Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Fair enough. Then again, as you would likely notice from my profile pic, the concept of a firearm - and how it actually works - isn’t completely foreign to me. That being said, I might be spouting that as nonsense as well, no way for anyone to really know hey? Anyway, no need to convince anybody, I was merely trying (admittedly poorly) to explain the mechanics of how Alec‘s statement makes no sense (to me at least).

My apologies. Your profile pic was not visible in any detail on the screen that I was viewing with, and I had no knowledge of your posting history. Sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference with a short cryptic post.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
My apologies. Your profile pic was not visible in any detail on the screen that I was viewing with, and I had no knowledge of your posting history. Sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference with a short cryptic post.

You just decided to get on your high horse anyway

/insert picture of high horse expertery

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
You just decided to get on your high horse anyway

/insert picture of high horse expertery

I posted his interview verbatim from the BBC. The onus for everything that followed was on those who posted different opinions. If they have evidence, then back it up. Otherwise it's just posturing (works both ways unfortunately).

Claymore

Executive Member
Truth is if he'd bothered to learn some basic firearm safety and checked the firearm himself, as everyone should do, this could have all been avoided.

If anyone hands another person a firearm the first thing they should do is check it for themselves if it's loaded, no matter what the other person says.
In normal circumstances, this is a fair point, if you're trained with guns. If you're somewhat familiar with them, you may not be familiar with all though, and not know exactly what to check. Baldwin, however, is an actor, and in an acting role, may not be familiar with firearm safety with any given weapon; that's why they have an armourer on set, after all. (Of course, he may actually be trained, in which case he should know better).

Eniigma

Expert Member
In normal circumstances, this is a fair point, if you're trained with guns. If you're somewhat familiar with them, you may not be familiar with all though, and not know exactly what to check. Baldwin, however, is an actor, and in an acting role, may not be familiar with firearm safety with any given weapon; that's why they have an armourer on set, after all. (Of course, he may actually be trained, in which case he should know better).
That's a cop-out bs reason. If you're going to handle guns as part of your profession it's on you to learn basic safety and handling, that's not the armorers job. The armourer is there to make sure they work and maintain them and look after them etc. I'm by no means trained or work with them or anything, but as a gun owner and even before, knowing the potential behind them, I'm not going to risk my freedom and mental or emotional well-being by blindly trusting someone else. Alec now has to live with that persons death on his conscience for the rest of his life, knowing that if he'd bothered to learn and implement safety it would never have happened.

With the amount of movies he's made involving different firearms, he should be familiar with them. The fact he's an actor is not an excuse.

MrGyre

Executive Member
That's a cop-out bs reason. If you're going to handle guns as part of your profession it's on you to learn basic safety and handling, that's not the armorers job. The armourer is there to make sure they work and maintain them and look after them etc. I'm by no means trained or work with them or anything, but as a gun owner and even before, knowing the potential behind them, I'm not going to risk my freedom and mental or emotional well-being by blindly trusting someone else. Alec now has to live with that persons death on his conscience for the rest of his life, knowing that if he'd bothered to learn and implement safety it would never have happened.

With the amount of movies he's made involving different firearms, he should be familiar with them. The fact he's an actor is not an excuse.

The difference is is that you don't have a prop gun with blank bullets in your safe, nor are you an actor, you are a gun owner. Everyone is just as surprised that the gun had a real bullet inside of it as they were that it went off..

The fact that he has held plenty of guns and this has not happened before is also testimony that he knows how to handle prop guns. It's an accident, nothing more.

alec-baldwin-the-hunt-for-red-october-1990-EFBEJT.jpg

MrGyre

Executive Member
Contrast this accident with two pro-gun parents buying their son a gun for his birthday and he deliberately shoots up a school, are the same people whinging here over in that thread debating gun safety?

Eniigma

Expert Member
The difference is is that you don't have a prop gun with blank bullets in your safe, nor are you an actor, you are a gun owner. Everyone is just as surprised that the gun had a real bullet inside of it as they were that it went off..

The fact that he has held plenty of guns and this has not happened before is also testimony that he knows how to handle prop guns. It's an accident, nothing more.

alec-baldwin-the-hunt-for-red-october-1990-EFBEJT.jpg

I keep hearing words like "prop gun" and "surprised" and "real bullets" and I don't think you know what they mean.

There is no such thing as a prop gun, it's a real normal gun, it works and functions and is a normal real gun. If I took mine out and used it on set, it would be a prop gun, but would not stop being a real gun. The definition is in the use, not the function.

