Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

ponder

Honorary Master
Is this what Baldwin is referring to? Peculiarities with old Colt single actions.

Those metal plates scare me, especially that close. Saw a guy hit in the face from a ricochet, fortunately he had safety goggles on and it had lost most of its energy. Freak incident though.

Plausible explanation but did he hit the hammer like in this video...

Last edited:

gbyleveldt

What about half-cocks? I know there is a safety built in but I've heard of it wearing down.
Half cock is still the same thing. You can't drop the hammer without manipulating the trigger.

If you pull the hammer back just not far enough for the sear to engage and let it go, it will fire a round...
Of course, but then the hammer won't stay 'cocked' in order for you to have to de-cock it, which is what was implied in his statement. He pulled the hammer back, then practiced the scene and "let the hammer down" after that. It's the "letting the hammer down" part, without using the trigger to break the sear, that I'm calling BS. Once a gun is cocked, there's no way to de-cock it (using your finger) without using the trigger - even if you holding the hammer and letting it down slowly (which is also a stupid practice).

I should actually try and make a video, as I fear my point isn't coming across properly

gbyleveldt

Those metal plates scare me, especially that close. Saw a guy hit in the face from a ricochet, fortunately he had safety goggles on and it had lost most of its energy. Freak incident though.
Happened to me last weekend :D

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Half cock is still the same thing. You can't drop the hammer without manipulating the trigger.

Of course, but then the hammer won't stay 'cocked' in order for you to have to de-cock it, which is what was implied in his statement. He pulled the hammer back, then practiced the scene and "let the hammer down" after that. It's the "letting the hammer down" part, without using the trigger to break the sear, that I'm calling BS. Once a gun is cocked, there's no way to de-cock it (using your finger) without using the trigger - even if you holding the hammer and letting it down slowly (which is also a stupid practice).

I should actually try and make a video, as I fear my point isn't coming across properly

Your point is not coming across because you weren't on the set, are not in possession of the weapon, are not an accredited ballistics examiner in the state of New Mexico, and are just spouting your opinion. We heard you the first time. Repeating yourself doesn't convince anybody...

ponder

Honorary Master
Your point is not coming across because you weren't on the set, are not in possession of the weapon, are not an accredited ballistics examiner in the state of New Mexico, and are just spouting your opinion. We heard you the first time. Repeating yourself doesn't convince anybody...

That applies to all of us at this time.

alanB

Maybe if someone posts a coherent narrative, points to an authoritative source, and makes a clear point. Just calling BS is not a valid argument...
Another wonderful development of our time, is no ordinary person is "allowed" to say anything, unless they can produce a double blind test and an "expert" certificate.

The media will tell you how to think. Don't try do that yourself.

Well, I for one say they can all go stuff themselves.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Another wonderful development of our time, is no ordinary person is "allowed" to say anything, unless they can produce a double blind test and an "expert" certificate.

The media will tell you how to think. Don't try do that yourself.

Well, I for one say they can all go stuff themselves.
It's the corollary of the other wonderful development of our time that every Joe Soap now considers themselves expert on any matter they've watched a 2 min YouTube video on.

Eniigma

Expert Member
His testimony is more than a little "fishy".
Methinks he is not telling "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth".
Truth is if he'd bothered to learn some basic firearm safety and checked the firearm himself, as everyone should do, this could have all been avoided.

If anyone hands another person a firearm the first thing they should do is check it for themselves if it's loaded, no matter what the other person says.

I'm so anal about that point, that when I go into a gun store and ask to look at one in the display and he pulls it out and checks it in front of me, as soon as I take hold I check it again. I don't need to, but it's a habit I don't want to break. Anyone who's been around firearms and other people long enough will all have that one friend who hands you a loaded gun but swears it isn't because they just don't check or forget.

Zero sympathy for this clown.

alanB

It's the corollary of the other wonderful development of our time that every Joe Soap now considers themselves expert on any matter they've watched a 2 min YouTube video on.
Why do you assume they consider themselves to be experts?

Do you think that only people with "expert" certificates should be allowed to speak?

Speedster

Honorary Master

Do you think that only people with "expert" certificates should be allowed to speak?
With authority, yes. Without the necessary knowledge and insight you're just speculating, and actually wasting everyone's time. Why should we have to listen to random Joe's totally unsubstantiated opinions?

alanB

The point I'm trying to make is IMO your approach just amounts to censorship.

I don't think it's up to you, or me to decide who should and should not speak.

If someone doesn't know what they are talking about it becomes evident pretty quickly. You are not forced to believe everything your hear.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member

Depends on the subject matter. Expert certification on how to braai, yes. Expert certification on brain surgery, also yes. A person only being an expert certified on how to braai is going to do your brain surgery, well you decide.

alanB

Common guys this is a public forum.

I ask again, why do assume that everyone who says something is an expert, or should be?

Of course they are not.

But that doesn't mean they have nothing to say that you might learn from or find interesting. If not, you are not FORCED to accept what they say, or believe them, you can in fact think for yourself.

And believe it or not, even certified experts, can be very wrong, stupid and have very different opinions between themselves.

saor

Honorary Master
With authority, yes. Without the necessary knowledge and insight you're just speculating, and actually wasting everyone's time. Why should we have to listen to random Joe's totally unsubstantiated opinions?
Where do you live that you have to listen to unsubstituted opinions?

Speedster

Honorary Master
Common guys this is a public forum.

I ask again, why do assume that everyone who says something is an expert, or should be?

Of course they are not.

But that doesn't mean they have nothing to say that you might learn from or find interesting. If not, you are not FORCED to accept what they say, or believe them, you can in fact think for yourself.

And believe it or not, even certified experts, can be very wrong, stupid and have very different opinions between themselves.
I'm going to assume you're relatively new around here

gbyleveldt

Fair enough. Then again, as you would likely notice from my profile pic, the concept of a firearm - and how it actually works - isn’t completely foreign to me. That being said, I might be spouting that as nonsense as well, no way for anyone to really know hey? Anyway, no need to convince anybody, I was merely trying (admittedly poorly) to explain the mechanics of how Alec‘s statement makes no sense (to me at least).