Airport slow to negotiate - iMac G5/Netgear DG834PN

bernardlinde

Hope there is some Mac people who can help with this problem.

I have a wireless home network (Netgear DG834PN, DSL 4MBit) and an iMac G5 2.0GHz connected to it wirelessly, a Windows XP computer connected via Ethernet and another Windows XP laptop connected to the laptop over wireless. Also have AirTunes for playing music wirelessly to speakers in the living room.

My Mac is running OS X Leopard 10.5.5.

In the last couple of wees (not 100% sure when it started), I noticed that when I access the internet from my Mac, pages take quite a long time to open in the browser (Safari and Firefox). It seems that the negotiating phase between the Mac and the Router is quite slow. Then suddenly, the pages start loading. It doesn't really matter which sites I visit. Even mybroadband now took about 30 seconds to start loading. Sending e-mail also gives the same problem with the program waiting quite a long time, and then the e-mail is suddenly sent at normal speed.

The problem is NOT present on the XP computers, even though one of them is also connected via wireless.

It's also not a browser problem - if I connect to the internet through USB with my cell phone, everything happens instantly. For my normal DSL traffic, I have the dsl-cache.saix.net proxy activated.

I have restarted, repaired permissions, upgraded the router (Firmware V1.03.39), rebooted the router and no difference.

Something that is not affected is "normal" network traffic like VNC and streaming music to the AirTunes base station. It is just internet-based traffic.

ANY IDEAS??

Last edited:

Sputnik

bypass the proxy.

in os x, each network (airport, ethernet etc) connection lets you specify if you would like to use a proxy server.

if you are connecting a usb telephone you a also bypassing your router, isp and proxy.

try configuring a new location to test.
bypass the proxy
empty your browser cache
possibly reset safari

StbA

Empty your browser cache and then start problem finding by turning each device off that may affect the internet.

Last edited:

bernardlinde

Solution to the problem

Seems as if the solution to this problem was in typing in the DNS addresses that was initially supplied by my ISP. I think that with the router upgrading, it automatically defaulted to GET DNS ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY FROM ISP.

After I manually typed in the DNS addresses, everything is superfast now.

Does not really explain why the Mac was more affected than the Windows computers, but who cares - it works now.