Alcohol ban cost South Africa 117,000 jobs and billions in tax revenue

Jabulani22

Executive Member
I think a lot of the businesses that failed suffered from co-morbidities.

Would have been silly to risk lives to save failing businesses.
Business dont suffer from comorbidities , you however suffer from not being able to effectively bring your digs to each thread.

blah99

Expert Member
And yet again the Stooges will run to vote for the ANC election time. I will sit on the side watching how people destroy their own lives LAUGHING at them.

Asgard85

Stark evidence that the ANC will sacrifice any and all at the altar of ideology.
To hell with the outcome, as long as we stick to our guns, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that it was ill-conceived. Never admit error, never surrender.

LetsDance

I think that figure is a potential job loss - the only reason they lifted the ban. Obviously Zuma can relate to alcohol. That figure toy-toying on the street obviously frightens her. Now take tobacco, not so many involved, Zuma's total indifference to smokers withdrawal since she cannot relate to it (unlike Dop, she can relate fully to the withdrawal of that), not so many toy-toying compared to the alcohol industry and it is her pet hate project. Besides it is strongly rumoured she gets a kickback out of the ban. A lot of smokers enjoy their habit, they do not want to be enabled to quit, by banning it. Their rights are being trampled on. I hope all 11 million smokers do a self-ban on alcohol just out of spite.

Last edited:

borro

Expert Member
Some new Ebola in the Congo. Maybe we should get that one here?

vigras rojara

Expert Member
never heard anyone diagnose a business with a disease , must be your JDS again.
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
Also thanks brother.
No but I'm serious. With Covid deaths it's all about underlying conditions but when people go on about businesses failing nobody questions whether the businesses would have failed anyway
It's always about the lockdown.

Cray

Honorary Master
No but I'm serious. With Covid deaths it's all about underlying conditions but when people go on about businesses failing nobody questions whether the businesses would have failed anyway
It's hard to judge but a company on knife-edge that may or may not carry on is sure as hell going to be sunk by an inability to trade for two months...

The true test would be to look at business failures in the two months this time last year and then compare to these two months this year.

Jabulani22

Executive Member
So you are saying that the 220 year old tobacco shop which closed was going to close anyway ?
Even with its captive audience ?
Closer to the thread topic , you are saying all these jobs in the title were going to be lost anyway ? Even with a captive audience ?
You are kidding right ?

vigras rojara

Expert Member
So you are saying that the 220 year old tobacco shop which closed was going to close anyway ?
Even with its captive audience ?
Closer to the thread topic , you are saying all these jobs in the title were going to be lost anyway ? Even with a captive audience ?
You are kidding right ?
No I'm not saying they would all have been lost, just that some probably would have.

People seem to forget that businesses fail all the time, and gnash their teeth about the lockdown. Obviously the lockdown made things worse though.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
And yet again the Stooges will run to vote for the ANC election time. I will sit on the side watching how people destroy their own lives LAUGHING at them.
Good, you've made it work since '94 :thumbsup:

diesel

Expert Member
create a disaster so ANC officials can circumvent normal procurement procedures and supply the state with PPE and products at ridiculous pricing. Lots of ANC officials going to be rich after this so why should they care.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
create a disaster so ANC officials can circumvent normal procurement procedures and supply the state with PPE and products at ridiculous pricing. Lots of ANC officials going to be rich after this so why should they care.
So black economic empowerment works :unsure:

GoofySmurf

Expert Member
All in the name of destroying the white economy, this is the goal of Radical Economic transformation.

This is planned and wasnt a mistake ...