gov.za/TaxTypes/APT/Pages/default.aspx

Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) has a nice explanation here: (note the R238.07 is only the passenger service charge and does not include all the other taxes and charges mentioned)

Flysafair also explains it well: https://flysafair.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205749792-Explaining-Taxes-Fees

• The Fare - This is the amount of money that we as the airline actually receive to operate the flight that you will be boarding.
  • Passenger Service Charge - This is a charge levied by the Airports Company which is for the use of the airport facilities for boarding etc.
  • Value Added Tax (VAT) - This is the standard 14.5% statutory value added tax that has to be added to non-exempt products and services sold in South Africa
  • Passenger Security Charge - This is another charge levied by the Airport Company for the security scans and checks that passengers must go through in order to pass through the airport.
  • CAA Charge (1 April 2015) - This is a fee levied by the Civil Aviation Authority for the role that they play in overseeing the safety and compliance of all airlines.
  • UM for George and ELS - the George and East London Airports have separate specific fees that they levy for flights operating through those airports.

Last edited:

Whatzmyname

I work in Aviation. Every airport has different tax. Mauritius does not charge airport tax though (unless it has changed and I am not aware of it)....You would only have to pay South Africa departure tax and it is most definitely not near the amount you were quoted. You seem to have a greedy agent on your hands. I dont understand why people use agents anyways...it is super easy to book direct online and not pay agent fees as well. Skyscanner is pretty good with comparing flight and hotel deals. https://www.skyscanner.net/