Alcohol ban over Easter holidays is non-debatable, says top scientist

Currantly

Expert Member
Cape Town – The UKZN Acting Deputy Vice-Chancellor of Research and Innovation, Professor Mosa Moshabela, says it is irresponsible for the liquor industry to expect the government not to place restrictions on alcohol over the Easter holidays.

Liquor industry stakeholders have warned that an outright ban would not be sustainable for the sector. It is estimated that the last three alcohol bans led to a loss in sales revenue of R36.3 billion for the alcohol industry.

Liquor Traders Formation convener Lucky Ntimane said another ban on alcohol would mean the end of the tavern sector as we know it.

It’s been reported that recommendations have been made to the National Coronavirus Command Council to restrict alcohol sales, as fears of a third wave of Covid-19 infections increase.

Linky

dualmeister

Honorary Master
They need to stop with the sensational reporting and using "ban". If anything "restricted trading hours" would be more appropriate. They have followed the same playbook for the last year. Numbers rise, limit trading. Numbers rise more, ban it. We not at the second part yet. Hell not even the first one.

WAslayer

Executive Member
So, people won't anyway be stocking up in anticipation of a ban or restricted trading, essentially making restricted trading or a ban over the Easter weekend pretty much moot anyway..

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Someone needs to tell Professor Mosa Moshabela to see how far up his rectal cavity he can stick his head.

A restriction of sales hours will be vaguely acceptable (but largely pointless in my opinion), so long as there is a further restriction on the numbers of people allowed to gather and all that... If they do one, but allow larger gatherings then they're just wasting their bloody time.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
YtYkMlT.gif

Everything the government does is a notification and not a negotiation... Water is wet the sky is blue and water takes the shape of the container it's in....

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
correct, it is non-debatable, there is no argument in the universe that justifies raping freedom for yet another holiday weekend

also ... wtf authority on the topic does an "Acting Deputy Vice-Chancellor of Research and Innovation" have?!?

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
Well that tone really irritates

- Non-debatable -fine scientist he is (twit)
- Irresponsible - How many jobs are ok to let go?

grok

Honorary Master
What's the big deal? If you know it's going to be banned over the weekend, just go buy it now...
Exactly what I did today. Hope my sin tax goes to building those promised infrastructure to counter the effect of my indulgence.

Oh wait, TIA!