Alcohol ban lifted and lockdown restrictions relaxed as second COVID-19 wave passed

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Last edited:

dualmeister

Honorary Master

Budza

Executive Member
The lockdown disrupted bottle returns, and has affected supplies of some brands:

Haha, I've got a few crates in the garage. Local stores don't accept more returned crates than I buy.

Every once in a while, I'll 'convenience' buy without having empties to return, so have been building up a surplus :(

Not sure why they wouldn't accept a few extra crates if I'm still buying there? I need to take my business elsewhere...

krycor

Honorary Master

WC HOSPITALS SEE SIGNIFICANT SPIKE IN TRAUMA CASES AFTER BOOZE SALES BAN LIFTED

Provincial Head of Health, Dr Keith Cloete, said that despite a drop in the number of COVID-19 cases being recorded, there was still significant pressure on the health system.

CAPE TOWN - There's been a huge spike in trauma cases presenting at Western Cape hospitals.

A week before advanced level 3 lockdown rules were relaxed, officials recorded an average of 41 trauma cases per day.

This shot up to about 77 daily cases for the week after a ban on the sale of liquor was lifted.

Authorities said that data was obtained from Tygerberg, Groote Schuur hospitals, George Regional Hospital, Mitchells Plain District Hospital and the Heideveld Emergency Centre.

Provincial Head of Health, Dr Keith Cloete, said that despite a drop in the number of COVID-19 cases being recorded, there was still significant pressure on the health system.

"When we lifted [the alcohol sales ban], one week later the maximum cases shot up 100%, so it's 155 on the weekend past, and that is on Sunday the 7th. So, there's been a significant increase in trauma one week within the lifting of the alcohol restrictions."

krycor

Honorary Master
I’ll say it again.. if all restaurants did was diligently check and mark on a system who drank along with not allowing people to drive after etc this would not be a problem.

Guess we heading to another ban as numbers or corona picks up because all these associations would rather have gov ban it than impose limits themselves.

You’d still have social gathering places limited.. but restaurants as example would not be banned.

daveza

Honorary Master

CAPE TOWN - There's been a huge spike in trauma cases presenting at Western Cape hospitals.

A week before advanced level 3 lockdown rules were relaxed, officials recorded an average of 41 trauma cases per day.

This shot up to about 77 daily cases for the week after a ban on the sale of liquor was lifted.

Authorities said that data was obtained from Tygerberg, Groote Schuur hospitals, George Regional Hospital, Mitchells Plain District Hospital and the Heideveld Emergency Centre.

"When we lifted [the alcohol sales ban], one week later the maximum cases shot up 100%, so it's 155 on the weekend past, and that is on Sunday the 7th. So, there's been a significant increase in trauma one week within the lifting of the alcohol restrictions."

Isn't that what trauma units are for - trauma ?

Trauma units are not pandemic isolation units.

dualmeister

Honorary Master

So things are pretty much back to normal as they were before the lockdown.

I’ll say it again.. if all restaurants did was diligently check and mark on a system who drank along with not allowing people to drive after etc this would not be a problem.

Guess we heading to another ban as numbers or corona picks up because all these associations would rather have gov ban it than impose limits themselves.

You’d still have social gathering places limited.. but restaurants as example would not be banned.

You do know trauma units are there to deal with ...you guessed it, trauma.

Hemps

Honorary Master
These trauma cases, I'm assuming its stabbings and or gun related, do the police, laughing as I type this, not investigate further when these trauma cases arrive at any hospital?

Do Dr's or nurses not call the police if someone comes in with a stabbing or gunshot wound?