Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

wbot

Executive Member
A woman has died and a man has been injured after actor Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on a New Mexico film set.

Police in the US state said Mr Baldwin discharged the weapon during filming for the 19th Century western Rust.

The woman was taken to hospital but died of her injuries. The man, the film's director, was receiving emergency care.

A spokesperson for Mr Baldwin told AP news agency the incident involved the misfiring of a prop gun with blanks.

Cius

Executive Member
These guns need lead in the barrel to make it impossible. They can add the flame effect with CGI later if needed.

Off-The-Chart

Expert Member
it's like how Kevin Nash got stabbed on the set of the Punisher due to, according to him, "the prop manager was busy chatting up some lady"

wait, a gun that misfires even with blanks can still kill you?

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
Suspect it ricocheted off something, I doubt he would be aiming the gun at the directors
What ricocheted?
Maybe something lodged in the weapon?
Seems this is the third such tragedy on film set. The most well known before was Brandon Lee on the set of Crow.

Cius

Executive Member
The blank's as I understand it still have the gunpowder charge of a real bullet but there is no actual bullet on the front, the case instead is just crimped a little closed and the force opens it up discharging the sound, and gunpowder flash of a bullet without the hot lead. Sometimes though a piece of the shell casing breaks off and is fired out the front of the gun. That is what killed Brandon Lee and I assume it is what happened here. If they block the barrel with lead that can't happen anymore, but it also reduces the "flash" effect for filming. These days though a repeatable CGI effect like that should be relatively cheap to add.