Alcohol ban cost South Africa 117,000 jobs and billions in tax revenue

Jabulani22

Expert Member
Rip to those jobs , they arent coming back anytime soon.
Why was this allowed ? Not even 1k deaths but yet our government has killed so many jobs and by extension people with their moronic attempt at defeating the flu's younger more emo cousin.

CeeBee

Expert Member
thanks gogo Zuma and Mr Patel.... despite all the job losses, now we also have to contend with crazy prices as well. I popped into a local alkie shop yesterday, to see what its like, took one look at the prices, compared to what used to be, and ran out in disgust. of course supply/demand dictating wicked overpricing that they can get away with at the moment.
i'm hoping that once the big initial demand has come down, that normal economic market 'rules' and competition will come back to bring prices down again.
I haven't needed to go liquor store to topup yet... still OK though.... went to PnP yesterday, thought I'd pop in to PnP liquor shop, for a bottle wine, or some extra beers, still have a case at home.
not even 16h30 the guard at the door closes the door, refuses more people to enter... so I just gave him FU then, and left. can try again next week, no rush

Nemoneiros

Expert Member

pedruid

Expert Member
thanks gogo Zuma and Mr Patel.... despite all the job losses, now we also have to contend with crazy prices as well. I popped into a local alkie shop yesterday, to see what its like, took one look at the prices, compared to what used to be, and ran out in disgust. of course supply/demand dictating wicked overpricing that they can get away with at the moment.
i'm hoping that once the big initial demand has come down, that normal economic market 'rules' and competition will come back to bring prices down again.
I haven't needed to go liquor store to topup yet... still OK though.... went to PnP yesterday, thought I'd pop in to PnP liquor shop, for a bottle wine, or some extra beers, still have a case at home.
not even 16h30 the guard at the door closes the door, refuses more people to enter... so I just gave him FU then, and left. can try again next week, no rush
I agree, I went into my local Prestons in PE and bought my usual Robertson’s smooth red, didn’t check the price and got a hell of a shock at the checkout. R39,95/L as opposed to about R28 befor lockdown. Checked the label and found it was produced in January 2020.

Supervan II

Expert Member
I agree, I went into my local Prestons in PE and bought my usual Robertson’s smooth red, didn’t check the price and got a hell of a shock at the checkout. R39,95/L as opposed to about R28 befor lockdown. Checked the label and found it was produced in January 2020.
Which one, if I may be so bold?

Forum Reader

Rip to those jobs , they arent coming back anytime soon.
Why was this allowed ? Not even 1k deaths but yet our government has killed so many jobs and by extension people with their moronic attempt at defeating the flu's younger more emo cousin.
If the deaths were 100 or 100000 instead of 1000, how would your stance change?

Forum Reader

It wouldnt change at all , individual health choices and risk should be left to each person .
There was no need to sacrifice the economy of any country for the meager amount (% wise)of deaths caused by covid (hype) ,
You do know if the numbers change then the % changes?

vigras rojara

Expert Member
It wouldnt change at all , individual health choices and risk should be left to each person .
There was no need to sacrifice the economy of any country for the meager amount (% wise)of deaths caused by covid (hype) ,
I think a lot of the businesses that failed suffered from co-morbidities.

Would have been silly to risk lives to save failing businesses.

Jabulani22

Expert Member
There are less than 60 million people in South Africa. Do you know what is a billion?
Sigh , worldwide .....world ......wide.
Locally it would have been less deadly to just keep everything open , hasnt been one hospital flooded by cases.