Alcohol ban lifted and lockdown restrictions relaxed as second COVID-19 wave passed

heartbroken

Expert Member
I'm trying to decide if we will be into winter already as that changes what I will want to drink. Summer I tend to go more light beer + gin/whiskey. Winter I like heavier ales, stouts, porters + red wine, brandy, whiskey. Guess I can just get a few of each as the wine/spirits won't expire soon.
Same, I only drink red wine in winter next to the fireplace, but then I drink a lot! Difficult choice. Limited spending power so have to make it count

Reactions: B-1

heartbroken

Expert Member
For sure this is true for me. Pre-2020, I used to have a few beers at the bar at least once per week. We also used to dine out once per week for date night. Since the lockdown started March, I've been to a bar once and we ate out maybe 4 times. Consumption at home is at an all time high though and I've never had this much stock on hand in my life.

The_MAC

Executive Member

krycor

Honorary Master
That dude has personal freedom of choice issues. Issues with alcohol, issues with cigarettes. No issues with controlling people’s choices by force or excessive regulation though.

Solutions to his type of mindset is to move elsewhere, to where there are a lot more restrictions, regulations, controls and punishments handed out for things, not trying to argue for this to be the norm.

So no.. I disagree entirely.

Note: I don’t advocate a ban.. that’s likely the worse thing but ok for brief periods currently when really needed. I do however think alcohol in SA has a regulatory & culture problem which is part legislation related.

Freedom & Human rights are interesting concepts in in theory but in practice leaves holes which SA constitution keeps plugging at.

If you spot this trend, you will come to the same conclusion which is when you infringe on another’s rights and it becomes rampant, the government steps in to correct it.

The tobacco industry must be having the last laugh(when the screws turned against them they were like.. but what about them.. gov went, sure we will get there) while the alcohol industry starts preparing for what lays ahead.

Ps. I see BusinessTech has picked up on it too and DA is also now pushing to put into motion the laws which need to signed in.. ie.

I do wonder why it’s taken so long though, many have speculated over the years that the ownership & investor mix of SAB being local years back(incl a BEE share deal.. remind you of telecoms and pricing?) was partially the reason.. but who knows.

Last edited:

krycor

Honorary Master
So communist now means capitalist no?

Afraid to call them what they really are, power hungry, corrupt, cowardly, inept capitalists?

It is the government's fault. Every time they ban alcohol it will continue to be entirely their fault. It never becomes anyone else's fault they're too lazy or stupid to consider sensible measures.

One doesn't have to be a drinker to recognise the foolishness of the alcohol ban.

Disagree.. go back and look at the alcohol industry spokespeople and restaurant association even the alcohol reseller interviews., they all claim they want to work with government to keep sales open. YouTube is an awesome tool vs accountability.. it sure showed Trumps narcissism and left followers looking like idiots.

Then mid year just before full sales open they even claimed they had better ways to “control” consumers negating the need for a ban and admitted consumer education has proven to be a failure.

We’ve have a 2nd complete ban on alcohol which has been lifted.. is the industry bringing in any counter measures which directly limit alcohol trauma? No? So what does government need to do to reduce it when trauma wards are full and health system needs relief with a end of month phoza Friday approaching? Another ban? Even kids learn faster than this. And claiming “curfew” prevents it is hilarious btw as curfew doesn’t magically change alcohol trauma to general trauma. People drink earlier.

Yes I get that counter measures will hurt sales but a full ban as everyone in the industry claims is worse.. so why not preempt gov and act like a responsible ethical business instead of an abusive one.

krycor

Honorary Master
Bheki Cele, is that you?

Nope.. play games(which has a pay to play cost) with game balance PvP abuse issues. If abuse is large the game staff correction is way worse than the play base is active in suggesting changes to rebalance.

Similarly the theme in life & business lately is sustainability for all stakeholders, not just the investor. It’s actually a coined term, ie stakeholder capitalism which looks and the full impact and tried to be more mutually beneficial with a better evaluation of all impact from production, consumption of service/product, to recycling back.

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
  • The sale of alcohol at licensed premises for on-site consumption is permitted throughout the week from 10:00 to 22:00.
Wine tasting at wineries is allowed 7 days a week?

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Million dollar question. When they ban it, it's normally immediate.
That's one thing, I still couldn't find any beer yesterday as SAB is working overtime to restock liquor stores. I had to settle for some obscure brand from Darling Brewery to cure my beer craving. I will pop in again later to check.

Dan C

Honorary Master
That's one thing, I still couldn't find any beer yesterday as SAB is working overtime to restock liquor stores. I had to settle for some obscure brand from Darling Brewery to cure my beer craving. I will pop in again later to check.
Huh ?

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
My local Tops has absolutely no stock of beer, except Just Beer <- this is a brand of beer

Today is Friday. You can't buy any beer, even if it was in stock!? At least SAB can do deliveries over the weekend...

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Today is Friday. You can't buy any beer, even if it was in stock!? At least SAB can do deliveries over the weekend...
I've got a 6x500ml Grolsch. It's going to have to last me until tonight because my supplier is out of stock