Again, the surprise comes from the fact he didn't check it.

Blanks can be fatal in the right/wrong circumstances.
There is no accident here, just negligence.

iu

MrGyre

Executive Member
I keep hearing words like "prop gun" and "surprised" and "real bullets" and I don't think you know what they mean.

There is no such thing as a prop gun, it's a real normal gun, it works and functions and is a normal real gun. If I took mine out and used it on set, it would be a prop gun, but would not stop being a real gun. The definition is in the use, not the function.

Again, the surprise comes from the fact he didn't check it.

Blanks can be fatal in the right/wrong circumstances.
There is no accident here, just negligence.

I mean that the gun in your safe, in your house, is serving no other purpose than self-defense. You manage your own safety, your own safe, your own gun. You don't hire people to clean, maintain or use your guns? You are comparing your house and your security to a movie-set and entertainment.

He should have checked it. And people should have checked scaffolding before it collapsed. And people should have checked expiry dates on things before using them. It doesn't change the fact that the gun had a purpose on the set with multiple people managing it. Blame him as a producer, as an actor, as a gun handler, there are plenty of other people to blame too.

Negligence is still an accident, it just shifts more of the blame onto a person based on their capacity for avoiding the situation. Why don't we start blaming the victim and ask why she stood in direct line of the gun without reprimanding him? She was directing his actions after all?

ponder

Honorary Master
Why don't we start blaming the victim and ask why she stood in direct line of the gun without reprimanding him? She was directing his actions after all?

Where do you get that from?

While the trio behind the monitor were repositioning the camera to remove a shadow, Baldwin began explaining to the crew how he planned to draw the firearm.[3] He said, "So, I guess I'm gonna take this out, pull it, and go, 'Bang!'"[5] When he removed it from the holster, the gun fired a single time. Baldwin and Halls have said that Baldwin did not pull the trigger.[34][35] The projectile flew towards the three behind the monitor, striking Hutchins in the chest and Souza in the shoulder.[4][30][36]

Sounds like the people behind the camera were busy doing their own thing and Baldwin was carrying on on his own.

MrGyre

Executive Member
Where do you get that from?

Sounds like the people behind the camera were busy doing their own thing and Baldwin was carrying on on his own.

Read something different

"She's guiding me through how she wants me to hold the gun for this angle.
"I'm holding the gun where she told me to hold it, which ended up being aimed right below her armpit."
To get the shot, the actor said he needed to cock the gun - but not fire it.

"The trigger wasn't pulled. I didn't pull the trigger.
"I cock the gun. I go, 'Can you see that? Can you see that? Can you see that?'
"And then I let go of the hammer of the gun, and the gun goes off," he said.

notayoba

Expert Member
Alec Baldwin being such a nasty unlikable character is skewing a lot of opinions on who's liable.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
I see MyBB experts still hard at work on this case

It's like the 'blue dress' saga all over again, worldwide endless debates. Most people fall strongly on one side or the other. Few can accept there can be objective, legal and scientific facts.

Defonotaltaccount

Expert Member
Everyone on AB side.
Out Herr making excuses and false equivalencies.
Looking at the short gyreocopter.
Alec killed a person and wounded another.
Real gun.
Real bullets.
Would have been avoided had he just covfefed and checked the gun.

MrGyre

Executive Member
Everyone on AB side.
Out Herr making excuses and false equivalencies.
Looking at the short gyreocopter.
Alec killed a person and wounded another.
Real gun.
Real bullets.
Would have been avoided had he just covfefed and checked the gun.

Nobody denied he killed a person, we were just debating the level of accountability based on his role/roles.

MrGyre

Executive Member
Extreme to complete.
Please dont compare the school shooters to AB unless you plan to include.

Not comparing to a school shooting, just remarked that someone who values gun safety so highly, is strangely absent from every other gun safety related thread.

AB: Should have checked his gun and been more careful, he is wrong about gun control, he can't even handle a gun
10 other gun threads: /crickets

Defonotaltaccount

Expert Member
Not comparing to a school shooting, just remarked that someone who values gun safety so highly, is strangely absent from every other gun safety related thread.

AB: Should have checked his gun and been more careful, he is wrong about gun control, he can't even handle a gun
10 other gun threads: /crickets
Oh well.
Cant be repeating the same schart over and over.
If you link them i can go over and have a look.
All 10 please.

Oh and that kids parents werent wrong except for one point.
As far as i can tell.
They never locked it up.